elaborate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boss987)
    Arguments against and for
    Che Guevara by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordzeyy)
    elaborate
    I went to medical school so I can cause social change. What does it mean? Explain why he should not use medicine as a tool. Your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robsmith00)
    Che Guevara by any chance?
    That's a very good example. I think need some arguments for and against. Like you can't force social changes on the patient, e.g. weight loss, quit smoking and etc. That's the only things I can think off

ReputationRep:
    Any other ideas? Guys.

ReputationRep:
    Any other ideas? Guys.
    Well what if a community in remote Nepal has a large elderly population with high rates of cataracts and you use your medical ability to operate and cure their cataracts? It will have a societal change on the level of the village/community you helped people in. Social change. You could also write books/ go into education or academia.

ReputationRep:
    I went to medical school so I can cause social change. What does it mean? Explain why he should not use medicine as a tool. Your opinion?
    I'm bloody confused. what are YOUR opinions on it, are you saying you think its a bad thing to cause social change or to study medicine??

ReputationRep:
    You really need to elaborate.

What exactly do you want from us? How did you want to enact social change through going to med school?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Well what if a community in remote Nepal has a large elderly population with high rates of cataracts and you use your medical ability to operate and cure their cataracts? It will have a societal change on the level of the village/community you helped people in. Social change. You could also write books/ go into education or academia.
    I think its more like forcing patients to change socially. The problem, however, is u can't force a patient as you have to consider patient autonomy.

ReputationRep:
    Trying to get help with your personal statement? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    You really need to elaborate.

What exactly do you want from us? How did you want to enact social change through going to med school?
    This is a question. I have not been given more information.

I went to medical school so I can cause social change. What does this mean? Explain why you should not use medicine as a tool. Your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    Trying to get help with your personal statement? :lol:
    No. This is a question from previous years. I am just using it to get practice with essays and forming opinions

ReputationRep:
    I think its more like forcing patients to change socially. The problem, however, is u can't force a patient as you have to consider patient autonomy.
    Possibly but you don’t have to force anything on people to cause change in society, you are helping people with their own concent in the examples I listed. But of course there are doctors in the past and now who have forced things on patients against their will.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly but you don’t have to force anything on people to cause change in society, you are helping people with their own concent in the examples I listed. But of course there are doctors in the past and now who have forced things on patients against their will.
    Yeah. It could also include vaccinations, which will help a society to eradicate a specific disease. I have lots of arguments for why doctors shouldn't try to cause a change in society rather just cure and manage the patient. I haven't got any arguments for why they should, and even if it breaks the idea of autonomy. Thx

ReputationRep:
    Well this is... broad.

The first thing that jumps to mind for me, is that the medical professional is meant to put the needs and considerations of the patient first. If you enter the scenario with your own personal agenda, it is impossible to prioritise the patient experience above that.

Doctors also have a position of power, in the sense that they are looked up to by... well... everyone. Forcing (or manipulating) an opinion on someone, under the role of a Doctor, is a misuse of that power.

I'm still confused how being in medical school and causing social change are related though. What even is the context of the essay?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. It could also include vaccinations, which will help a society to eradicate a specific disease. I have lots of arguments for why doctors shouldn't try to cause a change in society rather just cure and manage the patient. I haven't got any arguments for why they should, and even if it breaks the idea of autonomy. Thx
    If you are preparing for ethical scenarios and questions be familiar with the four pillars of medical ethics, and relate your answer to each point if you want to keep it simple and become familiar with each point.

ReputationRep:
    (
    (Original post by Another)
    Well this is... broad.

The first thing that jumps to mind for me, is that the medical professional is meant to put the needs and considerations of the patient first. If you enter the scenario with your own personal agenda, it is impossible to prioritise the patient experience above that.

Doctors also have a position of power, in the sense that they are looked up to by... well... everyone. Forcing (or manipulating) an opinion on someone, under the role of a Doctor, is a misuse of that power.

I'm still confused how being in medical school and causing social change are related though. What even is the context of the essay?
    It was a previous Bmat essay. Thank you for ur points. No, it's more like someone's entering medical school (allowing them to be a doctor) just to cause social change

ReputationRep:
    If you are preparing for ethical scenarios and questions be familiar with the four pillars of medical ethics, and relate your answer to each point if you want to keep it simple and become familiar with each point.
    That's a very good point. THANKS

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2018
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.