Think Ahead Application 2019 - Is anyone apply? Watch

infp2019
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
no, not yet hopefully soon either way as the wait is horrible.
(Original post by ksildatke1)
Thanks have you heard back yet?
Gems87123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Has anyone made it through to applicant day yet? Is it in London?
ksildatke1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Gems87123)
Has anyone made it through to applicant day yet? Is it in London?
I have and yes it is in London right by st pancres but I think they did some up North last year as well. Have you heard yet?
Gems87123
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I have and yes it is in London right by st pancreas but I think they did some up North last year as well. Have you heard yet?
I applied two weeks ago this Thurs coming so I may have to wait a while, I have attended the frontline assessment day - waiting to hear from them by end of next week
ksildatke1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Gems87123)
I applied two weeks ago this Thurs coming so I may have to wait a while, I have attended the frontline assessment day - waiting to hear from them by end of next week
Oh awesome how did you find the Frontline one? I was going to appy but decided not to and am now regreting it
Gems87123
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Oh awesome how did you find the Frontline one? I was going to apply but decided not to and am now regretting it
Its really good and they focus on children and families. You can still apply!
matildaa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I’ve finished the test stage and waiting to hear whether I got through to the assessment day. Does anyone who is through so far know whether they just give you one date or a range of assessment day dates to choose from? Thanks! 🙏🏼
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ksildatke1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by matildaa)
I’ve finished the test stage and waiting to hear whether I got through to the assessment day. Does anyone who is through so far know whether they just give you one date or a range of assessment day dates to choose from? Thanks! 🙏🏼
It says on thier website that you get a choice of 2 but I only got given one so not sure? They do pay £50 towards travel costs which i think is really good
royal1990
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey all,

I can see from many of the responses on here, that many have already applied - i'm yet to apply, so I'd better get cracking with that.

A few things I wanted to mention, of personal concern for me:

- What are other peoples educational background / degree subject?

Mine is in Digital Design / Creative Arts, so probably a bit different to a lot of peoples (so slightly disconcerting to me), and a little bit harder to try and relate back to something in demonstrating relevant experiences, in the application.

- What sorts of experiences do other people have to draw on?

I'd imagine many people have already volunteered or gained something through placement. I graduated in like 2016, and have only really done hospitality work ever since (sigh!), so its really hard for me to relate that back to leadership or anything that can be linked back. I am however, volunteering very soon in Peer Support with Vulnerable adults (fingers crossed), so it is something to talk about at the AC (if I get through).

- Does anybody have any advice on / best practise for answering questions? They recommend STAR.

I'm god-awful at this kind of stuff really. I do have some experiences in leadership (volunteered in students union as Course Rep), so I am a leader of sorts, but more in advocacy / student politics. It is very hard to relate this back to having 'led a team'.

Question for those already on the scheme: Does Think Ahead place value on 'lived experiences'? (So like, personal experience of mental health, complex needs, and hardship?).

I say this, because my application will likely rely heavily on my own personal struggles, and how I have overcome said challenges. I think this may stand me in a good position, but I dont just want to rely solely on this.

I am also slightly concerned about not been placed in my home geographical location; thats mainly because I live with my partner, and probably couldn't afford to relocate and live on my own. Especially if I was in London! I am hoping to be placed somewhere in the North - hopefully North West or Yorkshire (near my family).

Also, who's dreading the video submissions??

Sorry for all my questions - good luck to all those still applying or waiting!
ksildatke1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi,
My background is psychology so a litle bit more relevant then yours however I really dont think that matters. Loads of the case studys on thier website are from people who have done things ike history or engliash and they got in so there is no reason you woudnt.
I drew on paid work both with vulnerable adults and doing things like working in a shop. I also drew on voluntry experiance such as being a class rep. When i spoke to the careers servoce at my uni they said to really think outside the box for example have you ever solved a problem at work or helped a new staff member?
As part of your application you get to say where you would lik eto be placed and say if there is any reason you can not move or would find it hard to do so.
Im not going to lie I found the video submissions the worst bit and rerecorded them loads of times. I think its one of those things were you just need to prepare as much as you can and be prepared to do it a few times.
Good luck!!
Halfsies
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Submitted my initial application a week ago - hoping it won’t be toooo long before I hear something back either way!
ksildatke1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Halfsies)
Submitted my initial application a week ago - hoping it won’t be toooo long before I hear something back either way!
Good luck
Flowergreen123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello, is anyone booked on to the assessment day this Friday in London? How’s everyone feeling. I’m feeling very nervous! 😬
ksildatke1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Flowergreen123)
Hello, is anyone booked on to the assessment day this Friday in London? How’s everyone feeling. I’m feeling very nervous! 😬
I had an assessment day last friday. I was really nervous before hand but they do every thing they can to put you at ease. There was only about 15 people there and everyone was friendly. It helps that they make it clear that it is not a competition and everyone who meets the requirements will get a place. They will ring you this week (if they havent all ready) and give you lots of info. Good luck
Flowergreen123
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I had an assessment day last friday. I was really nervous before hand but they do every thing they can to put you at ease. There was only about 15 people there and everyone was friendly. It helps that they make it clear that it is not a competition and everyone who meets the requirements will get a place. They will ring you this week (if they havent all ready) and give you lots of info. Good luck
Ah thank you very much! That’s certainly put me at ease. Is there anything you would recommend to do/prepare in advance?

Yes I’ve had the phone call with extra information. It was helpful.

Keeping fingers crossed that you’ll get a place!
ksildatke1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
There isnt anything in particuler I would recomend just what they said on thephonecall. Maybe try and do some reaing around the role if you get a chance.
Thanks I find out by friday. It didnt go as well as i wanted so not that hopefull but we shall see.
Flowergreen123
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
There isnt anything in particuler I would recomend just what they said on thephonecall. Maybe try and do some reaing around the role if you get a chance.
Thanks I find out by friday. It didnt go as well as i wanted so not that hopefull but we shall see.
Perfect, thank you! Ah we can always be awfully critical of ourselves, I’m sure it went better than you thought.
Halfsies
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Found out today I’m through to an Assessment Centre on 8th December - was convinced I wasn’t going to be accepted so I’m chuffed to bits honestly! 😊😊
Flowergreen123
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Halfsies)
Found out today I’m through to an Assessment Centre on 8th December - was convinced I wasn’t going to be accepted so I’m chuffed to bits honestly! 😊😊
That’s great! I was due to attend the assessment centre today but my train was delayed on the rails for a couple of hours which means I’ve missed it. How typical! Totally gutted but I guess it was completely out of my control!
royal1990
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I just applied yesterday. What has the turnaround been like for people, between applying and doing online tests?

They said in the email that I will hear back within 3 weeks. Really hope I get to the assessment centre, I put a lot of effort into my application.

One thing I wanted to ask everyone was about what documents everyone submitted for DBS Clearance. I just submitted scans of my provisional license and my passport. Along with my degree certificate.

I'm just a bit concerned more about the fact I don't yet have GCSE Maths at C or above, but I did say i'd study for functional skills. Also the fact I don't drive.

Anybody else know when the next assessment centre is? Are the SJT tests challenging?
Last edited by royal1990; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (36)
12.68%
Yes - a food allergy (32)
11.27%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (9)
3.17%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
3.17%
No (198)
69.72%

Watched Threads