How many A* stars for Oxford or Cambridge Universities? Watch

amalelfouly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
How many A* stars will I need to earn a scholarship in GCSEs to enter a university like Cambridge or Oxford?

I really want to know what are the requirements for entering these universities, because I find it really hard to understand the requirements from the official website. What should I do to earn a scholarship, while I am living in Egypt, East Africa.

I want a straight answer, please!
theJoyfulGeek
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
There is no straight answer. It depends. Some people have 11 A*s and don't get in, some people have A*s, As and Bs and get in. If you do really well in your A level mocks the GCSEs aren't as important. Now they're changing the system, so maybe 9s, 8s and 7s?

I don't know about scholarships there, but you don't get anything for doing well in your GCSEs. Your A level mocks and predicted results are the main thing, as well as the interview, and you should do as many activities related to what you want to study as possible so you show your passion. I'm guessing straight 8s at least with a few 9s for a scholarship, ad it's hard enough to get in normally. Or else, many A*s.

If you mean a bursary (scholarships are prestigious, merit based and don't give that much money, bursaries give opportunities to people who wouldn't go there normally) I don't know, sorry.
amalelfouly
Rep:
?
(Original post by theJoyfulGeek)
There is no straight answer. It depends. Some people have 11 A*s and don't get in, some people have A*s, As and Bs and get in. If you do really well in your A level mocks the GCSEs aren't as important. Now they're changing the system, so maybe 9s, 8s and 7s?

I don't know about scholarships there, but you don't get anything for doing well in your GCSEs. Your A level mocks and predicted results are the main thing, as well as the interview, and you should do as many activities related to what you want to study as possible so you show your passion. I'm guessing straight 8s at least with a few 9s for a scholarship, ad it's hard enough to get in normally. Or else, many A*s.

If you mean a bursary (scholarships are prestigious, merit based and don't give that much money, bursaries give opportunities to people who wouldn't go there normally) I don't know, sorry.

Thank you very much for this reply! So, if I got 8s or 9s, this is not enough. There are other things I should do. For example, Business Administration. What are they?
Mikos
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Cambridge cares a lot less about GCSEs than Oxford does. To them, GCSEs are an inaccurate metric to predict how a candidate will do at uni. Most people who go to Cambridge usually have at least 5/6 A*s (or A* equivalents), but keep in mind that Cambridge are much more bothered about A-levels and supercurriculars.

Oxford cares more than Cambridge about GCSEs. How many A* GCSEs they'd expect depends on the course. For something extremely competitive like medicine, you will need a very high proportion of A* grades (8+, probably). For the least competitive courses, you wouldn't need grades like that but if your GCSE grades are horrible, they won't accept you just to fill places. Having mostly A/A* will be preferable, although a couple Bs or Cs here and there shouldn't hurt too much if they're nothing to do with the subject you intend to study.
Having said that, Oxford cares more about A-levels than GCSEs.

My advice? Just do your best! There's no harm applying if you really want to go.
Ratchet Hoe
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Just saying but if you REALLY get to know a professor, you could seduce them or something into getting you a placement maybe... but that’s the Ratchet way!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
GalGirl101
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Like others have said Cambridge aren't too bothered about GCSEs. It depends every year on the course etc etc. What they really care about is A-Levels, How well you do in their test/interviews and the Personal Statement.
amalelfouly
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=GalGirl101;78764340]Like others have said Cambridge aren't too bothered about GCSEs. It depends every year on the course etc etc. What they really care about is A-Levels, How well you do in their test/interviews and the Personal Statement.[/QUOT

what about oxford?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (39)
24.22%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (55)
34.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (27)
16.77%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (14)
8.7%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (26)
16.15%

Watched Threads