Dissertation not going well, can I change to a PG diploma at this late stage?

Watch this thread
Izzyeviel
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Or am I doomed to having to do my dissertation? It's due end of August, I've lost the will to live just thinking about it.

What is the difference between the full masters and diploma? Would it affect anything career wise? Is there anything I should be aware of?

This is a masters degree i''m talking about.
FrankoJJameson
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
I highly recommend speaking to your academic advisor or dissertation supervisor. If there are reasons for this you might be given an extension. My understanding is that in order to successfully complete your masters you will need to submit your thesis. If you would like to exit without the masters I’m sure at the very least you will be able to carry credits attained during the course of study that may constitute a PGD. Best of luck
Izzyeviel
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by FrankoJJameson)
I highly recommend speaking to your academic advisor or dissertation supervisor. If there are reasons for this you might be given an extension. My understanding is that in order to successfully complete your masters you will need to submit your thesis. If you would like to exit without the masters I’m sure at the very least you will be able to carry credits attained during the course of study that may constitute a PGD. Best of luck
So it's not a simple thing then? I thought it would be quite a easy thing to do. I have no need for an extension, I've just had enough and want to move and concentrate on finding a job.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
In some places, failing the diss but passing everything else will result in the lower diploma being given. You need to check your handbook, really.

Personally I'd do the dissertation. What is it, 15,000 words tops?
FrankoJJameson
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Izzyeviel)
So it's not a simple thing then? I thought it would be quite a easy thing to do. I have no need for an extension, I've just had enough and want to move and concentrate on finding a job.
It’s pretty much the same process as undergraduate study. You attain credits by completing modules, so long as you need the required number of credits for any given award you can ask to receive this exit award. This is usually determined by an academic board. I would check your programme guide for the number of credits attached to the dissertation component vs credits required for PGD these should be outlined. My gut instinct is that you should be fine to exit with PGD but without knowing your programme or the modules you’ve undertaken/completed as part of your masters it’s difficult to say. I would check with your institution. Best of luck
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Izzyeviel)
Or am I doomed to having to do my dissertation? It's due end of August, I've lost the will to live just thinking about it.

What is the difference between the full masters and diploma? Would it affect anything career wise? Is there anything I should be aware of?

This is a masters degree i''m talking about.
There's a massive difference between a full Masters and a Diploma - it's like the difference between an A level and an AS level. Your University regulations may not allow for you to decide to 'change qualification', it may be an academic decision that requires a committee to review your performance and decide if it is worthy of a diploma award, it may not be a simple 'switch'.

I'd get help on the dissertation asap.
Duncan2012
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Employers could see the PGDip as 'a failed masters', and it probably won't add much (if anything) to your cv.

You've got six weeks. That's short enough to feign enough interest in the subject, and long enough to nail the dissertation. Totally doable if you want it. Obviously it's up to you if you want to push yourself a bit to get there. Good luck whatever you decide.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How was the OCR A-level Geography Paper 1 exam for you?

Great! (10)
15.38%
Quite well (30)
46.15%
Not so good (16)
24.62%
Terrible! (9)
13.85%

Watched Threads