Aston university- Optometry lectures

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Student8965)
The foundation programme is for a range of routes such as bio med, pharmacy optom etc. Each route has specific module requirements. There are 4 core modules everyone must do and 4 “optional” modules. I say “optional” because each route requires certain modules.
For Optometry:
1) senses and perception/
Most related to Optometry, about the eyes, ears, balance
2) human anatomy and physiology/
Mainly biology, how the lungs work, digestion etc
3) professional skills/ mainly employment/ communication skills
4)Psychology/ infant behaviour, child development
5) Maths/ alevel maths, algebra etc
6) physics, light, refractions etc
7) identities and inequality, sociology
8) biology, a level biology
I genuinely enjoyed the modules I did, definitely feel prepared.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions about specifics.
What kind of topic are in the maths module? Is there stuff like integration by parts and substitution? How hard does the year get? I'm only asking this because maths was my weakest subject and I don't want to fail this foundation year when I go.
Questions816167
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
Did you have to do a foundation year? Those grades are pretty good I’ve seen people get into aston with BBC
Ibby_mac
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
Hey what was the difficulty of the maths in the foundation year?
joyceemx
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Student8965)
Hi, thank you! The grades were good but I didnt have 2 solid sciences. I studied psychology biology and sociology. So in order to progress to Optometry I had to choose the foundation route, however I am glad I did it, it gives you a chance to get used to uni life and the grading/assessment system.
Did you originally want to to optometry?

Also, what did you write your personal statement on in year 12? Id like to do optometry and am just about to start year 12, I don't have 2 solid sciences though, only biology.
Student2070
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Hey anyone starting optometry this September
UmamaQ
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Are the exams and modules extremely hard or is it relatively easy to progress into the degree it can take u into . I’m planning on doing a foundation year at Aston then audiology after I hopefully! pass
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
28.26%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
33.7%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
8.7%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.26%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.43%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
14.13%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.35%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.17%

Watched Threads