Child sex crime: Does India have a growing problem?

Watch this thread
username4161068
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-44497312

India feels like it is going through an upsurge of sexual violence against children, with reports dominating the news week after week and prompting public anger.
In June, hundreds came out on to the streets in central India protesting over the rape of a seven-year-old girl.

Has there been a rise in the sexual abuse of children, defined as anyone under the age of 18, or is it that more cases are coming to light?

It's partly down to more reporting by India's rapidly expanding media sector, dominated by television and mobile news providers.

There have also been changes to the legal definition of rape and a new requirement that makes it mandatory for the police to record complaints of sexual assault.

The current debate was sparked in part by the rape and murder of an eight-year-old girl in Indian-administered Kashmir earlier this year.
The trial of the men alleged to be involved started in April and led to a wider discussion about the prevalence of child sexual abuse.

India's Women and Child Development Minister, Maneka Gandhi, said she was "deeply disturbed" by the Kashmir rape case and other cases that had come to light.

In acknowledgement of growing public concern, the Indian government introduced the death penalty for anyone convicted of raping a child younger than 12.
Legal definition change

Latest data released by the Indian government shows that child rapes reported to the authorities doubled over the five years from 2012 to 2016.

Prior to 2012, there was no single law specifically dealing with children as victims of sexual offences (and rape was strictly defined as penetration).

Some forms of sexual assault - which may be more common with child victims - were not included, while the police faced no sanction for refusing to register complaints by victims.

The landmark Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act of November 2012 was India's first comprehensive law to deal specifically with child sex abuse.

The number of reported cases of child rape rose by nearly 45% the next year.

The new act is gender neutral and includes various forms of sexual assault.

It also makes the failure to report or record a case of child sex abuse punishable with a jail term and fine.

"Doctors and police are not able to turn back complainants by dismissing their complaint as a 'household matter' any more as this can land them in jail," says Audrey D'Mello of the Mumbai-based Majlis Legal Centre, that supports sex abuse victims.

She believes the requirement for the authorities to now register complaints has had a big role in increasing the number of reported cases.

The gang rape of 23-year-old female student Jyoti Singh on a bus in Delhi in December 2012 generated global interest in sexual violence in India, and brought the focus squarely on the role of the police in investigating such crimes.
Soon afterwards, the Indian government broadened the definition of sexual crimes against women by enacting the Criminal Law Amendment Ordinance 2013.
The effect was very apparent with a rise of more than 35% in reported cases of rape in 2013 compared with 2012.

Tip of the iceberg

There are those who believe that child sexual abuse may be much more prevalent than had been assumed.
In 2007, the Ministry of Women and Child Development conducted a survey that recorded responses from more than 17,000 children across 13 Indian states.
Just over half of the children surveyed (53.2%) reported that they had faced one or more forms of sexual abuse.
For the purposes of this study, various forms of sexual abuse were included, not only rape.
Kumar Shailabh, a lawyer at the Haq Centre of Child Rights, says the study highlights that there has been gross under-reporting of sexual abuse in India.
He also points out that the age of consent was increased from 16 to 18 years in the 2012 act, leading to the criminalising of consensual sexual relationships among young people between those ages.

Difficult legal process

Despite the increase in the number of reported cases of child rape and a comprehensive law, the conviction rate is unchanged since 2012 at 28.2%.

The 2012 act states that a trial in any case of child sex abuse should be completed within one year. But this is rarely followed as the legal process remains slow.

Where the offender is either a family member or someone known to the victim, the pressure to withdraw complaints can be immense.

Families are hesitant to bring complaints against their own members out of concern for "family honour".

Ms D'Mello says: "Even when complaints are made, there is an unspoken effort to not prosecute the offender, the system works against the complainant and she is often proved to have made a false accusation."

hoore
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
India is hot mess. Its cramped crowded cities have some hope, but the rest of the country is a vast backward sea of ignorance and religion.
Muudeey
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I feel like child sex has been around for long time but people are just starting to report it. Growing wouldn’t be the right word more like discovering
GalGirl101
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
India's always had a problem with rape in general

It's descending back into a third world country and before anyone says anything I am Indian myself
DEͥSTͣIͫNY
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I can't believe India and China together make up over a third of the Earth's human population. I just calculated it. Quite fascinating
hoore
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by GalGirl101)

It's descending back into a third world country and before anyone says anything I am Indian myself
What do you mean back into the third world it never left
BoerGenocide1
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Maybe because the spotlight is on India

But I bet if you moved that to Pakistan, it would be as bad or worse given all the grooming gangs in Europe of Pakistani origin
username2281303
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

I mean, India is a NIC (so second world country technically). Economically, wouldn't really say it's decending back into a 3rd world country lmao

But yes, India's problem with rape is pretty bad :/ Idk, BBC always seems to be reporting a rape case from India. Pretty sad :/
Bulletzone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BoerGenocide1)
Maybe because the spotlight is on India

But I bet if you moved that to Pakistan, it would be as bad or worse given all the grooming gangs in Europe of Pakistani origin
98% chance this person is indian.
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
This would never happen in England.

Too many fat ugly kids.
username3934898
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
of course it's more cases coming into the light.

the government doesn't care enough nothing's going to change because of how unbelievably corrupt the system is

it seems the change has to start at the top otherwise we're just going to keep hearing cases like this again and again and again...

what's even more sickening is the recent number of victims being burned alive. i really hope that doesn't continue.
GalGirl101
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ZiggyStardust_)
I mean, India is a NIC (so second world country technically). Economically, wouldn't really say it's decending back into a 3rd world country lmao

But yes, India's problem with rape is pretty bad :/ Idk, BBC always seems to be reporting a rape case from India. Pretty sad :/
I was always talking about the society there. Not the economy. Never brought that into the conversation lmao I didn't mean it in that way so I'm a bit ????? At why you felt the need to reply about the economy
username2281303
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I was always talking about the society there. Not the economy. Never brought that into the conversation lmao I didn't mean it in that way so I'm a bit ????? At why you felt the need to reply about the economy
Because when a country improves economically, that often allows social improvements too.
you said India is descending back into a third world country...if anything, it is improving as a country. India's development is sky rocketing. As OP says, it's more likely that these kinda rape cases are being brought into the spotlight; not that India is regressing into a third world country.
BlameImmigration
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
This is just my opinion so I am not asking anyone to agree with me, I think that Pakistan is in a worse position. Why is this- Pakistan have a low reporting rate as they are not as intellectual as their Indian counterparts in this area- to go with this there are religion reasons such as maintaining family "honour" There are 55,641 rapes in Pakistan or 28.8 per 100,000 of population this dwarfs the issue of India- the BBC are silent about this though.
somemightsay888
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bulletzone)
98% chance this person is indian.
Lmao, India zindabad!!1!1!!

All these third world countries have this issue. And they always will. Some places are just perpetual shitholes with backwards cultures. There's no hope for improvement because there's just too many degenerates to civilise.
Yeahwhat
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)

Too many fat ugly kids.
Funny huh?
BlameImmigration
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

Too many fat ugly kids.
What about the grooming gangs a very large % of them are Pakistani, Not so many Indians
Bulletzone
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

Too many fat ugly kids.
But who was Rotherham?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.92%
As I expected (24)
30.77%
Harder (29)
37.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.13%

Watched Threads