History question Watch

NBlades
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Why was coal a key aspect that accelerated the birth of industrialised Britain between 1750 to 1900?
#clueless
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It was integral to the running of the steam engine which was the precursor to industrialisation and led to the development of the railway industry which accelerated the urbanisation of the country tenfold. Coal throughout history has also been one of the most important aspects of the British industrial economy, particularly in the North-East, so perhaps it could be inferred that coal itself was not so important as the minds who put it to good use, such as Thomas Newcomen or John Smeaton.

Furthermore, if you interpret "industrialised Britain" as not just the industrialised side of Britain between 1750 and 1900 but also as contemporary social attitudes, it introduced a new identity for the working class. To exemplify this identity (though it is rather far out of the time period), modern reactions to Thatcher's economic policies in the 1980s with the closure of the mines in the north evoke a strong sense of identity among many communities. However, to counteract this point one might consider Luddism in the 1810s as a violent reaction against this industrialisation.
NBlades
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by #clueless)
It was integral to the running of the steam engine which was the precursor to industrialisation and led to the development of the railway industry which accelerated the urbanisation of the country tenfold. Coal throughout history has also been one of the most important aspects of the British industrial economy, particularly in the North-East, so perhaps it could be inferred that coal itself was not so important as the minds who put it to good use, such as Thomas Newcomen or John Smeaton.

Furthermore, if you interpret "industrialised Britain" as not just the industrialised side of Britain between 1750 and 1900 but also as contemporary social attitudes, it introduced a new identity for the working class. To exemplify this identity (though it is rather far out of the time period), modern reactions to Thatcher's economic policies in the 1980s with the closure of the mines in the north evoke a strong sense of identity among many communities. However, to counteract this point one might consider Luddism in the 1810s as a violent reaction against this industrialisation.
This is quite helpful. Thank you for taking the time to answer a strangers question
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19
  • Swansea University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19
  • De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 16 Feb '19

Do you give blood?