The Student Room Group

Should I get a credit card now or wait?

I want to get a credit card as soon as possible however there are reasons for me to delay.

I am currently with barclays and I want to start up a student account with Santander. However, Santander says that you can only make a student account once your offer is unconditional meaning that I have to wait for after results day.

So my question is, is it worth applying for a credit card at Barclays and then two months down the line cancelling it or should I just wait to make my Santander account to get a credit card?

Also, bonus question: how long should I expect to wait to get a credit card after applying?

Scroll to see replies

any advice?
Reply 2
Im with Barclays too and theyve said that my account would automatically become a student account if i gave them my ucas id. If you need some advice, try visiting your local santander branch and speaking to someone about what to do. If its for a student account and you’ve got all the required documents, then it shouldnt take that long.
A credit card doesn't have to be with the same bank you have your student/current account. Find out your credit score (free from Experian/Equifax) and make sure the info is all up to date. There's a reasonable chance you won't be accepted especially if you've got no credit history or income from a job. Do you have a mobile phone contract in your name? This would help build your credit score. If you apply and get rejected I think it might affect other credit card applications for a while (I could be wrong on this). If you get one it usually takes a week or so to come through the post. Do you need a credit card at the moment?
Do you mean a debit card?
Original post by Anonymous
Do you mean a debit card?

No I already have one but I want to have a credit score so I want a credit card.

Original post by Duncan2012
A credit card doesn't have to be with the same bank you have your student/current account. Find out your credit score (free from Experian/Equifax) and make sure the info is all up to date. There's a reasonable chance you won't be accepted especially if you've got no credit history or income from a job. Do you have a mobile phone contract in your name? This would help build your credit score. If you apply and get rejected I think it might affect other credit card applications for a while (I could be wrong on this). If you get one it usually takes a week or so to come through the post. Do you need a credit card at the moment?

I have pay as you go on my phone but in the past I had a contract. I thought that banks are willing to give students credit cards. Also the plan is to drop barclays completely and move onto santander as I can get some interest from it.
Original post by Samiik
Im with Barclays too and theyve said that my account would automatically become a student account if i gave them my ucas id. If you need some advice, try visiting your local santander branch and speaking to someone about what to do. If its for a student account and you’ve got all the required documents, then it shouldnt take that long.

I don't want to stay with barclays. Also I did and all they said was I have to wait until I have a confirmed university place.

Just want to know if it's worth getting a credit card now.
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
I have pay as you go on my phone but in the past I had a contract. I thought that banks are willing to give students credit cards. Also the plan is to drop barclays completely and move onto santander as I can get some interest from it.

Banks will want to see that you are financially responsible enough before they give you credit. Students generally aren't. Do you have a job?

As before, a credit card can be from a completely different bank to your current/student account.
Banks will want to see that you are financially responsible enough before they give you credit. Students generally aren't. Do you have a job?

As before, a credit card can be from a completely different bank to your current/student account.

I don't currently have a job. If having finance is the issue why can parents not count for that?

And I know it can be separate but the idea was to move all the money into the student account as I'll have interest on any amount of money between £300 and £2000 at Santander but at Barclays I'll have 0 interest.
You can get a credit card with anyone. I recommend having a look at a comparison site and looking at rewards/zero interest cards. But make sure you pay off your balance in full at the end of each month, as this will do wonders for your credit score if that's the aim.

I have a Tesco Bank credit card and I get Tesco points and offers when I spend on it. I don't think the points are as good as they were when I got it, so there may be better options for you out there, but if you know that you'll definitely be doing your shopping at a Tesco then it might be a good shout.
Waiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
I don't currently have a job. If having finance is the issue why can parents not count for that?

And I know it can be separate but the idea was to move all the money into the student account as I'll have interest on any amount of money between £300 and £2000 at Santander but at Barclays I'll have 0 interest.

Because they're not guarantors against any potential debt you might run up and be unable to pay. It's in your name, therefore banks need to know that you can pay it off. And without a job or some other source of income how do you show them that you can?

Fair enough, but all that's irrelevant to credit cards.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
You can get a credit card with anyone. I recommend having a look at a comparison site and looking at rewards/zero interest cards. But make sure you pay off your balance in full at the end of each month, as this will do wonders for your credit score if that's the aim.

I have a Tesco Bank credit card and I get Tesco points and offers when I spend on it. I don't think the points are as good as they were when I got it, so there may be better options for you out there, but if you know that you'll definitely be doing your shopping at a Tesco then it might be a good shout.

I'm more of asking if I should get it with Barclays now or wait a couple of months to get it with santander.
Because they're not guarantors against any potential debt you might run up and be unable to pay. It's in your name, therefore banks need to know that you can pay it off. And without a job or some other source of income how do you show them that you can?

Fair enough, but all that's irrelevant to credit cards.

My dad inputs money into my account regularly if that counts for anything. Also in my savings I get money from a property.

I think that that would count but I didn't realise you meant that before.
My dad inputs money into my account regularly if that counts for anything. Also in my savings I get money from a property.

I think that that would count but I didn't realise you meant that before.

It might be worth going in and speaking to someone in a branch and seeing what they think - depending on the numbers you might be ok. If they say no at least it won't have an impact upon your credit score.
It might be worth going in and speaking to someone in a branch and seeing what they think - depending on the numbers you might be ok. If they say no at least it won't have an impact upon your credit score.

Alright but say I can get it. I definitely want to leave barclays after results day (August). Would you say that I ask barclays first, have the card for less than two months and then drop it or ask Santander and wait the two months to apply? Both involve Santander but mainly if I should wait until I'm eligible for a student account.
Alright but say I can get it. I definitely want to leave barclays after results day (August). Would you say that I ask barclays first, have the card for less than two months and then drop it or ask Santander and wait the two months to apply? Both involve Santander but mainly if I should wait until I'm eligible for a student account.

You're still not getting the point that I've been making throughout. Who you have a credit card with has nothing to do with who you have your current account with.

1. You want a credit card with Barclays/Santander/anyone else? Get it.
2. Want to switch current account from Barclays to Santander? Do it.
Item 1 is totally unconnected with item 2. There would be no need to drop a Barclays card, or wait to apply for a Santander card.

If I'm being honest, with no job I don't think you'll get one. And if you don't understand how they're not linked to current accounts then I suggest you research that first.
You're still not getting the point that I've been making throughout. Who you have a credit card with has nothing to do with who you have your current account with.

1. You want a credit card with Barclays/Santander/anyone else? Get it.
2. Want to switch current account from Barclays to Santander? Do it.
Item 1 is totally unconnected with item 2. There would be no need to drop a Barclays card, or wait to apply for a Santander card.

If I'm being honest, with no job I don't think you'll get one. And if you don't understand how they're not linked to current accounts then I suggest you research that first.

Alright yeah I ended up doing more research and found out that I can't get barclays or santander. Might be able to get HSBC because they have a student one but I guess I have to decide if it's worth giving up the railcard now.

THanks for your help though. I probably would've not thought about it properly had you not been responding.
Alright yeah I ended up doing more research and found out that I can't get barclays or santander. Might be able to get HSBC because they have a student one but I guess I have to decide if it's worth giving up the railcard now.

THanks for your help though. I probably would've not thought about it properly had you not been responding.

No worries, good to hear you've got a result (even if if it's not the one you maybe wanted to hear).

I'd probably value the railcard more than a student credit card but that's just me. I didn't realise HSBC do credit cards for students - thanks for educating me :-)
No worries, good to hear you've got a result (even if if it's not the one you maybe wanted to hear).

I'd probably value the railcard more than a student credit card but that's just me. I didn't realise HSBC do credit cards for students - thanks for educating me :-)

Yeah I think I'm probably going to go for the railcard. The interest is also slightly better for santander.

The reason I wanted a credit card was because my dad kept saying I should try to start a credit score and that he got it when he was 18 but I guess things were slightly easier for him

Quick Reply

Latest