username4144838
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey,
I was just wondering what textbooks are best for each subject and whether they are worth buying.

I would prefer a book that is very clearly set out and not too overwhelming as that is this case with a lot of these study guides and books, especially maths!

Subjects:
-English
-Maths
-French(don't need a textbook for that)
-Spanish(don't need a textbook for that)
-Biology(already have 'How to pass', are there other books that are good, past, practice papers?)
-Chemistry(same situation that I have with Biology)
-History
-Art
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by itssskyeee)
Hey,
I am in S4 taking my National 5 Exams. I was just wondering what textbooks are best for each subject and whether they are worth buying.

I would prefer a book that is very clearly set out and not too overwhelming as that is this case with a lot of these study guides and books, especially maths!

Subjects:
-English
-Maths
-French(don't need a textbook for that)
-Spanish(don't need a textbook for that)
-Biology(already have 'How to pass', are there other books that are good, past, practice papers?)
-Chemistry(same situation that I have with Biology)
-History
-Art
In terms of whether textbooks are worth buying, it depends on what your school are giving you and what helps you learn. It's by no means impossible to get good grades without them, but equally, a lot of people find them beneficial.

If you are able to, try and visit your local bookshop, like Waterstones, WH Smith, Blackwells, etc. and just have a look at the National 5 textbooks they have there, as that will give you the best idea of which ones you think will suit you most, as different people do have different preferences.

For maths, I used the Leckie and Leckie student book, but this was provided by my school. In my opinion, from seeing other people's copies, the how to pass and bright red maths books don't have enough practice questions to be used as textbooks- they are more useful as summaries.

English- I think I had How to Pass, which I did find useful, though it can only really provide general advice in areas like the critical essay. A lot of the texts that are commonly done (especially the ones that GCSE students use for their exams) will have lots of online notes (and sometimes books analysing them too)- sometimes it takes a bit of digging to find these though if it's a less popular text.

For biology, the how to pass is good I think. It has clear concise notes (without big gaping holes) and has practice questions that I found useful.

Chemistry- I didn't use textbooks much, as our class notes were really good. We had access to how to pass in school and for this subject, I din't find it all that useful. The Chemcord question books are good if you're wanting a high pass, as there are questions in those that are more tricky and should stretch your knowledge a bit.

Can't really comment on history or art as I never took those.

Also, you can get quite a bit of money off if you buy direct from the publishers and have a Young Scot card, so check whether this is cheaper than offers in bookshops before you go buying books!

Hope this helps
username4144838
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Woah, thanks so much for such an informative reply! Cheers!
I'm planning to go visit Waterstones to have a look at the books myself because I guess it it subjective! Then I'll buy them on Amazon(my inner cheapskate coming out)

I have the English "How to Pass" book and to be honest, it's not that great. More so advice, like you said. I'm not really sure English is the subject where you can buy textbooks for, practice papers are probably the way to go.

I have both of the How to Pass books for the Sciences and they are really good but the questions aren't too exam like so I will have a look at Chemcord- never heard of it!

Thank you so much- you have really helped me and appreciate the time and effort
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by itssskyeee)
Woah, thanks so much for such an informative reply! Cheers!
I'm planning to go visit Waterstones to have a look at the books myself because I guess it it subjective! Then I'll buy them on Amazon(my inner cheapskate coming out)

I have the English "How to Pass" book and to be honest, it's not that great. More so advice, like you said. I'm not really sure English is the subject where you can buy textbooks for, practice papers are probably the way to go.

I have both of the How to Pass books for the Sciences and they are really good but the questions aren't too exam like so I will have a look at Chemcord- never heard of it!

Thank you so much- you have really helped me and appreciate the time and effort
No problem

Sounds like a good plan

For English as well, when it comes to essay questions, the old Intermediate 2 past papers are fine as a source of practice.

Yeah, they're not exam questions, though I found the ones in the biology one to be useful for checking my understanding, and also for making flashcards from.

No problem at all- happy to help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads