please drop your own argument Watch

himamshu
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Is community more important than an individual?
TheTree0fDeath
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
The community is more important because individuals rely on society to have any quality of life - if it wasn’t for community all the individuals would be suffering.

This is where the whole “every man for himself - why should I pay tax to help the poor?” argument that you get on the right falls down.

Like everyone benefits from living in a state with a government, laws, healthcare etc and so everyone should contribute to the state in tax.

If you really don’t want to pay tax and think you don’t need society or community go live your whole life alone in Alaska, or some random island in Scotland taking nothing with you. Otherwise you basically owe everything to society for giving you the opportunity to not die.

Even if you are the rich owner of a huge company with private healthcare and stuff you still owe the state for security and for looking after and providing transport for your employees. No one can say they don’t need/owe society and everyone should have to give something back.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
bfm.mcdermott
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I wouldn’t say one is more “important” but sometimes it’s needed to benefit the community even if it’s at the disadvantage to an individual.

Individuals are dependant on the community and in order to take something, you have to give things back too or it won’t work. If we act as if our individual self is more important than the community, we may benefit in the short-term but overall we will lack the support we need from the community.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
that_guy874
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
The individual is so much more important as a community is made up of numerous individuals. In order to have a society, there must first be an individual. Therefore, the individual is more important than a community might think, for without some individuals, there is no communal innovation as the ideas proposed to the community by the individual wouldn't be born. The individual needs to be strong or the community will never be strong.

The individual can cause as much of a change as the community as it can take one person to change our society or environment.
It's the individual that improves the communtiy, not the community in itself.
It's the individual that causes innovation and new ideas, not the community.
It's the musician that creates the music, not the record label.

Hence, the individual is most important.
sm_official
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Both are equally important as each other. Case closed.
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Report 7 months ago
individuals aren't that important. if i lost my job tomorrow, someone else would fill it. when i die the world will go on without me.

the community is more important because it benefits us and it is necessary for our personal survival. indeed it is rare that a person can survive in solitude.
goggleyed
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Joleee)
individuals aren't that important. if i lost my job tomorrow, someone else would fill it. when i die the world will go on without me.

the community is more important because it benefits us and it is necessary for our personal survival. indeed it is rare that a person can survive in solitude.
but a community is made from the individuals who make it what it is
goggleyed
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Both are equally important. This is like the chicken or the egg question. Couldn't have a chicken without the egg but you can't have an egg without the chicken
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by goggleyed)
but a community is made from the individuals who make it what it is
but a community will not end just because it loses one member. it will survive. it's not dependent on you.

you, however, are dependent on it. that's what makes it more important.
goggleyed
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Joleee)
but a community will not end just because it loses one member. it will survive. it's not dependent on you.

you, however, are dependent on it. that's what makes it more important.
are people really 'dependant' of a community though??
MJ4545
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Depends on the perspective
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (44)
60.27%
No (29)
39.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise