The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Maintenance grants/loans for Welsh students

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help, I had a conversation with student loan and the initial conversation I was told that as 2018/2019 you can apply for maintenance loans even when studying with OU, then three days later I have been told that isn’t true? Very irritating 😂 does any one know any more about this potential change?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I'm pretty sure that for distance learning, the loan was delayed until 19/20.
(edited 5 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
I emailed OU asking the same question yesterday. Their response was although maintenance loans are available to part time students it is only to those who attend brick universities, not the OU. I have also read elsewhere that it is only open to new students, not those already part way through their course. I'm not sure how accurate that information is though.

However, it looks like OU students may be offered the loan in 2019/20 but like I stated above, I'm not sure if that will be available to just new students or those already studying for their degree's. If it is just open to new students I'm sure some will want to delay enrolling on to their courses until next year and I would be one of them. Not great as the whole idea of offering the loans to part time students was to stem the drop in take-up of part time courses.

The SFE site doesn't even mention the fact that OU students aren't eligible so don't expect much help from them.
Reply 3
Original post by steve2802
I emailed OU asking the same question yesterday. Their response was although maintenance loans are available to part time students it is only to those who attend brick universities, not the OU. I have also read elsewhere that it is only open to new students, not those already part way through their course. I'm not sure how accurate that information is though.

However, it looks like OU students may be offered the loan in 2019/20 but like I stated above, I'm not sure if that will be available to just new students or those already studying for their degree's. If it is just open to new students I'm sure some will want to delay enrolling on to their courses until next year and I would be one of them. Not great as the whole idea of offering the loans to part time students was to stem the drop in take-up of part time courses.

The SFE site doesn't even mention the fact that OU students aren't eligible so don't expect much help from them.

It’s really hard to get a straight answer isn’t it? As I would be able to stop work and study at a faster pace if I could qualify for loan. The lady at Student Loan during the first phonecall definitely said the maintenance loans were coming into place in 2018/ 19 then two days later told something different. So confusing thanks for reply
Original post by n1noh
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help, I had a conversation with student loan and the initial conversation I was told that as 2018/2019 you can apply for maintenance loans even when studying with OU, then three days later I have been told that isn’t true? Very irritating 😂 does any one know any more about this potential change?
Thanks

Both SFE and the OU keep getting this wrong. Right, so yes new OU students starting from this year can get a maintenance loan but only if they meet strict disability/illness requirements, you need to be able to prove that you can't attend a brick university because of your health. If anyone says that's not true, tell them they're mistaken and refer them to: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/parttime-students

"You can only apply for a Maintenance Loan as a Distance Learning student if you cannot attend your course in person because of a disability."
My friend actually got part way through her SFE form only to be told THEN that you're not eligible as OU is deemed distant learning. The part time maintenance loans that were introduced this year are only for those starting in the academic year 2018-19, so I'm assuming that if part-time maintenance loans for distance learning do become available next year then it'll only be available to those commencing their degree in the year 19/20.

Very annoying. OU also told my friend that she'd be eligible.
Original post by Snufkin
Both SFE and the OU keep getting this wrong. Right, so yes new OU students starting from this year can get a maintenance loan but only if they meet strict disability/illness requirements, you need to be able to prove that you can't attend a brick university because of your health. If anyone says that's not true, tell them they're mistaken and refer them to: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/parttime-students

"You can only apply for a Maintenance Loan as a Distance Learning student if you cannot attend your course in person because of a disability."

Sorry, I should have said that those with a disability that makes them unable to attend a brick university could be eligible for the loans.
Original post by PlannerHannah
My friend actually got part way through her SFE form only to be told THEN that you're not eligible as OU is deemed distant learning. The part time maintenance loans that were introduced this year are only for those starting in the academic year 2018-19, so I'm assuming that if part-time maintenance loans for distance learning do become available next year then it'll only be available to those commencing their degree in the year 19/20.

Very annoying. OU also told my friend that she'd be eligible.

I'm looking to cut down my working hours and spend the time with my studies but without the maintenance loan this won't be possible which is why I'm seriously thinking about waiting to start until next year.

I've applied and been accepted to the OU and I've applied for a tuition loan in the last few days and I'm hoping that if I cancel the loan application that I'll still be eligible to apply next year.
I'm looking to cut down my working hours and spend the time with my studies but without the maintenance loan this won't be possible which is why I'm seriously thinking about waiting to start until next year.

I've applied and been accepted to the OU and I've applied for a tuition loan in the last few days and I'm hoping that if I cancel the loan application that I'll still be eligible to apply next year.

