Why it’s good/bad ?

Can it save lives ?

Does it kill ?
X_exceed
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It just smells bad, please don't smoke it around populated areas :leaf::leaf::leaf:
username3871102
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Its fine and recent research has been showing it has medicinal purposes. I don't think anyone under 18 should be smoking it, all it does is make you laugh and feel relaxed, nothing too it.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Hporter0000)
Been on my mind a lot just wanted to see some peoples opinions

Some theories and thoughts ?

Why it’s good/bad ?

Can it save lives ?

Does it kill ?
I've read that alcohol and smoking cigarettes is more damaging to your health than weed.
HoorayHarry
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Cannabis is a class B drug.
You'll likely get a caution for possession if it's your first offence and not combined with other offences.

However possession with intent to supply (usually over two ounces, or being in possession of multiple small bags) is a criminal offence and can get you time in prison.

Cannabis has two main components:
THC - this can cause paychoactivity, paranoia, scitzophrenia if incorrectly used
CBD - the medicinal element of cannabis, used to treat cancer, and also negates the paranoid and scitzoid effects of THC

Also there is a MASSIVE amount of tar in cannabis, and in England professionally grown cannabis is sprayed with a type of sand that is not only cancer causing but increases the weight of the "product"

As for is it "wrong" depends on your definition.
Not judging, just giving you the info to make your mind up with an informed decision
Jang Gwangnam
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It gives immediate relaxation in the short term.

So it's good as long as you only smoke it occasionally - just make sure not to get your ass jailed, the cops don't take kindly to it.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As with a lot of things it depends on how it is used. Cannabis in itself is not bad or good, but it can be used in bad or good ways. Here's my understanding of it:

One part of the cannabis (and hemp) plant has some significant medical potential. That part is CBD oil and is actually legal to purchase and use in the UK and has even been given on prescription to at least one person. Another part is psychoactive and the reason cannabis is taken recreationally. That part is THC and is illegal in the UK (and most places I'm aware of).
As far as illegal drugs go cannabis really isn't all that bad- no recorded deaths due to it, doesn't massively affect people's mental state when compared to things like heroin etc. And in fact it's arguably less harmful than some legal drugs like alcohol. If used well it could even help with things like anxiety or medical conditions. It's still illegal though and like most things in life it can be misused. Not to mention it freaking stinks! I believe it can also mess up developing young people so is not as safe for them as it is for adults.

All in all it's potential is pretty much as un-bad as anything can be. People can misuse it, but frankly you can misuse stamp collecting. That's more it being used as a tool than it actually being bad itself. It also has some potential to be very very good and both CBD and medical marijuana are becoming a big deal in the treatment of chronic conditions both mental and physical.

Is it wrong? Arguably yes because it is illegal. Should it be wrong? I would personally argue no as long as it is used properly. I personally believe we'd be far better off if we swapped alcohol and weed. Frankly alcohol is far more harmful than weed and it's petty hypocritical making one illegal while the other is sold in almost every store.

*The one thing I will note is I believe smoking weed has added potential for harm because smoking has it's own potential harms. Weed/ CBD/ Cannabis can be taken in ways other than smoking. Cigarettes is another one of those things I think should be focussed on more than weed.

I very much believe that CBD is good. I honestly don't care either way about weed other than it being smoked and how it affects development. I don't think I'd ever take it myself (ignoring the whole illegal bit), but I don't really see why others shouldn't.
HoorayHarry
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kindred)

I very much believe that CBD is good. I honestly don't care Veither way about weed other than it being smoked and how it affects development. I don't think I'd ever take it myself (ignoring the whole illegal bit), but I don't really see why others shouldn't.

It's probably important to point out here that pharmaceutical grade cannabis and illegally grown cannabis are two different strains.

Black market cannabis was selectively grown over decades to have maximum THC content, and this THC CAN exacerbate mental health disorders.

Pharmaceutical grade cannabis is specifically grown to contain either equal parts THC to CBD (as the CBD balances out the negative effects of the THC) or predominantly CBD (since CBD has the medicinal effects).

I've seen a lot of people smoke weed and be fine; I've also seen a lot of people smoke and become crazy paranoid cartoon versions of themselves.

Smoking every day will also make you more blind to the negative effects, so you don't just see your paranoia as a side effect of the cannabis. And will cause you to become grumpy and irate when you haven't had a spliff.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by HoorayHarry)
It's probably important to point out here that pharmaceutical grade cannabis and illegally grown cannabis are two different strains.

Black market cannabis was selectively grown over decades to have maximum THC content, and this THC CAN exacerbate mental health disorders.

Pharmaceutical grade cannabis is specifically grown to contain either equal parts THC to CBD (as the CBD balances out the negative effects of the THC) or predominantly CBD (since CBD has the medicinal effects).

I've seen a lot of people smoke weed and be fine; I've also seen a lot of people smoke and become crazy paranoid cartoon versions of themselves.

Smoking every day will also make you more blind to the negative effects, so you don't just see your paranoia as a side effect of the cannabis. And will cause you to become grumpy and irate when you haven't had a spliff.
Very good points
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.95%
Uncertainty around my education (92)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
10.29%
Lack of purpose or motivation (103)
12.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.96%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.58%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (88)
10.9%
Financial worries (54)
6.69%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.58%
Exposure to negative news/social media (51)
6.32%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.1%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (77)
9.54%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (64)
7.93%

Watched Threads