Mechanical engineering at Edinburgh Napier or Strathclyde Watch

lcamsmith
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've been given offers to bother Edinburgh Napier and Strathclyde.
For Napier I've been given year 3 entry so my course is only 3 years.
Strathclyde have given me year 1 entry so my course is 5 years.
Napier is a lot farther away from me so will cost a lot more in travel and Strathclyde is a better university.

I don't know which course in itself is better. So what advice would you give to help me choose?
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lcamsmith)
I've been given offers to bother Edinburgh Napier and Strathclyde.
For Napier I've been given year 3 entry so my course is only 3 years.
Strathclyde have given me year 1 entry so my course is 5 years.
Napier is a lot farther away from me so will cost a lot more in travel and Strathclyde is a better university.

I don't know which course in itself is better. So what advice would you give to help me choose?
Hi there. Firstly congratulations on your offers It can be tricky choosing between two universities and it is such an important decision so I will try my best to help in any way that I can.

I can't speak for another university or tell you which course is better (as this will obviously come down to your own personal choice) but I can give you some info on our Mechanical Engineering department and some of our key selling points.

Here at Strathclyde we have Scotland's largest Engineering faculty, and one of the key things about all our Engineering programmes is how closely we work with industry. All our Engineering courses are fully accredited (which is important if you want to become a chartered Engineer down the line!) and we have a large scholarship portfolio. Almost all our Mechanical Engineering students will undertake an internship during their time at University, and some do multiple internships. So there are plenty of opportunities to get hands on work experience. Our graduates are also targeted by more than 60 big companies each year, so there are great career prospects with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. We are consistently ranked in the top 10 in the UK for Mech Eng and our students are mostly very satisfied with the teaching they receive Do you have any other questions about the course that I could try and answer for you?

It is also important to take into consideration the location of the university (as you mentioned). Glasgow is a fantastic student city (which you may already know if you live nearby!) If you do have any questions about the city itself or generally studying here (clubs, societies, facilities etc) then please fire away as I would be happy to help!

I hope some of this information has been helpful and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Best wishes,

Sarah
lcamsmith
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hi there. Firstly congratulations on your offers It can be tricky choosing between two universities and it is such an important decision so I will try my best to help in any way that I can.

I can't speak for another university or tell you which course is better (as this will obviously come down to your own personal choice) but I can give you some info on our Mechanical Engineering department and some of our key selling points.

Here at Strathclyde we have Scotland's largest Engineering faculty, and one of the key things about all our Engineering programmes is how closely we work with industry. All our Engineering courses are fully accredited (which is important if you want to become a chartered Engineer down the line!) and we have a large scholarship portfolio. Almost all our Mechanical Engineering students will undertake an internship during their time at University, and some do multiple internships. So there are plenty of opportunities to get hands on work experience. Our graduates are also targeted by more than 60 big companies each year, so there are great career prospects with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. We are consistently ranked in the top 10 in the UK for Mech Eng and our students are mostly very satisfied with the teaching they receive Do you have any other questions about the course that I could try and answer for you?

It is also important to take into consideration the location of the university (as you mentioned). Glasgow is a fantastic student city (which you may already know if you live nearby!) If you do have any questions about the city itself or generally studying here (clubs, societies, facilities etc) then please fire away as I would be happy to help!

I hope some of this information has been helpful and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Best wishes,

Sarah
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the information. Just a quick question. If I'm on the Beng course would I eventually be able to transition to the Meng course? Or would I have to reapply for an MSc?

Thanks
Laura 😊
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the information. Just a quick question. If I'm on the Beng course would I eventually be able to transition to the Meng course? Or would I have to reapply for an MSc?

Thanks
Laura 😊
Hi lcamsmith - Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Yes indeed our BEng students can transfer to the MEng programme, and plenty of our students decide to do this eventually! Any other questions just feel free to fire away.

Sarah -Strathclyde Uni rep
ProfessionalMunchkin
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm at Napier - not on your course.
Personally, I'd say that if you've got the shot at Strathclyde you should take it. As much as I love Edinburgh (and genuinely think it's a better city - sorry) I do think that Strathclyde would be the better university for you.
In addition, you'll get 5 years of student discount rather than only 3. Plus, by having year 1 entry you'll get to make friends with people more easily. Year 3 entry means trying to make friends with people who already have friends - if that makes sense.

Hope that is of some use!
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi @lcamsmith,

I'm taking over the Strathclyde account this week whilst Sarah is away, and very conveniently i graduated with my MEng in Mechanical Engineering from Strathclyde around 3 weeks ago!

If you have any particular questions i'd be more than happy to answer course-specific enquiries. Feel free to DM me or message in this thread .

Thanks ProfessionalMunchkin for all your kind words!

Calvin - Temporary Strathclyde Rep
roadtripboy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Napier is a lot farther away from me so will cost a lot more in travel
There is this thing called 'student accommodation' that allows you to live near your university without travelling, and is a lot more fun than sitting on a train or bus every day to go back to your mummy and daddy.
lcamsmith
Rep:
?
(Original post by roadtripboy)
There is this thing called 'student accommodation' that allows you to live near your university without travelling, and is a lot more fun than sitting on a train or bus every day to go back to your mummy and daddy.
Thanks for the info but my "mummy and daddy" don't live with me. I have my own flat. And I'm an apprentice, I work full time for an engineering company so I moved to be close to them. So thanks for the not helpful advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (279)
47.94%
No (67)
11.51%
I'm not old enough (236)
40.55%

Watched Threads