Collapsed26
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
As it stands the course is not GOC accredited. Does this mean I could potentially do 1-3 years of the course only to be told it does not meet GOC requirements and so i'd have to do it all over again at another uni?
Crushed.Ice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
From what I've researched recently, as optometry is a degree I'm considering too, an unaccredited optometry degree will essentially be a waste as most won't even consider you without the accreditation.
Collapsed26
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Crushed.Ice)
From what I've researched recently, as optometry is a degree I'm considering too, an unaccredited optometry degree will essentially be a waste as most won't even consider you without the accreditation.
I actually checked on Bristols website and they have been granted provisional accreditation, which is the same as Portsmouth AND Hertfordshire surprisingly. So all 3 unis are essentially a bit of a gamble, GOC just hasnt added Bristol to their site yet, but on the Bristol uni site they say they have it, see:

https://www.optical.org/en/Education...udy_and_where/

I quite like how Bristol are only taking on 30 optom students this year, will be like one big family, and they've spent 3 million on a new optom suite. Where were you considering studying it?
Crushed.Ice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Collapsed26)
Where were you considering studying it?
I was considering Cardiff, mainly as its in my city and I don't want to have to go broke on living fees, but also because of the amazing facilities available.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Optometry degree is at *UWE*, not Uni of Bristol :https://courses.uwe.ac.uk/B510/optometry
Khamg92
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A provisional GOC accreditation is held by a few unis but are recognised by professional bodies and the GOC. A uni doesn't obtain full accreditation until it's first cohort completes the course. All in all its a safe option to apply to UWE, i'm currently studying Optometry here and I find this course a whole lot better than what was explained to me from other student studying Optometry elsewhere.

Best of luck!!!
bambim22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Guys!!

have any of you been offered a place with UWE for Optometry yet? if so, has anyone accepted their place yet?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads