Think Ahead Application 2019 - Is anyone apply? Watch

socialelevation
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi all,

I would like to apply for the Think Ahead programme 2019. I was hoping to network with other potential candidates interested in applying for the programme.

Likewise, it would be useful to speak to any other previous candidates who have been through the application process and could share any insight about the application process and assessment center?

I thought it would be a nice idea to create a forum specifically for prospective candidates to meet and support each other throughout the application process.

Thank you.
Last edited by socialelevation; 5 months ago
allie13
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi, I’ve been looking at think ahead for a while and had been waiting to finish my degree to apply. Finally ready to apply for 2019 but I recently heard there’s only like 80-100 places and last year there were over 2000 people apply? Does anyone know if this is true and whether they’ll be more places this year? Really disheartened me I’ve been building up experience for nearly three years now and I can’t get in to social work through the usual masters degree route because of financial reasons and I have no idea what else to do now if it’s true!
socialelevation
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by allie13)
Hi, I’ve been looking at think ahead for a while and had been waiting to finish my degree to apply. Finally ready to apply for 2019 but I recently heard there’s only like 80-100 places and last year there were over 2000 people apply? Does anyone know if this is true and whether they’ll be more places this year? Really disheartened me I’ve been building up experience for nearly three years now and I can’t get in to social work through the usual masters degree route because of financial reasons and I have no idea what else to do now if it’s true!
Hi Allie13,

Thank you for responding to my post, it is lovely to be in touch!

In response to your question regarding the number of applicants for the 2018 cohort, I am uncertain about the specific number of applicants. However, I would suggest if you have any specific questions regarding details about the programme it would be best to contact the organisation itself to eliminate anything you are unclear about. Likewise, there is a vast amount of information on the Think Ahead site including an FAQ section addressing general queries.

Could I ask what type of experience you have gained? I think the most important thing would be able to relate the experience, knowledge and skills you have gained according to the role and attributes a mental health social work is expected to perform. Additionally, I would suspect it would be helpful to have some sort of experience working with vulnerable individuals and groups of people.

I hope what I have said would be of some use for you. However, hopefully, other prospective candidates will be able to supplement further information to this discussion.

Best Wishes.
allie13
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by socialelevation)
Hi Allie13,

Thank you for responding to my post, it is lovely to be in touch!

In response to your question regarding the number of applicants for the 2018 cohort, I am uncertain about the specific number of applicants. However, I would suggest if you have any specific questions regarding details about the programme it would be best to contact the organisation itself to eliminate anything you are unclear about. Likewise, there is a vast amount of information on the Think Ahead site including an FAQ section addressing general queries.

Could I ask what type of experience you have gained? I think the most important thing would be able to relate the experience, knowledge and skills you have gained according to the role and attributes a mental health social work is expected to perform. Additionally, I would suspect it would be helpful to have some sort of experience working with vulnerable individuals and groups of people.

I hope what I have said would be of some use for you. However, hopefully, other prospective candidates will be able to supplement further information to this discussion.

Best Wishes.
Thank you! I’ve looked at the FAQs it doesn’t say anything about the number of places but I’ll try and get in touch. And yeah I’ve got three years experience as a support worker with vulnerable adults eg mental health and learning disabilities, brain injuries, ASD. Do you have any idea of what date the application opens? It says autum and I’ve got the notifaction turned on so they email me but do you think it’ll be like early September or end of autum?
Thanks, Allie
socialelevation
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
The applications open on Tuesday 25th September 2018.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ksildatke1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi all,
Im going to be applying this year as well and agree that it would be nice to be able to talk to people going through the same experience. I dont know exact numbers but apparently on average they have 23 applicants per place. They are expecting more applicants but also more places this year.
Is there anything anyone is doing to prepare for the application process.
socialelevation
Rep:
?
Hi Ksidatke1,

I have registered to attend their Meet Think Ahead event. There is also a Podcast on YouTube called ‘How to get a job in mental health social work with Think Ahead - Graduate Job’ by Graduate Podcast which I found very helpful. Besides that I have tried to familiarise myself with general knowledge of the role and job preparation.
ksildatke1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by socialelevation)
Hi Ksidatke1,

I have registered to attend their Meet Think Ahead event. There is also a Podcast on YouTube called ‘How to get a job in mental health social work with Think Ahead - Graduate Job’ by Graduate Podcast which I found very helpful. Besides that I have tried to familiarise myself with general knowledge of the role and job preparation.
Hi,
I wanted to go to one of their events but cant afford to unfortunately
Thanks so much for the info about the podcast i just had a listen and it was great
socialelevation
Rep:
?
That’s a shame you are unable to attend. The Graduate Podcast have some other useful podcast and information available. I am happy you found the Think Ahead - Graduate Job Podcast helpful.
Julus
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Is anyone applying for this now that it is open? I have started the application form but it seems to be taking ages and I haven't even got to the two videos needed!
ksildatke1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Ive started drafting my application but am worried about the videos. I want to apply asap though cause it says the earlier you apply the more chance you have
Julus
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I have just submitted my application so fingers crossed!
ksildatke1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Julus)
I have just submitted my application so fingers crossed!
Yay! That is so exciting. Good luck, do you know when you will hear
Julus
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ksildatke1)
Yay! That is so exciting. Good luck, do you know when you will hear
No, jthey said it could take up to 3 weeks. Are you applying?
socialelevation
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi everyone,

Well done to all of you who have completed your applications to the Think Ahead programme. I wish everyone else who is yet to complete the application all the best throughout each stage of the application/interview stages. Unfortunately, after long deliberation I have decided not to apply to the programme for several various reasons. However I would like to share some of the tools and resources I was using over the summer to prepare:

* As I previously mentioned before Graduate Podcast has many useful recorded Podcast on YouTube
Last edited by socialelevation; 4 months ago
socialelevation
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
* I also read a book called ‘How to Succeed at Assessment Centres (Palgrave Career Skills)’ by Katherine Houston & Eileen Cunningham. The book was very helpful on getting more insight into assessment centres and different ways to prepare.
* It would to be useful from now to start thinking/writing down your experiences (personally & professionally) in relation to the key attributes they are looking for - make sure to have a variety of experiences.
* If you have access to the Careers and employability services either at university or else where you may be able to book mock interviews and seek additional help in preparation for later stages of the application/interview process.
* Ensure you are clear on the competencies they are looking for and how those competencies relate to the actual job role you would undertake as a mental health social worker.
ksildatke1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Julus)
No, jthey said it could take up to 3 weeks. Are you applying?
Yeah am definetly applying. Im happy with my written answers but keep re recording my videos. I dont think I have ever been so anxious about anything lol
Julus
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ksildatke1)
Yeah am definetly applying. Im happy with my written answers but keep re recording my videos. I dont think I have ever been so anxious about anything lol
I know, it's so stressful isn't it. It's quite a relief when you hit the submit button!
ksildatke1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I have just submitted mine so scared lol
Frankie3456
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Has anyone heard back? sent mine off a week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (24)
68.57%
No (11)
31.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed