The Student Room Group

Do you have to pass GCSE Chemistry to take A level Chemistry?

I feel like i did really badly on my chemistry GCSE and I need an A level in chemistry to become a doctor, so I'm wondering if I have to pass GCSE Chemistry to take it as an A level? The sixth form I'm going to be attending says you just need 5 GCSE's at 4/C's or above including Maths and English Language- But i feel like I have to pass GCSE chemistry.

((Before you say I need a good grade at GCSE chemistry in order to take medicine- I already know that I need like 5 GCSE's at A-A*/7-9 including chemistry to take medicine so if I do badly at my Chemistry GCSE i'll just retake it)) ;D
Reply 1
Most sixth forms do require atleast a pass in the subjects youre taking for Alevels so the answer to your question would be yes. But this is dependent on the sixth form/college itself and whether they would allow you to do chemistry if you didnt pass.
Reply 2
Original post by Zerxz
I feel like i did really badly on my chemistry GCSE and I need an A level in chemistry to become a doctor, so I'm wondering if I have to pass GCSE Chemistry to take it as an A level? The sixth form I'm going to be attending says you just need 5 GCSE's at 4/C's or above including Maths and English Language- But i feel like I have to pass GCSE chemistry.

((Before you say I need a good grade at GCSE chemistry in order to take medicine- I already know that I need like 5 GCSE's at A-A*/7-9 including chemistry to take medicine so if I do badly at my Chemistry GCSE i'll just retake it)) ;D

actually to get into medicine, there is a long route and short route, the shorter route is of course for those who do good in there GCSE's, and the other route is for those who dont get as good grades (e.g C's and B's) of course to get into A level chemistry it is usually a B grade (sorry i dont know what number this is in the new grade boundaries 1-9) but a few places would maybe take C's to fill spaces if there are any left

basicly there is hope but if you have less than a strong C grade (which i believe is a 5 on the new grade boundaries) i'm pretty sure places wont accept you for chemistry.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that you'll need a pass or in the majority of schools/colleges a grade 6 in chemistry to take it at A-Level. Unless you took combined science, then you'll only need a double 6.
In my school, you needed an A at the minimum to take the Sciences, English and Maths at A-Level (now a 7) so it's dependent on the school. Ask them specifically about passing Chemistry

But you have to ask yourself: If you can't get a pass at GCSE how well do you really expect to do at A-Level??? I hate to sound pretensions or something but I'm just worried/curious I guess because A-Levels is a BIG jump
When I did chemistry at A-level (2 years ago) the two sixth forms I applied to both required a good chemistry GCSE to take the A-level. Some sixthforms will let you retake Chemistry GCSE alongside two other A-levels, then you can do Chemistry A-level after that.
Just as a warning though, chemistry A-level is a very difficult subject, and I struggled with it, even though it was my best GCSE subject and my dad worked in a chemistry lab for 24 years of his life, and had been basically training me my entire life, so if you are struggling with it at GCSE, you might have difficulty with it at A-level. But if you think you can do it, then go ahead - it is much more interesting than the GCSE.
Reply 6
i believe so the college i went to required a minium of B in chemistry and maths and 5 gcses at grade C to take a level chemistry and biology. why do u want to become a doctor?
Reply 7
Original post by GalGirl101
In my school, you needed an A at the minimum to take the Sciences, English and Maths at A-Level (now a 7) so it's dependent on the school. Ask them specifically about passing Chemistry

But you have to ask yourself: If you can't get a pass at GCSE how well do you really expect to do at A-Level??? I hate to sound pretensions or something but I'm just worried/curious I guess because A-Levels is a BIG jump

while i cannot say your not wrong, for the first two-four weeks of my equivalent A level course i did for college, i didn't understand a lot of it and would go to my friend for why this is like this for questions etc, (it was quite bad) after the first month i managed to get my head in gear for rest of the course (which is of course two years in total, and managed to get top grades) but getting your head in gear from not knowing really anything from GCSE (i got a C grade in chemistry GCSE which is quite poor if im honest) it can be challenging and quite hard but it is do able, you just have to focus, concentrate, remember what your being taught and start connecting dots to what you know, when you start doing this it makes it much easier to understand and allows you to look at certain topics that you would otherwise have no clue about.

but you are right Galgirl it does depend on the six form/collage

PS: hey again Galgirl i remember you from last night with that troll xD

Quick Reply

Latest