what are people’s views on Jeremy Corbyn? Is the Labour Party dying? Watch

alicewxnderland
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
So I would considered myself a Labour supporter as there is no way I’d vote Conservative. However I feel as if the Labour have become weak since Corbyn was voted in. Do you agree that he has often made decisions based on his own views alone instead of the party’s values as a whole e.g. brexit? I feel as though other labour members don’t have the guts to say what they really think anymore in fear of it not aligning with Corbyn’s views. Obviously he has a huge following of young people which I feel is great as more young people are getting interested in politics however I am also young as I’m only 18 but I feel that he has become a bit of a trend or an “icon” which has overridden the real reason why people should be supporting a leader and social media has played a big part in this. I don’t feel he could run the country even if he was voted in and I think him being prime minister could hurt the Labour Party even more. Anyway these are just my thoughts and just wanted to start a conversation as I’m just interested in what others think and open to have my mind changed
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You do know labour will win the next election? All leave voters will abandon conservatives.
Brocolli123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Nope he's a step in the right direction. You probably only feel he's weak because of what the media says. It's done nothing but slam you with anti-corbyn media because he's a politician who fights for the views of the people that help the average person and not just the rich. There's such backlash against him because of the right wing Blair supporters in the labour party. The labour needs to move further left and this is supported by Corbyn being incredibly popular with young people signing up to the party to vote for him, the most ever. He is one of the few politicians who is a genuine nice guy and you can tell he wants to help the everyman. The media is just constantly slandering him off to keep the right wing tories in power and then the party is split in two with the right wing stamping their feet and the ones doing what the people want
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Why ? membership is at historic highs, captured a historically high percentage of the popular vote and improved on results of miliband election.

Corbyn has injected youth and dynamism into a party that was dominated by middle aged trade unionists.

Some young people disagree with him on the EU, but that is fine, reasonable people can have differences on the best way to build a fair economy. There are real problems with the EU, some think those are a price worth paying, others don't.

You have to give props to Corbyn, to have done so well after being attacked so heavily by the media(accused of being a czech spy with no evidence) and blairite back benchers.

personally I disagree with some of his economic policies. I think having the same minimum wage for all people regardless of age will make it harder for people with no experience to get jobs and I think forcing homeowners to let their houses and unable to ever cancel tenancies seems abit stalinist
alicewxnderland
Rep:
?
(Original post by Brocolli123)
Nope he's a step in the right direction. You probably only feel he's weak because of what the media says. It's done nothing but slam you with anti-corbyn media because he's a politician who fights for the views of the people that help the average person and not just the rich. There's such backlash against him because of the right wing Blair supporters in the labour party. The labour needs to move further left and this is supported by Corbyn being incredibly popular with young people signing up to the party to vote for him, the most ever. He is one of the few politicians who is a genuine nice guy and you can tell he wants to help the everyman. The media is just constantly slandering him off to keep the right wing tories in power and then the party is split in two with the right wing stamping their feet and the ones doing what the people want
But he does want brexit. Which is not fighting for the views of the people in his party because labour has always been pro European and now he’s just saying “it’s the will of the people” and sitting back and letting brexit happen. That in my opinion is not representing the views of most of his supporters. I agree with you on the media painting him in a bad light however I do believe he has acted poorly in dealing with issues such as anti semitism in the party.
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by alicewxnderland)
But he does want brexit. Which is not fighting for the views of the people in his party because labour has always been pro European and now he’s just saying “it’s the will of the people” and sitting back and letting brexit happen. That in my opinion is not representing the views of most of his supporters. I agree with you on the media painting him in a bad light however I do believe he has acted poorly in dealing with issues such as anti semitism in the party.
the anti semitism thing is a fabricated issue, Corbyn has been to afraid to call it out for what it is.

Making a casual comment that a council was wrong to remove a painting showing bankers, doesn't make you anti semitic.
Livingstone saying Hitler signed the Haavara agreement with zionists doesn't make you anti semitic.

Israeli diplomat caught on camera plotting to 'take down' UK MPs https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ke-down-uk-mps

Israeli Embassy official vows to ‘take down’ Tory minister https://metro.co.uk/2017/01/08/israe...ister-6367923/

The protests outside parliament were all organised by tories. It was a partisan protest using dirty tricks. If you actually spoke to the protestors their issues were foreign policy related. Being jewish doesn't make one an authority on defining who is and isnt anti semitic, especially if you have previous heavily criticized corbyn on other issues so you basically dont like him anyway . Labour MPs whose primary goal and life purpose is stopping brexit are happy to call corbyn anti semitic to get rid of him.

it has nothing to do with religion. Corbyn even attended a lunch with a jewish labour group the next day and there were no issues
alicewxnderland
Rep:
?
(Original post by hannah00)
the anti semitism thing is a fabricated issue, Corbyn has been to afraid to call it out for what it is.

Making a casual comment that a council was wrong to remove a painting showing bankers, doesn't make you anti semitic.
Livingstone saying Hitler signed the Haavara agreement with zionists doesn't make you anti semitic.

Israeli diplomat caught on camera plotting to 'take down' UK MPs https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ke-down-uk-mps

Israeli Embassy official vows to ‘take down’ Tory minister https://metro.co.uk/2017/01/08/israe...ister-6367923/

The protests outside parliament were all organised by tories. It was a partisan protest using dirty tricks. If you actually spoke to the protestors their issues were foreign policy related. Being jewish doesn't make one an authority on defining who is and isnt anti semitic, especially if you have previous heavily criticized corbyn on other issues so you basically dont like him anyway . Labour MPs whose primary goal and life purpose is stopping brexit are happy to call corbyn anti semitic to get rid of him.

it has nothing to do with religion. Corbyn even attended a lunch with a jewish labour group the next day and there were no issues
I didn’t say Corbyn was anti semitic, I said he hasn’t dealt well with anti semitism which you can deny the fact there has been anti semitism within the party.
PilgrimOfTruth
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by random_matt)
You do know labour will win the next election? All leave voters will abandon conservatives.
Funniest thing I've heard in ages

At the last election Old Compo Corbyn had 3 massive crutches to leane on. He had:

1) Remainers on his side voting tactically to scupper BrExit
2) The young voters on his side because he'd shamelessly duped them with false promises of free tuition fees and wiping student debts
3) the conservatives putting up the worse campaign for years

Despite those 3 massive advantages Corbyn still lost the election for Labour by 262 seats to 318. A collossal failure and defeat given his massive advantages.

Really by now the "Labour" party MPs should have ousted old Jezbollah because they will NEVER get into power with him at the helm, he is simply unelectable, simple as. If you had another election tomorrow Corbyn and his Looney Labour would be annhiliated. Why? Because:

1) Remainers now realise that Corbyn isn't going to help them at all. There's no chance of a 2nd referendum and it is well known now that Corbyn has opposed the EU all his political career. Remainers are NOT going to vote for him.
2) The young voters, seeing now how they were totally hoodwinked and lied to are understandably (and rightly) very angry and won't support him anything like before.
3) The Tories won't have a bad campaign again, they will up their game significantly.

In short the 3 props/crutches that Corbyn had in the last election no longer exist.He is perceived as a terrorist supporting marxist with his past IRA links and Hamas/Hezbollah "friends" and he's shown himself to be a man that will say literally anything, however ridiculous and unachievable in order to garner votes. Nothing he says can be trusted.

He is totally unelectable and 100% HAS to go.

The real Labour Party is now dead and has been for some time. It has been usurped from within by the Marxist militant Momentum lefties who have set about getting rid of real Labour MPs who oppose their policies and methods. Corbyn's rabble are a totally separate party. It should be called the "Militant Marxist Party" but as that wouldn't get many votes they have literally stolen the banner of the "Labour Party" and are simply pretending to be that party. The nation thankfully knows the truth and that's why Labour spectacularly lost the last election and why they will keep losing elections until they wise up and get rid of Corbyn and Momentum.

Real Labour is dead. Corbyn is unelectable. There no longer exists a viable opposition to the Tories which is a poor state for UK politics. What needs to happen now is all the real Labour MPs to get together and form a totally new party and work from there. They have dillied and dallied around with Corbyn messing up the works for too long and given themselves a huge problem as a result. Mostly because they feared for their jobs.

They now need to stand firm, stand up for what is right and either wrest control of the party back from the Marxists or set up a new party altogether. Either way, Tories are in power for years to come.

May will of course be replaced, no question and no problem with that. But the Tory party will continue and the majority of the populous will keep voting for it because there is no viable alternative.
Jungleseu1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by alicewxnderland)
So I would considered myself a Labour supporter as there is no way I’d vote Conservative. However I feel as if the Labour have become weak since Corbyn was voted in. Do you agree that he has often made decisions based on his own views alone instead of the party’s values as a whole e.g. brexit? I feel as though other labour members don’t have the guts to say what they really think anymore in fear of it not aligning with Corbyn’s views. Obviously he has a huge following of young people which I feel is great as more young people are getting interested in politics however I am also young as I’m only 18 but I feel that he has become a bit of a trend or an “icon” which has overridden the real reason why people should be supporting a leader and social media has played a big part in this. I don’t feel he could run the country even if he was voted in and I think him being prime minister could hurt the Labour Party even more. Anyway these are just my thoughts and just wanted to start a conversation as I’m just interested in what others think and open to have my mind changed
Personally I think he alienates those who are center left like me. I'm probably going to vote lib dem rather than labour
Aaronrj01
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
He’s a terrorist sympathiser using the promise of free stuff to brainwash entitled young people
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
He won't be PM that much all can be rest assured.
As Leader of Opposition he is a joke.

The Labour Party will need some new blood in its leadership and its time for Corbyn to be sent the same way of Ed Miliband. Perhaps they should bring back Dave Miliband into the leadership and get rid of the likes of Diane Abbott, Sadiq Khan and the likes.
alicewxnderland
Rep:
?
(Original post by PilgrimOfTruth)
Funniest thing I've heard in ages At the last election Old Compo Corbyn had 3 massive crutches to leane on. He had:1) Remainers on his side voting tactically to scupper BrExit2) The young voters on his side because he'd shamelessly duped them with false promises of free tuition fees and wiping student debts3) the conservatives putting up the worse campaign for yearsDespite those 3 massive advantages Corbyn still lost the election for Labour by 262 seats to 318. A collossal failure and defeat given his massive advantages.Really by now the "Labour" party MPs should have ousted old Jezbollah because they will NEVER get into power with him at the helm, he is simply unelectable, simple as.If you had anotehr election now Corbyn and his Looney Labour would be annhiliated. Why? Because:1) Remainers now realise that Corbyn isn't going to help them at all. There's no chance of a 2nd referendum and it is well known now that Corbyn has opposed the EU all his political career. Remainers are NOT going to vote for him.2) The young voters, seeing now how they were totally hoodwinked and lied to are understandably (and rightly) very angry and won't support him anything like before.3) The Tories won't have a bad campaign again, they will up their game significantly.In short the 3 props/crutches that Corbyn had in the last election no longer exist.He is perceived as a terrorist supporting marxist with his past IRA links and Hamas/Hezbollah "friends" and he's shown himself to be a man that will say literally anything, however ridiculous and unachievable in order to garner votes. Nothing he says can be trusted.He is totally unelectable and 100% HAS to go.The real Labour Party is now dead and has been for some time. It has been usurped from within by the Marxist militant Momentum lefties who have set about getting rid of real Labour MPs who oppose their policies and methods.Corbyn's rabble are a totally separate party. It should be called the "Militant Marxist Party" but as that wouldn't get many votes they have literally stolen the banner of the "Labour Party" and are simply pretending to be that party. The nation thankfully knows the truth and that's why Labour spectacularly lost the last election and why they will keep losing elections until they wise up and get rid of Corbyn and Momentum.Real Labour is dead. Corbyn is unelectable. There no longer exists a viable opposition to the Tories which is a poor state for UK politics.What needs to happen now is all the real Labour MPs to get together and form a totally new party and work from there. They have dillied and dallied around with Corbyn messing up the works for too long and given themselves a huge problem as a result. Mostly because they feared for their jobs.They now need to stand firm, stand up for what is right and either wrest control of the party back from the Marxists or set up a new party altogether.Either way, Tories are in power for years to come. May will of course be replaced, no question and no problem with that. But the Tory party will continue and the majority of the populous will keep voting for it because there is no viable alternative.apologies for bad formatting. Old browser wont work properly with this forum, will edit later on a better laptop
Agree with you on Corbyn pushing for ideas that aren’t real labour and allowing Momentum to operate within Labour to bring back a more militant form of politics but not really having any real loyalty to the party. I also agree that whatever real Labour MP’s there are left need to take a stand and either get rid of Corbyn or start something else on their own. I feel as if Corbyn’s following has almost become a cult and if you don’t support him you get labelled a “Blairite” and often find many of them aren’t willing to have a reasonable debate because they can’t accept any criticism against him. That is what I believe is dangerous because it has created this God-complex and instead of supporting him it seems like they worship him instead and refuse to accept he has any faults. Even when his faults have been obvious like his poor Remain campaign where he was interviewed and said he was about a 7 or 7.5/10 sure that he wanted to remain in the EU, none of his supporters kicked off about that.
I think many of them need to realise that many of ideas he puts forward sound great in a perfect world but this isn’t a perfect world especially with the state our economy will be in when we leave the EU and I feel he fills people with false hope and idealism. I think that although Blair’s decision to go a head with the Iraq war was a horrific choice and resulted in devastating consequences which are unforgivable, he also did many good things before that like giving state schools and the NHS proper funding, keeping tuition fees low and affordable housing which is what we are completely lacking now and what we won’t see in the next how ever many years with a conservative government.
HighOnGoofballs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Brocolli123)
You got played like a violin mate.

