What to do to beef up personal statement Watch

Rhodesian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I’m in year 12 and I’m gonna plan my personal statement soon.

I want to go into law at some of the best universities and am probably going to apply for Cambridge

What should I be doing over the summer that I can include on my personal statement.

I’m doing an EPQ about the UK prison system but I don’t think it’ll be finished by the time I send of my personal statement. Can I still include it?
I did the NCS challenge last winter but I’m not sure what about NCS I should include.
I’ve also be involved in the ladder to law programme. This basically lets me visit a law firm and learn more about the subject of law and the solicitor career path.

I was just wondering what else I should plan to do over the summer to help beef up my personal statement.

Any recommendations or comments would be helpful.
I know I’ve got plenty of time but I want to get an early start on it
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rhodesian)
Hi, I’m in year 12 and I’m gonna plan my personal statement soon.

I want to go into law at some of the best universities and am probably going to apply for Cambridge

What should I be doing over the summer that I can include on my personal statement.

I’m doing an EPQ about the UK prison system but I don’t think it’ll be finished by the time I send of my personal statement. Can I still include it?
I did the NCS challenge last winter but I’m not sure what about NCS I should include.
I’ve also be involved in the ladder to law programme. This basically lets me visit a law firm and learn more about the subject of law and the solicitor career path.

I was just wondering what else I should plan to do over the summer to help beef up my personal statement.

Any recommendations or comments would be helpful.
I know I’ve got plenty of time but I want to get an early start on it
The EPQ will be good. Do a lot of your reading before you submit. Things like NCS everyone does so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Focus on the subject and your academic interests in it. Read up on what will be taught. Remember that law is an academic degree so admissions officers want to see that you know that and aren't talking about becoming a lawyer because that is not what the degree leads to.
GalGirl101
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Try and Do a UNIQ summer school
bfm.mcdermott
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your EPQ will look good even if you haven't completed it yet. You could read around the subject and potentially mention those books/ideas in your PS. Also TSR has a really good section on tips for personal statements which might help you - and there are examples for each subject so you can see what other law applicants did/wrote about
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (4)
10.81%
Disagree (3)
8.11%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
27.03%
Agree (12)
32.43%
Strongly Agree (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads