This discussion is closed.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
M496 - PCS Neutrality Motion, TSR Libertarian Party

That this house believes the PCS, the union that represents civil servants, should not be able to affiliate with any political party.

The Civil Service code is very clear that civil servants should have at its core value "integrity, honesty, objectivity and impartiality." Being in a Trade Union does not stop this, but being in a Trade Union that affiliates with a political party goes directly against the civil service code.

The Government should bring forward legislation, that requires members of the civil service to be in a union which is not affiliated with any political party. As the PCS is the largest union for members of the civil service, it should be not allowed to affiliate with any political party, and should not be allowed to spend money on candidates or other activites for political parties.

username3796922
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye - this is a sensible motion. Though the Labour Party is widely regarded as the party of trade unions, I must agree with the Libertarian Party that PCS affiliating to a political party would have a negative impact on the integrity and impartiality of the civil service. I have faith that the members of PCS will be supported by members of all political parties in any necessary action, and although I am slightly concerned about the potential strength and funding political affiliation could provide, I will support this motion unless otherwise swayed by debate.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye.
username1450924
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye. I will be voting in favour of this
Trevism
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
While I agree that the Civil Service should always be politically impartial, I am sceptical as to the reasoning behind this from the Libertarian Party. Indeed, do they see our civil service as politically biased? I personally don't see an issue with the current situation regarding PCS, they have not to date affliated with any particular political party, and given their line of work I doubt they would. So while this motion may have good intentions, it is ultimately a waste of time.
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye, seems like a sensible idea.
username3796922
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Trevism)
While I agree that the Civil Service should always be politically impartial, I am sceptical as to the reasoning behind this from the Libertarian Party. Indeed, do they see our civil service as politically biased? I personally don't see an issue with the current situation regarding PCS, they have not to date affliated with any particular political party, and given their line of work I doubt they would. So while this motion may have good intentions, it is ultimately a waste of time.
An excellent point by my Hon friend.
LibertarianMP
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye
username1450924
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Trevism)
https://www.pcs.org.uk/news/get-along-to-labour-live

I submitted the motion because it is illogical for civil servants to be neutral whilst also being a member of a union which is biased to a particular party.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have no reason to object to this to be honest.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tommy1boy)
https://www.pcs.org.uk/news/get-along-to-labour-live

I submitted the motion because it is illogical for civil servants to be neutral whilst also being a member of a union which is biased to a particular party.
Thank you for posting this link, that swings me in favour of this motion at this point.
Saoirse:3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe it's illegal for civil servants to be members of a political party, so long as they remain impartial in their work and do not use official resources for party politics. If so, I don't see the merit in this idea.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A good motion that has my full support.
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why? It's not illegal for them to be a party member?
username1450924
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoffeeGeek)
Why? It's not illegal for them to be a party member?
Well thank you that is something I will look into.
Dafios9128
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye. Unions shouldn't be tied to political parties
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Saoirse and CoffeeGeek raise a good point
LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Will have to watch the debate as it continues, couldn't be steered towards an aye until the several points raised already have been properly addressed.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
This has entered cessation.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This went to vote here but the link was never put in at the time.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (498)
59.78%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.16%
No- I want it (236)
28.33%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.72%

Watched Threads