Thinking about uni - can I afford it?!

Watch this thread
Emileenapud
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I went to uni at 18 without thinking about it too much, did a year and dropped out because I hated it.

I'm 26 now and I want to study films. Purely because I'm passionate about it, not necessarily for work (I would love to write for empire magazine one day but trying to be realistic..) and I might not get the opportunity later on.

I'm just concerned as I currently work full time and earn a decent living, my partner and I are looking to move out this year (we both still live at home) which is a big thing we both don't want to put off.

I guess what I'm asking is, did anyone else give up working to go study full time? Did you work besides, did you get any extra funding (bursaries and scholarships etc) how did your partner feel about supporting you both? How did you afford life?

Any help at all would be amazing. Thanks everyone!
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Emileenapud)
I went to uni at 18 without thinking about it too much, did a year and dropped out because I hated it.

I'm 26 now and I want to study films. Purely because I'm passionate about it, not necessarily for work (I would love to write for empire magazine one day but trying to be realistic..) and I might not get the opportunity later on.

I'm just concerned as I currently work full time and earn a decent living, my partner and I are looking to move out this year (we both still live at home) which is a big thing we both don't want to put off.

I guess what I'm asking is, did anyone else give up working to go study full time? Did you work besides, did you get any extra funding (bursaries and scholarships etc) how did your partner feel about supporting you both? How did you afford life?

Talk to partner and work out what the finances would be.

Why not carry on working and just save money like mad?

I wouldnt bank on bursary or scholarships as they tend to be small.
They are more plentiful post grad from the NFT.

Cant you freelance and take advice from journos and critics to get an idea of how well suited you are? Just ease yourself in and your savings plus the budget will give you options. Dont worry if its in a few years.
adam156
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I think the key thing here is working out your finances between you and your partner. You can often get grants and tuition fees paid so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Also worth thinking about the long term effects - if the course if three years then that's a long time to be studying: is your partner's job secure? Will you be looking to change your living situation again?

And also - what are your job prospects like with a Uni degree? Will you have the potential to earn more?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Emileenapud)

I worked full time for two years before going to uni (so I was only 20, which is a bit different). During those two years I still lived at home and didn't have loads of outgoings, so I was able to save a fair bit of money.

At the time, I lived off my student loan and savings. I did get a bursary, but it was tiny- about £200 a term, so a nice little bonus but not really much help. My partner at the time was also a student, so we were both quite happy to live in a small flat and live off a pretty small income.

I'd imagine you'd be able to work part time alongside a film degree and you'd have the long uni holidays to pick up extra shifts.

I'm now 27, and if I'm honest, I wouldn't be willing to fund a partner to study something for the fun of it, rather than because it would improve our lives long term. I'd be happy for them to do it if they'd saved hard etc and were still working part time, but I wouldn't be willing to financially support them. I do think you need to have a serious conversation with your partner about this.

Could you look into studying part time and working part time, maybe?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (53)
64.63%
No (23)
28.05%
I didn't use it to prepare (6)
7.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed