Joservela
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Why is Loughborough ranked so high in UK (7th) but so lowly ranked worldwide? (Almost 300th) Glasgow is ranked in the 20’s and still ranked in the 60’s worldwide ? This is killing me
Samiik
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dont pay attention to rankings, theyre bs tbh. Theyre different bc the world one and the uk ones are calculated differently
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Joservela)
Why is Loughborough ranked so high in UK (7th) but so lowly ranked worldwide? (Almost 300th) Glasgow is ranked in the 20’s and still ranked in the 60’s worldwide ? This is killing me
The ranking tables are a mess and can deceive students. As you have pointed, actually top universities are ranked low in the UK but high in the world, but rubbish UK unis are in the top 10 in the UK.

My advice is for you to be careful with ranking tables esp UK ones. Visit as many universities as you can and speak to many people including current students, grads, academics etc. With the feedback, you can begin to understand which are the actually decent universities for your course. Good luck
Joservela
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
The ranking tables are a mess and can deceive students. As you have pointed, actually top universities are ranked low in the UK but high in the world, but rubbish UK unis are in the top 10 in the UK.

My advice is for you to be careful with ranking tables esp UK ones. Visit as many universities as you can and speak to many people including current students, grads, academics etc. With the feedback, you can begin to understand which are the actually decent universities for your course. Good luck
Let me see if I understood you. Glasgow is technically more of a TOP Uni than Loughborough even though it’s poorly ranked in the UK?
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Joservela)
Let me see if I understood you. Glasgow is technically more of a TOP Uni than Loughborough even though it’s poorly ranked in the UK?
In my opinion, yes. Another example, do you think Loughborough is better than UCL or Imperial?

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ue-tables-2019
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Rankings are based on different thinks. UK rankings are based on things like teaching standards, entry requirements, student satisfaction etc. International rankings are based on research and reputation. This favours older universities in larger cities. This is why Glasgow, Cardiff and Bristol do well in international rankings whereas Bath, Loughborough and Lancaster do well in UK rankings.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (121)
15.69%
Uncertainty around my education (125)
16.21%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
9.34%
Isolating with family (51)
6.61%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (30)
3.89%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (66)
8.56%
Loneliness (81)
10.51%
Financial worries (32)
4.15%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (70)
9.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (50)
6.49%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (73)
9.47%

Watched Threads