The Student Room Group

What igcse's should I take if I want to do Clinical Psychology?

As previously stated I want to do Clinical Psych at uni and maybe grad school. So to get in to study this at a good university I have to finger out what igcse's that will help me in my ultimate goal. I am already talking Math, English, Biology and Religious Studies. My main other options are Sociology, Psychology, Chemistry or Business Studies. If anyone knows what subjects will help me maybe that are not listed or perhaps suggestions of what combinations of subjects that would work( bare in mind I am doing these exams in one year, and I am not that good at science). Thanks.
(edited 5 years ago)
From my experience (two older siblings - one of whom is currently studying psychology at uni), the GCSEs or iGCSEs you take don't matter too much in comparison to your A-Levels (which is what unis are interested in).

I would, however, recommend you take Psychology GCSE to give you a basis for the subject (although it is in no way necessary).

The Morrisby Careers website recommends that you take 5+ subjects for GCSE, including Maths, English and ideally one or more science in order to become a Clinical Psychologist, so although you have mentioned that you're "not that good at science" it might be useful to take Chemistry as well.

Otherwise, do whatever GCSEs / iGCSEs you like the best - you may well decide that Clinical Psychology isn't for you at some point and it would be a shame to end up doing subjects you don't particularly like in order to follow one career path.

Good luck!
Original post by awanderingpixel
From my experience (two older siblings - one of whom is currently studying psychology at uni), the GCSEs or iGCSEs you take don't matter too much in comparison to your A-Levels (which is what unis are interested in).

I would, however, recommend you take Psychology GCSE to give you a basis for the subject (although it is in no way necessary).

The Morrisby Careers website recommends that you take 5+ subjects for GCSE, including Maths, English and ideally one or more science in order to become a Clinical Psychologist, so although you have mentioned that you're "not that good at science" it might be useful to take Chemistry as well.

Otherwise, do whatever GCSEs / iGCSEs you like the best - you may well decide that Clinical Psychology isn't for you at some point and it would be a shame to end up doing subjects you don't particularly like in order to follow one career path.

Good luck!
Thank you so very much for the advice. I think I'm going to take Chemistry and Psychology as IGCSE's. From what I have read of the chemistry course it seems interesting and I think I will enjoy it. Again thanks so much for the help:smile:.
Reply 3
Original post by awanderingpixel

Good luck!

hi i wanted to ask, is that okay if i take combined science igcse for entering psychology major? or can i only take biology for it? thanks in advance
Original post by dararam
hi i wanted to ask, is that okay if i take combined science igcse for entering psychology major? or can i only take biology for it? thanks in advance

Please don't bump up old threads.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by dararam

Heyy, I'm the OP and am now actually studying psychology at uni :smile:! I would suggest taking any science subjects you enjoy! I ended up studying Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, English and Geography at Higher(Scottish AS level). Not all of those were necessary by any means, it depends on which uni you want and the course, but generally they start from scratch and teach you what you need. Things that did make a big difference were English (to prepare for essays ) and Psychology (as it gave me a chance to make sure I loved the subject before committing to it).

Also in terms of science pick what you like its defiantly good to have at least one in Psychology but don't subject yourself to a course you dislike or struggle with if you don't have to( personally I really enjoyed the science aspect in the end).

Finally you can look into uni's you may want to apply to now and ask them what subjects they suggest you take and what grades you would need to give you an idea of a realistic target:smile:.

Wish you all the best! Psychology is a great subject with lots of areas and industries you can go into so don't confine yourself and above all make sure you love what ever you want to study at uni after all you will have to study it :h:

Quick Reply

Latest