That's EXACTLY what my friend was planning to do! The maintenance loan would make up for the drop in hours that she would need in order to study alongside work. I know for a fact that my friend filled out a 'change of circumstances' form in order to cancel her application. I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be eligible to apply next year! :smile: sorry that your plans seem to not be available when you anticipated.
Original post by PlannerHannah
That's EXACTLY what my friend was planning to do! The maintenance loan would make up for the drop in hours that she would need in order to study alongside work. I know for a fact that my friend filled out a 'change of circumstances' form in order to cancel her application. I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be eligible to apply next year! :smile: sorry that your plans seem to not be available when you anticipated.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to mull it over and make a decision when I get in from work later today. I think though that it would be best if I defer.
Reply 10
I emailed OU asking the same question yesterday. Their response was although maintenance loans are available to part time students it is only to those who attend brick universities, not the OU. I have also read elsewhere that it is only open to new students, not those already part way through their course. I'm not sure how accurate that information is though.However, it looks like OU students may be offered the loan in 2019/20 but like I stated above, I'm not sure if that will be available to just new students or those already studying for their degree's. If it is just open to new students I'm sure some will want to delay enrolling on to their courses until next year and I would be one of them. Not great as the whole idea of offering the loans to part time students was to stem the drop in take-up of part time courses.The SFE site doesn't even mention the fact that OU students aren't eligible so don't expect much help from them.
I have just got off the phone with sfw and I was told I am eligible for a maintenance loan. I only rang up to confirm I wasn’t eligible while I was filling in the forms. It says online everywhere I have looked that it is only available to students who have disabilities, but she has just told me I am eligible 🤔🤔
Reply 11

I have just come off the phone with sfw and they have told me that I am eligible for a maintenance loan. I am classed as a new student and am doing a course through the OU. Everywhere I have looked online, for information regarding the maintenance loan, has said that a maintenance loan is only available to students with a disability which prevents them going to a brick uni, or for students starting 2019/2020. I only rang up to get confirmation that I wasn’t eligible and was told that I am 🤔🤔🤔🤔
Original post by nicsy86
I have just come off the phone with sfw and they have told me that I am eligible for a maintenance loan. I am classed as a new student and am doing a course through the OU. Everywhere I have looked online, for information regarding the maintenance loan, has said that a maintenance loan is only available to students with a disability which prevents them going to a brick uni, or for students starting 2019/2020. I only rang up to get confirmation that I wasn’t eligible and was told that I am 🤔🤔🤔🤔

That's odd. I emailed the OU asking for clarification. This was their response...

"Thank you for your email enquiring about maintenance loans for study with the OU.

Maintenance loans for part-time undergraduate study in England will be available in 2018/19 for students studying degree level study at face-to-face institutions only. This means that OU students will not be eligible to apply for part-time maintenance loans in 2018/19.

Please note that even though you are studying at full time intensity (120 credits) all distance learning is classed as part time study.

Unfortunately, it is not clear in the Student Finance application form that distance learners are ineligible for maintenance loans. This will likely cause confusion for OU students and there is the possibility of maintenance loan applications being submitted to SFE, and potentially approved, in error

If you need any further assistance then please contact Student Recruitment. The following link gives our full contact details: http://www.open.ac.uk/contact/."

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
That's odd. I emailed the OU asking for clarification. This was their response...

"Thank you for your email enquiring about maintenance loans for study with the OU.

Maintenance loans for part-time undergraduate study in England will be available in 2018/19 for students studying degree level study at face-to-face institutions only. This means that OU students will not be eligible to apply for part-time maintenance loans in 2018/19.

Please note that even though you are studying at full time intensity (120 credits) all distance learning is classed as part time study.

Unfortunately, it is not clear in the Student Finance application form that distance learners are ineligible for maintenance loans. This will likely cause confusion for OU students and there is the possibility of maintenance loan applications being submitted to SFE, and potentially approved, in error

If you need any further assistance then please contact Student Recruitment. The following link gives our full contact details: http://www.open.ac.uk/contact/."

It's worrying that the people that should have the correct information are conflicting with each other.

I’m not sure if it makes a difference that I’m applying to sfw rather than sfe but that’s why I rang them as I wanted proof that I wasn’t eligible to send off to Universal Credit and now they have said that I am eligible it’s juat confused me even more 😕😕
Original post by nicsy86
I have just got off the phone with sfw and I was told I am eligible for a maintenance loan. I only rang up to confirm I wasn’t eligible while I was filling in the forms. It says online everywhere I have looked that it is only available to students who have disabilities, but she has just told me I am eligible 🤔🤔

If you need any further assistance then please contact Student Recruitment. The following link gives our full contact details:
."

