What dates are normal for new students to move in to their accommodation? Watch

justsmurficus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Going to be studying at Hallam this year and just wondering when people normally move in to halls for their first year.

Thanks in advance :grin:
Breeee
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Its normally mid September. Your accommodation provider will tell you the exact date
justsmurficus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Breeee)
Its normally mid September. Your accommodation provider will tell you the exact date
Ah okay, thanks!

I'm assuming other people in the same accommodation would receive the same dates?

Only asking because I don't want to arrive a week later than everyone else :lol:
Breeee
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by justsmurficus)
Ah okay, thanks!

I'm assuming other people in the same accommodation would receive the same dates?

Only asking because I don't want to arrive a week later than everyone else :lol:
Yes everyone will receive the same date although sometimes people arrive a couple days late (most move in on the first move in date though). The only exception to this is some places let people who lived there last year move in like a week early if theyre staying at the same place
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Going to be studying at Hallam this year and just wondering when people normally move in to halls for their first year.

Hey justsmurficus

Good luck with starting at Hallam this September- exciting times ahead! As Breeee said- it is normally mid September. Which halls are you moving into?

Have you tried posting on the Hallam accommodation thread here?

And have you come across this group on facebook? You can ask on here who is moving into your halls and when.

Any questions on this, let me know,
Bridget
SHUGURU
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Hey! Congrats on your place at Hallam! I've just finished my third year here so if you have any questions about the university, Sheffield or student life feel free to ask.

In first year I moved in on something like the 18th which was the weekend before Freshers' week started, but a few people from my accommodation moved in the week earlier. Like someone else said you'll be told when you can first move in, and if you are able to find any flatmates online beforehand you'll be able to find out when they're moving in! Although a few of us moved in at different dates at mine, it didn't affect how we got on. In fact they'd been exploring the city so they ended up showing me around (if showing me around means showing me where each Spoons is.)

Good luck and enjoy!
justsmurficus
Rep:
?
(Original post by SHUGURU)
Hey! Congrats on your place at Hallam! I've just finished my third year here so if you have any questions about the university, Sheffield or student life feel free to ask.

In first year I moved in on something like the 18th which was the weekend before Freshers' week started, but a few people from my accommodation moved in the week earlier. Like someone else said you'll be told when you can first move in, and if you are able to find any flatmates online beforehand you'll be able to find out when they're moving in! Although a few of us moved in at different dates at mine, it didn't affect how we got on. In fact they'd been exploring the city so they ended up showing me around (if showing me around means showing me where each Spoons is.)

Good luck and enjoy!
Thanks!

Found out the arrival date for my accommodation at Liberty Hall is the 22nd, which should be fine for travelling

Currently doing as you suggested and looking for my future flatmates through the various social media groups

Thanks again for the suggestions and help!
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Move in the 22nd, have two weeks until first lecture, strange.
SHUGURU
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by random_matt)
Move in the 22nd, have two weeks until first lecture, strange.
You don't have to move in then, but some people like to get settled and figure out the city they're going to be living in. Sometimes the dates are earlier because international students have an orientation week to settle into the country, too!

I don't know if Freshers' week is included in those two weeks or not, but you'll also have some induction lecturers that week.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 27 Oct '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (54)
68.35%
No I haven't decided yet (16)
20.25%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.39%

Watched Threads