Full time job and part time masters??!!

Watch
acac95
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey guys

Starting a part time masters course in October... How possible do you think it would be to work a full time job and study a part time MA?? Any experiences you could share? How difficult would it be??
sophia5892
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How many hours is your job?
I’ve not studied part time - I did my MA full-time - and worked an average of 30 hours per week. I was advised I couldn’t pass the MA on more than 10 hours work a week so in my experience unis do tend to be overly cautious.
That said, it’ll depend on things like how long your shifts are, how tiring the work is, do you have a long commute that adds to your day, do you have family commitments or kids etc that also take up your time?

I worked at the uni so I could easily pop between lectures and work. And my hours were flexible so I could work less when I had deadlines looming and work more when I didn’t.
Justmac
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think the timings of your lecturers will play a big part, as well as the type of job and how demanding it is. I'm starting my masters in September too (part time) and planning to work full time (interview tomorrow) 😬. With the option to go part time if it's too much. I will only have one module per semester with lectures one evening a week. Working 9/10-3/4 with not too much work to take home. I will still need to manage my time really well but I have no kids or other commitments which should make it easier. Time management will be key to stay on top of everything. Goodluck!
Justmac
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
*lectures
Alan88
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have just finished my first year of a part-time MSc whilst working a 30 hour week and holding numerous volunteer jobs. I also commute an hour and a half each way between University and home. It is possible to work and study, but I will be honest at times it is a struggle.

For the past academic year, I took two modules per semester. As the above said, the times of your lectures as well as how many days you are expected to attend is likely going to play a big part in whether it is possible. I was lucky in that all of my sessions were on a Wednesday, between 12pm - 8pm. But when I was looking at different institutions, some were expecting part-time students to come in across multiple days. Whilst this is probably out of the control of the programme leaders due to internal timetabling, it is certainly not ideal if you also have other commitments such as employment. I worked full days on Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri and had Wed as my day on campus. I volunteer an evening a week too so I really dedicated the weekends to doing my research/ assignments, with some preparation in the week.

One of the most difficult things is trying to get motivated to get on with uni stuff after a full day at work. My advice would be to try and keep on top of your work as much as possible. You don't want your university commitments impacting on your work commitments. Try and follow a similar pattern to what I did, where you dedicate the evenings to doing your lecture/ seminar preparation and ensure you make a conscious effort to attend all of your sessions. If you are struggling to do your assignments in the week, you'll definitely need to be proactive on the weekends.

Use the coming months to prepare you for what is no doubt going to be a stressful time - I'm not trying to convince you its not possible, but rather, I want you to know how hard you are going to have to work. Be prepared for a lot of self-sacrificing also. Now that the Summer break is here I'm so relived to just have my head out of the books and have some time which I can actually spend with the friends and family I've had to neglect... until September anyway. Work hard and stay committed and it is definitely worth it the results. I have had all my marks back and I achieved 70%+ in all my assignments. That just shows you it really is possible if you are prepared to put in the work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.53%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (12)
14.12%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
18.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.59%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
18.82%

Watched Threads