Comparing gravitational and inertial mass

Watch
h26
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
https://www.khanacademy.org/science/...rtial-mass-ap1

I am struggling to understand what they mean and the formulas associated with them - can somebody help understand these?
So like i don't understand
gravitational and inertial mass
Thanks
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You're not being clear enough about what you're struggling with IMO

FWIW

Inertial mass of an object determines the amount of force needed to accelerate that object. The formula is F=ma (also known as Newtons second law)

Gravitational mass of an object determines the amount of weight force which that object experiences in a gravitational field.

The questions are about different ways of measuring mass
you can measure mass by accelerating an object with a known force
you can measure mass by comparing the weight force acting on two different objects in a gravitational field using a pan balance.
h26
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
You're not being clear enough about what you're struggling with IMO

FWIW

Inertial mass of an object determines the amount of force needed to accelerate that object. The formula is F=ma (also known as Newtons second law)

Gravitational mass of an object determines the amount of weight force which that object experiences in a gravitational field.

The questions are about different ways of measuring mass
you can measure mass by accelerating an object with a known force
you can measure mass by comparing the weight force acting on two different objects in a gravitational field using a pan balance.
Hey thanks! so I am still a bit confused about gravitational force is it just weight of an object so mg?
Also have no idea what you meean by this "you can measure mass by comparing the weight force acting on two different objects in a gravitational field using a pan balance."
lemme know pls
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by h26)
Hey thanks! so I am still a bit confused about gravitational force is it just weight of an object so mg?
Also have no idea what you meean by this "you can measure mass by comparing the weight force acting on two different objects in a gravitational field using a pan balance."
lemme know pls

pan balance is one of these ^^^
h26
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)

pan balance is one of these ^^^
so Ik what a pan balance is - just confused with what you mean by the statement "you can measure mass by comparing the weight force acting on two different objects in a gravitational field using a pan balance." like measure the mass of what?
gravitational force is it just weight of an object so mg right?
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by h26)
so Ik what a pan balance is - just confused with what you mean by the statement "you can measure mass by comparing the weight force acting on two different objects in a gravitational field using a pan balance." like measure the mass of what?
gravitational force is it just weight of an object so mg right?
yeah weight is proportional to mass.

equal weights in the same gravitational field means equal masses, you're assuming the gravitational field strength is the same at both pans but this is a reasonable assumption.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (187)
33.27%
Receiving them online / by email (282)
50.18%
I still don't know (93)
16.55%

Watched Threads