Do you think we are being to harsh on Theresa May?

Watch
ben.anderson
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
This will not probably be of popular opinion but here we go...

I am not her biggest supporter but she was left with the mess of Brexit. I can't help but think she has tried her best, while her party turns against her.

The deal seems pretty good in my opinion (as someone who voted Brexit).

Do you really think that it's a good idea to risk letting Mr. Mogg into Number 10 for the sake of outing Theresa May?
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
nah
sm_official
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's the thing with politics, everyone has a say and an opinion, some of us tend to have more rash opinions without having any perspective but themselves. As far as this situation goes it will be interesting to see what he does, since Theresa May wasn't really elected into the role of PM, I suppose he is saving his end game for elections.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ben.anderson)

I am not her biggest supporter but she was left with the mess of Brexit. I can't help but think she has tried her best, while her party turns against her.

Do you really think that it's a good idea to risk letting Mr. Mogg into Number 10 for the sake of outing Theresa May?
No we aren’t being harsh.

Her negotiating position is a joke and gives neither the benefits of staying in the eu or the benefits of leaving properly.

It’s worse than staying in the eu, I voted for brexit also
Johnathan94
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I was saying this to my partner recently but given that it's her party who actually gave birth to the sh*t-storm that is Brexit, and therefore partly her own fault, I don't think sympathy is really justified.

You can't really collect a 'Pride of Britain' award for your heroism if you're the one who set fire to the orphanage in the first place.
username3890778
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We’re not being harsh enough
Grassh0pper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Jacob Rees-Mogg would do a better job than May, hell even Larry the cat would. All that May will be remembered for is making Corbyn look like a credible leader in comparison.
viddy9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I concur. Her deal is almost certainly better than anything that the hard Brexiteer crowd could come up with. She (or her adviser, Olly Robbins) has skilfully kept to the letter of the Conservative manifesto, while managing to get a relatively soft Brexit in the process. If you think that the deal seems pretty good, I suspect that you'd also like the Norway/EEA option, which is hopefully where we will end up. May was wrong to adopt the red line of leaving the Single Market, and I hope that she softens it.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 year ago
no i actually agree with you - she was left with a mess and i'm sure she hasn't slept well in 2 years. whenever i see/hear Leavers whinge it annoys me to no end; i mean this was never going to be easy. you can't just snap your fingers and repeal or re-write 1000 new laws, not to mention the endless negotiating.

at the same time, they did it to themselves by recklessly calling for a referendum they didn't even want.

i have no opinion on whether she should be ousted tho. it's not like someone else is going to get Brexit done sooner. we're still in the same Brexit boat.
hailye2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
"We believe that these values must be stressed: tradition; nation; family; religious ethics; free enterprise. We want to use the leadership election to argue for principles and policies, not about personalities. We must seize the centre ground and pull it kicking and screaming towards us. That is the only way to demolish the foundations of the liberal establishment and demonstrate to the electorate the fundamental flaws on which it is based." It sounds like something I'd hear out of the United States and not the European Union - it comes from the Cornerstone Group that Mogg is part of.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I agree. May got a raw deal. But then she knew that. This whole Brexit debacle is a farce. None of the sabre rattlers that called for and won the referendum are around and neither will they be affected by the outcome. Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Gove, Davis, Cameron et al have all retreated to to the comfort of their millionaire mansions. Meanwhile, it is the man on the street who will take the financial hit for this pathetic Tory infighting. They called the election. You would have thought someone might have decided what to do if the country voted leave. What does it say about the organisation we want to leave where 27 countries can agree on a negotiating position, but our own governmental cabinet can't? It is beyond pathetic. And this week May is likely to be ousted and for the second time in 2 years during one of the most politically crucial times in our entire history, Britain is going to be without a leader. And the clock continues to tick.

Brexit from a Tory point of view has nothing to do with Britain or its political position within Europe. It is a Tory bun fight over an ideological concept that is being fought by around 30 people in the party. They alone will wreck this country and those on the streets who support them are blind in my opinion. May is just political collateral damage but if we do leave in a hard manner, I foresee our country going into crisis the likes of which we have not seen since the war. Our government has already shown that it can not lead or make decisions. When there are daily 40 mile queues on the M20 and A26 in France of trucks desperately trying to get into and out of the country and empty shelves on our supermarkets, we will wonder if it is all worth it.

And yes - I will eat my words (unlike Johnson) but I am yet to hear any Brexiteer tell me why this will not be the case post Brexit.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
She has an impossible job.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Johnathan94)
I was saying this to my partner recently but given that it's her party who actually gave birth to the sh*t-storm that is Brexit, and therefore partly her own fault, I don't think sympathy is really justified.

You can't really collect a 'Pride of Britain' award for your heroism if you're the one who set fire to the orphanage in the first place.
So many of the leading Tories who were anti-Brexit, like Theresa May, remained basically silent during the referendum campaign. They were content to leave the field to lies and nincompoopery and, still worse, foreign influence and control. The biggest funder of Leave, Aaron Banks, met with the Russian ambassador eleven times during the campaign, presumably to receive his instructions.
Pantera Fan Club
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
She's easy to critcise, but I doubt Corbyn could do the same. The EU is being troublesome, corporations are scared and every MP has a different opinion on 'Brexit'. I support her leadership, I think she's doing the best with what she has.
s.a.u
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Left with? She had a choice. No one forced her to become PM. No one forced her to stay. No one forced her to hold and election and lose dozens of seats. No sympathy for her at all. Incompetent trash.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pantera Fan Club)
The EU is being troublesome
How? Their position is quite clear. It is all or nothing. If we have a customs union you have to have a hard border in NI. If we have access to the single market we have to accept uncontrolled immigration. It really is quite simple. The problem we face is that our beloved government can't decide on a unified direction of travel. The ball is in our court. It is the EUs club. They decide on the rules. We can take them or leave them, just like being a member of any club. It is the folks who think we can somehow have our cake and eat it post Brexit that do my head in. I have no idea what planet they live on, but it certainly isn't the planet reality.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
'risk letting Mogg in' as if Mogg would be the end of us all when he's just a slightly odd posh boi lmao
cheesecakelove
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Although she wasn't responsible for bringing the Brexit vote and campaigning for Britain to leave the EU without having a proper plan in place (David Cameron, Boris Johnson, etc.), I do feel that she goes from mistake to mistake during her leadership. It is a hard role to fulfil, but she does have to accept responsibility for the things she has done as PM.
PilgrimOfTruth
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am not her biggest supporter but she was left with the mess of Brexit. I can't help but think she has tried her best, while her party turns against her. The deal seems pretty good in my opinion (as someone who voted Brexit).

You need to understand that ALL these politicians work for the EU. May is simply doing what she is told to do which appears to be delay, delay, delay. She will further the EU agenda as every PM before her has done since Harold Wilson. Doesn't matter who you vote for if you are voting for the mainstream parties. They will all do likewise.

So no point feeling sorry for May. She's just another politician whose strings are being operated by the elitist masters.
hailye2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
Although she wasn't responsible for bringing the Brexit vote and campaigning for Britain to leave the EU without having a proper plan in place (David Cameron, Boris Johnson, etc.), I do feel that she goes from mistake to mistake during her leadership. It is a hard role to fulfil, but she does have to accept responsibility for the things she has done as PM.
It's very hard to appease such a diverse political movement that hates any deviation from the other. The Tories can only really attest to supporting the "cultural British" vote, whereas the rest is against some part of the Tories.

The immigration and economic issues will basically alienate the neoliberal Tories whereas the Tories don't seem to be on-top of the Islamophobic Brexiters either.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads