The Student Room Group

in the end of year 10 and struggling

i didnt revise for my mocks and literally got only 3s and 4s when im a 9's student, i regret this and im doing better now, but how many hours of revision should i do to get back to that level? is it possible for me to still do well in my gcses?
Remember it's not how MANY hours of revision, it's how EFFECTIVE your revision is. If you're motivated and want to do well then I don't see why you couldn't do well tbh, you still have plenty of time:smile:
Original post by moonandstarss
Remember it's not how MANY hours of revision, it's how EFFECTIVE your revision is. If you're motivated and want to do well then I don't see why you couldn't do well tbh, you still have plenty of time:smile:

thanks man :-:
Original post by endergirl123
i didnt revise for my mocks and literally got only 3s and 4s when im a 9's student, i regret this and im doing better now, but how many hours of revision should i do to get back to that level? is it possible for me to still do well in my gcses?

Yes you can still do well. Use this as a lesson - you need to revise in order to do well. Make sure you revise effectively and you'll be just fine for your real exams.
Reply 4
I think you're worrying too much, the most important GCSEs are in year 11. If you insist on revising for exams that could change in the next academic year, then its best to revise three important subjects per day for a few days. No one can help in advising how long you study as it's about your own development, so you should decide the number of hours and days spent on revision.
Reply 5
My advice would be to set goals of the topics you want to cover each day and do them. I find that it’s easier than sticking to a timetable.
However, if you are worried about how much you do, make a time table of when you want to revise and when you want to relax!
Reply 6
I'm also in Year 10 and I only studied for my mocks 2 days before and got 7s-5s when I know I'm capable of getting 9s. You should make many notes over the summer- you don't even need to revise them, just make summary sheets of every single topic you studied for every subject. That would make Year 11 way easier since you'll only be learning from those resources. That's what I'm going to do.
Of course it's possible to do well in your GCSEs. Year 10 mocks don't mean **** and revision makes a huge difference to your grades. Also bare in mind that you're doing the new gcses so the teachers may have chosen to give you high grade boundaries (even though no one actually knows what the grade boundaries will be) as that's what my school did. As for how many hours you need to do, that depends on you as a person and also how effective your revision is. 3 hours of effective revision is better than 7 hours of ineffective revision. If you're someone who has to work hard for good grades then you would need to do more. I wouldn't revise at the moment but make sure you do lots of revision for your year 11 mocks as this is the perfect opportunity to learn what kind of revision is most effective for you.

Yes
Reply 9
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch

Also bare in mind that you're doing the new gcses so the teachers may have chosen to give you high grade boundaries (even though no one actually knows what the grade boundaries will be) as that's what my school did.

This is very important- before next school year, teachers didn't have any way to set reasonable bell curve grade boundaries. This will change with the 2018 papers being released, but you shouldn't be too upset if your current grades are lower. Based on trends, they should increase once the teachers are given the proper resources-the ones that the class of 2018 teachers didn't have.

Funny little story. y11 december mocks there was a 13% passrate of history- 87% of my cohort failed with a 3 or lower. Why?
They had set a 4 at 75%.
Sometimes its just lack of resources.
Original post by /JR/
This is very important- before next school year, teachers didn't have any way to set reasonable bell curve grade boundaries. This will change with the 2018 papers being released, but you shouldn't be too upset if your current grades are lower. Based on trends, they should increase once the teachers are given the proper resources-the ones that the class of 2018 teachers didn't have.

Funny little story. y11 december mocks there was a 13% passrate of history- 87% of my cohort failed with a 3 or lower. Why?
They had set a 4 at 75%.
Sometimes its just lack of resources.

wtf why would a 4 be 75% LMAO. like my school set quite high grade boundaries but they were like the worst case scenario grade boundaries but Jesus Christ your school teachers are on something tf. But anyway your point still stands, grade boundaries will be v low this year and probably next year as well because the exams are harder and it's also the first year of them. I get pretty **** marks on the specimen papers for science but get A*s on all the past papers (of the old spec) and in theory you get the same equivalent grade whichever spec you do so hopefully that means I'll get an 8 but who knows wtf the exam boards are gonna do.

Revise until you know everything you need to know. You will feel it physically if you are confident answering questions on a topic. It could be 2 hours, or it could be 9. Empower yourself by taking on the responsibility for your studies. Study like you want to learn, not like it's only worth the grade.

Refer to the syllabus to make a checklist of things you need to know. Go through everything. Learn how to use the Cornell note taking method. Practice planning and writing past papers and mock exams. Get your teacher to mark them, and to talk you through how to improve.

Time yourself studying until you notice your attention failing. Study in stints of this length.

Learn how to write. Get on your computer and open a text program. Practice writing until the words on the page express your thoughts as closely as possible. Edit out redundancy, go over the same thought 7 times. Combine the best bits of each. Learn to distinguish the useful writing from the excess.

Good for you for setting your priorities straight. I hope you do really well!
Reply 12
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
wtf why would a 4 be 75% LMAO. like my school set quite high grade boundaries but they were like the worst case scenario grade boundaries but Jesus Christ your school teachers are on something tf. But anyway your point still stands, grade boundaries will be v low this year and probably next year as well because the exams are harder and it's also the first year of them. I get pretty **** marks on the specimen papers for science but get A*s on all the past papers (of the old spec) and in theory you get the same equivalent grade whichever spec you do so hopefully that means I'll get an 8 but who knows wtf the exam boards are gonna do.

also make sure to practice as much as possible because talking from experience, boards such as aqa will throw curveballs at you in the exam- like asking about lesser expressed themes in english literature or wording a question about chadwick so weirdly that many got that answer wrong simply because they were confused as they were told not to learn it at all. Be meticulous in your revision, take the advice of the person above me and you should do fine.
Original post by /JR/
also make sure to practice as much as possible because talking from experience, boards such as aqa will throw curveballs at you in the exam- like asking about lesser expressed themes in english literature or wording a question about chadwick so weirdly that many got that answer wrong simply because they were confused as they were told not to learn it at all. Be meticulous in your revision, take the advice of the person above me and you should do fine.

100% Good advice :wink: Have some rep!
Original post by Trust Orang
Revise until you know everything you need to know. You will feel it physically if you are confident answering questions on a topic. It could be 2 hours, or it could be 9. Empower yourself by taking on the responsibility for your studies. Study like you want to learn, not like it's only worth the grade.

Refer to the syllabus to make a checklist of things you need to know. Go through everything. Learn how to use the Cornell note taking method. Practice planning and writing past papers and mock exams. Get your teacher to mark them, and to talk you through how to improve.

Time yourself studying until you notice your attention failing. Study in stints of this length.

Learn how to write. Get on your computer and open a text program. Practice writing until the words on the page express your thoughts as closely as possible. Edit out redundancy, go over the same thought 7 times. Combine the best bits of each. Learn to distinguish the useful writing from the excess.

Thanks for taking your time! I hope that I do well, I'm kinda scared however your comment has given me hope, tysm! :3 hmmm I'll do what u said dude, and do my best.
Original post by Trust Orang

Thanks for taking your time! I hope that I do well, I'm kinda scared however your comment has given me hope, tysm! :3 hmmm I'll do what u said dude, and do my best.
Original post by /JR/

Thanks :smile: (Pokemon reference?) I am struggling on English the most eeeeeeeeeek. But your advice is so helpful

Quick Reply

Latest