What igcse's should I take if I want to do Clinical Psychology?

Watch this thread
Homeschooler757
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
As previously stated I want to do Clinical Psych at uni and maybe grad school. So to get in to study this at a good university I have to finger out what igcse's that will help me in my ultimate goal. I am already talking Math, English, Biology and Religious Studies. My main other options are Sociology, Psychology, Chemistry or Business Studies. If anyone knows what subjects will help me maybe that are not listed or perhaps suggestions of what combinations of subjects that would work( bare in mind I am doing these exams in one year, and I am not that good at science). Thanks.
awanderingpixel
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
From my experience (two older siblings - one of whom is currently studying psychology at uni), the GCSEs or iGCSEs you take don't matter too much in comparison to your A-Levels (which is what unis are interested in).

I would, however, recommend you take Psychology GCSE to give you a basis for the subject (although it is in no way necessary).

The Morrisby Careers website recommends that you take 5+ subjects for GCSE, including Maths, English and ideally one or more science in order to become a Clinical Psychologist, so although you have mentioned that you're "not that good at science" it might be useful to take Chemistry as well.

Otherwise, do whatever GCSEs / iGCSEs you like the best - you may well decide that Clinical Psychology isn't for you at some point and it would be a shame to end up doing subjects you don't particularly like in order to follow one career path.

Good luck!
Homeschooler757
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by awanderingpixel)
From my experience (two older siblings - one of whom is currently studying psychology at uni), the GCSEs or iGCSEs you take don't matter too much in comparison to your A-Levels (which is what unis are interested in).

I would, however, recommend you take Psychology GCSE to give you a basis for the subject (although it is in no way necessary).

The Morrisby Careers website recommends that you take 5+ subjects for GCSE, including Maths, English and ideally one or more science in order to become a Clinical Psychologist, so although you have mentioned that you're "not that good at science" it might be useful to take Chemistry as well.

Otherwise, do whatever GCSEs / iGCSEs you like the best - you may well decide that Clinical Psychology isn't for you at some point and it would be a shame to end up doing subjects you don't particularly like in order to follow one career path.

Good luck!
Thank you so very much for the advice. I think I'm going to take Chemistry and Psychology as IGCSE's. From what I have read of the chemistry course it seems interesting and I think I will enjoy it. Again thanks so much for the help.
dararam
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by awanderingpixel)

Good luck!
hi i wanted to ask, is that okay if i take combined science igcse for entering psychology major? or can i only take biology for it? thanks in advance
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dararam)
hi i wanted to ask, is that okay if i take combined science igcse for entering psychology major? or can i only take biology for it? thanks in advance
Please don't bump up old threads.
Last edited by PinkMobilePhone; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (14)
28.57%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (20)
40.82%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.08%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
8.16%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
12.24%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.04%

Watched Threads