Personal statement too political?? Watch

theperformer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I'm in the process of applying for Masters at several different universities.

Anyway one of the courses I'm applying for is EU Law LLM.

For my statement I'm going to talk about the EU assignment I did during undergraduate. One of the topics in this assignment is whether the EU has affected Britain's constitution - and for my personal statement I say that this assignment helped me empathize with Brexit more as I was required to research concerns about the EU's effect on parliamentary sovereignty (a key staple of Britain's constitution).

I wanted to put this down for my PS as I was saying it was thought-provoking as it challenged my own preconceived beleifs and notions of the EU.

I haven't submitted it yet but do you think this could rub the admissions tutors the wrong way?? Brexit is a very sensitive topic for a lot of people, let alone University academics....part of my paranoia thinks that writing about how I empathize more with criticisms of the EU would piss them off? Universities are usually left-wing (and thus very pro-remain).
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Report 8 months ago
in my experience, it's not what you're saying - but how you're saying it. do you have a good argument? is it based on logic and reason or your feelings?

if it's logic/reason you're fine. my law professors always say there are no wrong answers, only wrong arguments.

personally, i haven't heard a convincing argument as to how Parliament lost its sovereignty, but i haven't heard all arguments either.
theperformer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Joleee)
in my experience, it's not what you're saying - but how you're saying it. do you have a good argument? is it based on logic and reason or your feelings?

if it's logic/reason you're fine. my law professors always say there are no wrong answers, only wrong arguments.

personally, i haven't heard a convincing argument as to how Parliament lost its sovereignty, but i haven't heard all arguments either.
I'm not arguing that it has lost its sovereignty, I'm just arguing that researching that area of EU Law gave me insight into the arguments that are pushing Brexit, and in doing so helped me have more empathy for criticisms towards the EU.

I got 67% on my EU assignment arguing both sides so it was fine, but I'm paranoid about putting stuff like in my PS as universities are usually left-wing.
Joleee
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by theperformer)
I'm not arguing that it has lost its sovereignty, I'm just arguing that researching that area of EU Law gave me insight into the arguments that are pushing Brexit, and in doing so helped me have more empathy for criticisms towards the EU.

I got 67% on my EU assignment arguing both sides so it was fine, but I'm paranoid about putting stuff like in my PS as universities are usually left-wing.
i wouldn't be paranoid. a good argument is a good argument.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (23)
11.86%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (16)
8.25%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (43)
22.16%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (28)
14.43%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (25)
12.89%
How can I be the best version of myself? (59)
30.41%

Watched Threads