The Student Room Group

Don't know what to do after A levels....

(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by ghost17
I am currently studying Business, Maths and Engineering, I am not particularly interested in the subjects I am doing I just really chose them because I am fairly good at maths. I have to apply to uni by the end of the year and I don't know what degree I want to do, what job I hope to get or what uni to go to.

I don't want to take a gap year and really I am only thinking of going to uni just so I can get a good job. I don't really want to go to uni as I absolutely suck at writing essays but I don't want to go straight to full time employment either. I honestly don't know what to do and I only have the summer to decide. I know whatever choice I make now will impact my future but my mind is completely blank at the moment.

Please help :frown:

have you thought of apprenticeships?
Original post by ghost17
I am currently studying Business, Maths and Engineering, I am not particularly interested in the subjects I am doing I just really chose them because I am fairly good at maths. I have to apply to uni by the end of the year and I don't know what degree I want to do, what job I hope to get or what uni to go to.

I don't want to take a gap year and really I am only thinking of going to uni just so I can get a good job. I don't really want to go to uni as I absolutely suck at writing essays but I don't want to go straight to full time employment either. I honestly don't know what to do and I only have the summer to decide. I know whatever choice I make now will impact my future but my mind is completely blank at the moment.

Well, what subjects are you interested in? What are your passions and pursuits? This should help you guide your decisions, far more than A level subjects that you don’t enjoy.
Reply 3
Original post by ghost17

You could do business engineering,
Similar degrees such as industrial engineering would be great too. But it would be a perfect degree considering your a levels.
(edited 5 years ago)
The idea that you're meant to know what you want to do at age 16/17/18 is crazy. Pick something that you feel like you'd be okay at and wouldn't hate. So many people go into a career that they weren't expecting at all. For example, my Maths teacher wanted to study medicine while he was at sixth form, ended up doing a degree in engineering, and is now a Maths teacher :smile:
Original post by ghost17
I don't really have interests, I can't stick to one thing for a long time. I had different interests over the course of my life but most of them were temporary. I've been interested in Art for many years, I have previously been dancing, playing chess, cycling, gaming, crafting, digital design/art, sewing, web designing and the list goes on. A year ago I wanted to be a web developer and few months later and Engineer then I wanted to do Economics and I just can't stick to one thing. Now I don't like anything anymore and there isn't anything I want to be or do.

Everyone I know has their "purpose" or a plan, they have a hobby or interest they had for years and they are so keen on it they see it as a career and aim towards it. One of my friends has 3 hobbies and he has 3 part time jobs which each relate to his interests. It just makes me crazy how everyone has that one thing that keeps them going and I don't. It makes me feel like I have no purpose which makes life meaningless, I feel like I am existing not living.

Ok. The important thing to bear in mind is that some people know what they want to do when they are 18, but many people have no idea. And that’s ok! I applied to read maths at university, and have now rejected all my offers to read music instead. There’s absolutely no point in comparing yourself to people who have found what makes them tick. Just because they have and you haven’t doesn’t mean they’re in any way better than you. Just keep searching, and trying new things until you find your passion 🙂.

I can see this is obviously causing you a lot of grief (e.g. when you say you feel you have no purpose and that life seems meaningless) so I’d recommend seeing a counsellor. Talking this stuff through always helps, especially with a professional.

Hang on in there xxx
me all overrrrrr! except i left sixth form a month a go and i am starting collage in September in something that interests me, have a look around what interests you is it maths or what you know and follow that. hope helped a little x
Original post by ghost17
I don't really have interests, I can't stick to one thing for a long time. I had different interests over the course of my life but most of them were temporary. I've been interested in Art for many years, I have previously been dancing, playing chess, cycling, gaming, crafting, digital design/art, sewing, web designing and the list goes on. A year ago I wanted to be a web developer and few months later and Engineer then I wanted to do Economics and I just can't stick to one thing. Now I don't like anything anymore and there isn't anything I want to be or do.

Everyone I know has their "purpose" or a plan, they have a hobby or interest they had for years and they are so keen on it they see it as a career and aim towards it. One of my friends has 3 hobbies and he has 3 part time jobs which each relate to his interests. It just makes me crazy how everyone has that one thing that keeps them going and I don't. It makes me feel like I have no purpose which makes life meaningless, I feel like I am existing not living.

how are you doing now ?
Thinking the same thing as you, i'm in exactly the same position taking maths physics psychology
Original post by ghost17

Hope it all worked out for you bud

Quick Reply

Latest