"he's a genuine nice guy"

"wants to help the everyman"

Lmfao give me a break.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by random_matt)
I think if things continue as they are, at the next election no single party will win and we will have another coalition, probably with the SNP as king makers. Niether the Tories or Labour are asserting themselves on the issues that actually matter to people's lives. As I predicted they are completely consumed by Europe. No I know everyone has an opinion on Europe, but in reality, my kids are being educated by an underfunded education system and my family are receiving health care from an underfunded health services whilst the crime on the streets around me is going up due to an underfunded police force. That is where the votes are and no one is talking about the crisis that is gripping our public services.
alicewxnderland
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
I think if things continue as they are, at the next election no single party will win and we will have another coalition, probably with the SNP as king makers. Niether the Tories or Labour are asserting themselves on the issues that actually matter to people's lives. As I predicted they are completely consumed by Europe. No I know everyone has an opinion on Europe, but in reality, my kids are being educated by an underfunded education system and my family are receiving health care from an underfunded health services whilst the crime on the streets around me is going up due to an underfunded police force. That is where the votes are and no one is talking about the crisis that is gripping our public services.
You make a good point about the coalition and agree with you on the fact that brexit negotiations are distracting people from the issues that really need to be handled
maxhatings12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm not really a fan of him at all. He caused the mess of Brexit because he never made his stance clear on the matter. He loves the idea of faffing about with "peace talks" and all that rubbish which would just make Britain Russia's b****. He made all these mental promises at the snap election because he was desperate and thought he'd lose by a landslide, however after producing these promises at the election and actually doing relatively well, he's had to backtrack on a few of them as he knows they are fiscal suicide. He won't call out the mess in his own party because he is weak. He has Diane abbott as his shadow Home Secretary and I can't even get started on her because she has her own very long list of things that make her horrible.
Saying all this, I am by no means a Tory and the Lib Dems keep coming out with outlandish comments which mean its impossible to appreciate any main party. I would describe myself as central-left however British politics are at both the extremes just now
username3130442
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I don't mind Corbyn, but dislike him more than like him. He's done some great things in his life such as the stop the war coalition, but I don't think he's fit to lead the country at such a dramatic time, nor is May. We need a strong leader, and none of the candidates fit this. What I really don't like about Corbyn is his fanbase and momentum, momentum probably being my least favourite. Momentum controls Corbyn and frankly is, a cult pushing propaganda, and they want to take over labour[1]. Momentum only gives one side of the picture, constantly praising Corbyn, even on some of his ridiculous stances such as the party wasn't anti semitic until it was openly revealed by labour itself. Momentum has more power than Labour HQ over the party. Momentum is also linked to anti-semitism [3], one of the volunteers quit due to it.
I also think the shadow cabinet he has appointed could not be any worse. John McDonnell still refuses to apologise over his remarks for the call for lynching a Tory MP [4], and Dianne Abbott is the kind of person who complains about cultural appropriation. Corbyn also doesn't have a clear Brexit plan and doesn't seem very happy about trident, which HQ has obviously forced him into agreeing with keeping. Corbyn also would probably destroy ties with the US considering he has built his whole career on campaigning against the U.S, e.g Vietnam and Iraq, and also doesn't like Trump[5]. Corbyn needs to learn to suck up to Trump, as we are going to need him after Brexit. That's a few of my views.

[1] https://www.theguardian.com/politics...trol-of-labour
[2] https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b00fa46f850df2
[3] https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a3806771.html
[4] https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/j...-a3745636.html
[5] https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8158356.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (59)
15.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (38)
9.77%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (74)
19.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
15.17%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (43)
11.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (116)
29.82%

Watched Threads