I have already told you who is eligible for a maintenance loan. If you are a new OU student starting this year, and you do not have an illness/disability that prevents you from attending a physical university, you are not eligible - in which case, I'd suggest deferring your studies until next year when you will be eligible.
Original post by Snufkin
I have already told you who is eligible for a maintenance loan. If you are a new OU student starting this year, and you do not have an illness/disability that prevents you from attending a physical university, you are not eligible - in which case, I'd suggest deferring your studies until next year when you will be eligible.

Yes, except it looks it looks like you were wrong or at least your information isn't entirely accurate.

https://www.open.ac.uk/wales/en/news/new-funding-system-offers-major-opportunity-part-time-learners

To quote...

"

Louise Casella, Director of The Open University in Wales, explains how financial support for new students starting from September 2018 could make a major difference to the numbers of people studying part-time in Wales.

It is a busy and exciting time at The Open University in Wales as we are now open for students to register on our courses starting in October. This cohort of students will be the first to benefit from the Welsh Government’s new student support package; the only system in the UK to offer parity of support for full and part time students alike. New part-time students starting their studies from September 2018, will be eligible for a non-means tested grant of up to £750 towards their living costs plus a further means-tested grant of up to £3,750 dependent on household income and study intensity. Students who do not receive the full grant amount, can apply for maintenance loans ensuring there is no financial barrier to study."
Yes, except it looks it looks like you were wrong or at least your information isn't entirely accurate.

https://www.open.ac.uk/wales/en/news/new-funding-system-offers-major-opportunity-part-time-learners

To quote...

"

Louise Casella, Director of The Open University in Wales, explains how financial support for new students starting from September 2018 could make a major difference to the numbers of people studying part-time in Wales.

It is a busy and exciting time at The Open University in Wales as we are now open for students to register on our courses starting in October. This cohort of students will be the first to benefit from the Welsh Government’s new student support package; the only system in the UK to offer parity of support for full and part time students alike. New part-time students starting their studies from September 2018, will be eligible for a non-means tested grant of up to £750 towards their living costs plus a further means-tested grant of up to £3,750 dependent on household income and study intensity. Students who do not receive the full grant amount, can apply for maintenance loans ensuring there is no financial barrier to study."

You didn't say you were in Wales - but it's not clear to me that the Welsh system is any different to England. I am correct, I know this because I spent the best part of two days on the phone to SFE trying to find out.
Original post by Snufkin
You didn't say you were in Wales - but it's not clear to me that the Welsh system is any different to England. I am correct, I know this because I spent the best part of two days on the phone to SFE trying to find out.

So it was just to me you were replying to not the last poster?

I didn't say I wasn't in Wales.

I quoted the response from the OU which confirmed you were correct, but only about those studying in England. I then put up a link and quoted from the Welsh OU which affirmed the previous posters query which stated that Welsh students are eligible.

I take it you didn't bother to read the quote or look at the OU link I put up because I don't see the confusion.

As I stated before, you are only partially correct. It is true that you cannot get a maintenance loan whilst studying with the OU unless you have a disability that precludes you from attending a brick university but if you live in Wales you are entitled to the loan.

The fact you spent two days on the phone to SFE means nothing to those who live in Wales and have to apply to SFW.

Perhaps next time you give information that you categorically state to be correct you could be mindful of the fact that it is only relevant in England otherwise you are just adding to the confusion.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Snufkin

I know that I’m not eligible I just found this thread and gave my input as I spoke to student finance an hour before I seen this post and I have no disabilities and sfw know this but yet they still told me I AM eligible. I don’t want the loan I only want proof that says I am not eligible (this has been requested from UC) and I thought I could get proof off them by ringing an asking for an email to be sent to me confirming who is/isn’t eligible but they told me I am. I hardly think UC will accept me taking screenshots of conversations between people and I don’t think they would accept me taking screenshots off numerous websites confirming this information as they all have sticks up their behinds (that topic will be for a different thread though I won’t get started on them here 🙄🤣)
So it was just to me you were replying to not the last poster?

I didn't say I wasn't in Wales.

I take it you didn't bother to read the quote or look at the OU link I put up?

As I stated before, you are only partially correct. It is true that you cannot get a maintenance loan whilst studying with the OU unless you have a disability that precludes you from attending a brick university but if you live in Wales you are entitled to the loan.

The fact you spent two days on the phone to SFE means nothing to those who live in Wales and have to apply to SFW.

Perhaps next time you give information that you categorically state to be correct you could be mindful of the fact that it is only relevant in England otherwise you are just adding to the confusion.

Unless a poster specifically says they are from Wales, there's no reason to assume they are - or ask. If you or the OP chooses to omit information when asking a question online, that's on you. And as I say, it's not clear to me that the Welsh system is different anyway (and you have not shown it to be so).