Plagiarism or cheating Watch

A_Literal_Mess
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hypothetically speaking, If one was to plagiarize an entire folio but making sure to leave no traces to best ability, how soon would you find out you've been caught? Would it be during summer period (Contacted) or day of results? I haven't done this it's a hypothetical question
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Day of results in our dept.
A_Literal_Mess
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
Day of results in our dept.
What would you suggest would be punishment? Failure of that subject? Points deducted? Failure of all subjects? Hypothetically what are the chances of being caught in this scenario?
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by A_Literal_Mess)
What would you suggest would be punishment? Failure of that subject? Points deducted? Failure of all subjects? Hypothetically what are the chances of being caught in this scenario?
Not sure how it would be in a school or college, I only work in universities so that is where my experience of dealing with plagiarism ends.
A_Literal_Mess
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
Not sure how it would be in a school or college, I only work in universities so that is where my experience of dealing with plagiarism ends.
Well thank you for your help
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thought this was about UNI level, saw that it isnt, ignore me.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rimstone)
Me too initially, haha.
A_Literal_Mess
Rep:
?
sorry about the confusion though, but out of interest what would you of answered?
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
sorry about the confusion though, but out of interest what would you of answered?
nah my bad, should have looked where this was posted .

At UNI, past first year, its very likely you'll get kicked out of that UNI, its taken pretty seriously to pass someone else's work as your, and at UNI they expect better you and expect you to know by then that plagiarism doesnt fly. Some give warning out in first year, so if you get caught you are told not to, and at that stage know you 100% shouldnt. If you dont get kicked out youll 100% lose marks or at some UNI's get capped at 40%.

At A-level, in my experience, they would ask you to replace the work/plagiarized bit, give you a good telling off, if they havent submitted the work for external marking.

but In scotland i have no idea how the education system worked esp under UNI; myself being from england.
A_Literal_Mess
Rep:
?

At UNI, past first year, its very likely you'll get kicked out of that UNI, its taken pretty seriously to pass someone else's work as your, and at UNI they expect better you and expect you to know by then that plagiarism doesnt fly. Some give warning out in first year, so if you get caught you are told not to, and at that stage know you 100% shouldnt. If you dont get kicked out youll 100% lose marks or at some UNI's get capped at 40%.

At A-level, in my experience, they would ask you to replace the work/plagiarized bit, give you a good telling off, if they havent submitted the work for external marking.

but In scotland i have no idea how the education system worked esp under UNI; myself being from england.

Honestly i'm just here trying to get a better idea about how the system works and what you said is very helpful so thank you
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Levels are different in Scotland but it would be the same for being caught plagiarizing.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
A_Literal_Mess
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bio 7)
Levels are different in Scotland but it would be the same for being caught plagiarizing.
So consequences in high schools would be the same as UNI?
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So consequences in high schools would be the same as UNI?
This booklet details the possible consequences of plagiarising SQA coursework (page 6):
https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/SQA...rk_2017-18.pdf
A_Literal_Mess
Rep:
?
(Original post by Labrador99)
This booklet details the possible consequences of plagiarising SQA coursework (page 6):
https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/SQA...rk_2017-18.pdf
Thank you, i have read this before but im looking for a more personal answer such as what are the chances of being caught and how the process of catching the offenders works
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you, i have read this before but im looking for a more personal answer such as what are the chances of being caught and how the process of catching the offenders works

It's pretty much impossible to say what the chances of being caught are, as while the number of cases where candidates have been caught will be known, the number of candidates who have committed some form of malpractice but have not been caught will not be known, as they won't have been recorded as such.
In terms of identifying offenders, the SQA uses plagiarism identifying software, alongside markers and teachers knowing their stuff and basically knowing what malpractice looks like.
If you still want to know more about this, contacting the SQA directly will probably get you the most personal answer in this case.
TADADADA
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also I believe people get contacted before results say because they need to be informed they are being investigated for malpractice?
A_Literal_Mess
Rep:
?
That's what I assumed, thanks
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just don’t do it, you’re obviously asking because you’ve either done it or are planning to. Produce your own work.
A_Literal_Mess
Rep:
?
I haven't done it nor am I planning to do It, I know the consequences and would feel guilty to the point of it ruining my health. I'm here to get a better understanding from others rather than read the same 8 sheets online so that I'm able to write and produce a story with as much fact as I can highlighting the dangers and ins and outs of plagiarism and misconduct. Not everyone has bad intentions and I've "obviously" not stated mine correctly, so with a little help from the community I'd like to produce my own work and help others. thank you very much
Daniel.Scribbler
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hypothetically speaking, If one was to plagiarize an entire folio but making sure to leave no traces to best ability, how soon would you find out you've been caught? Would it be during summer period (Contacted) or day of results? I haven't done this it's a hypothetical question
It sounds like a well-planned plagiarism violation. Many cheaters, students or any unoriginal authors may not have been exposed for years, but, as a rule, Justice wins. This article reveals 7 reasons people plagiarize. How do you think, what is the main reason?

https://plagiarismsearch.com/blog/7-...lagiarize.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish