The Student Room Group

Job interview and anxiety?

Hey everyone, so I previously did a post about social anxiety and finding the right job for me and I now believe I have. There has been a lot of pressure on me to find a part time job now that I'm going in to my second year of A levels and I can completely understand that from my parents point of view but anxiety has just held me back completely and its meant that I've had to really miss out on a lot of fun stuff. However, the one thing that does help me overcome anxiety happens to be animals as I have always had a huge passion for them and seem to draw a lot of comfort from them, which isn't rare. I finally found a part-time job working in a pet store and I was initially very excited but anxiety is back to bite me in the ass. First of all, after applying online I was then contacted by the owner and absolutely freaked out when he called me I just couldn't bring myself to answer the phone and my hands started sweating etc. I decided that if I were on my own it would be easier to speak to him, so once I got home I went in the field with my horse and called him back and he's asked me to come in for an interview tomorrow. I really do want this job because I know deep down its the only thing I truly have a passion for and I know I will stick it out, but I'm so nervous I just don't know how to handle it and I was wondering if anyone had any advice as this is obviously a common issue. Another thing that has got me on edge is one of my friends previously worked at this place and they said they enjoyed it, however they also said the bosses were dicks and you really need to have thick skin to put up with them, which I don't. The only thing I can think of and calm myself down with is, for one, it only takes a few shifts until I will be desensitized and feel comfortable in the environment which will then mean I have a job doing what I love with no downsides and, two, I just really need a source of income. I just have such a huge fear that I will embarrass myself by being so nervous that I will make ridiculous mistakes and I don't know how to escape this mindset. :frown: Any help?
Reply 1
It's very normal to be nervous for a job interview because you never know what to expect.

If the job environment is no good since your friend says the supervisors are mean, then don't worry about it because this is not your career job.

My advice don't take this job too seriously because this is not your career and you have other goals in life.

If they don't keep you, there are so many other jobs out there for students.

I quit a few jobs because I got fed up and there were no career advancements.

Just use this interview as a life experience to prepare for other job interviews.

The more job interviews you do, the better you will be at it.
Thank you, I think this advice will actually help me as like you said, I shouldn’t be taking some experiences too seriously and I tend to do that hence my over thinking. I like the idea of this not being a final destination so hopefully I can just continue to see it like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending