Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I’m 16 and in a part time job/apprenticeship at a florist which I love doing. I have been homeschooled since I was 12, and I now have the choice to do my GCSE’s. I’m stuck however on if I should do them or continue with my job/apprenticeship?

My mum and dad are very supportive and they don’t mind either way I pick, but whenever the subject comes up with my friends/family/work colleagues, they always knock my confidence down by saying that I will regret it in the future, or that it’s the wrong descion or that they would do it if they were in my shoes.

I’m really stuck and I only have a few weeks left before the choice is gone for this year.

One part of me wants to do English and Math, but that means I would have to take some time off work, doing the thing I enjoy, to do the GCSEs. Also it’s a lot of money and I don’t know if I want to put myself through all that pressure.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Esme.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't do them, you will have no qualifications. Having to take some time off work is a bit of a silly reason not to sit your exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black tea)
    If you don't do them, you will have no qualifications. Having to take some time off work is a bit of a silly reason not to sit your exams!

It’s not that I don’t want to take time off work. It’s just that I would rather be learning new things at work, instead of sitting an exam that might not help me in the future if I stick with this job?

ReputationRep:
    It might not feel like it at the moment, but having absolutely no qualifications is a very risky place to be. What happens if the flower shop were to close? Or you were to get laid off? Or you get promoted to management and decide you want a management qualification? What if, in a few years, you decide that actually you do want to go to college or uni? Without at least a minimum level of qualifications you might find that you'll struggle to get where you want to be. I'd strongly suggest you do the GCSEs, so at least you've got something behind you in case your plans change somewhere down the line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmelorde1)
    It’s not that I don’t want to take time off work. It’s just that I would rather be learning new things at work, instead of sitting an exam that might not help me in the future if I stick with this job?
    And what happens if you don't stick with this job? You'll be an adult with no qualifications and won't even tick the minimum requirements for the most menial jobs. Do yourself a favour and at least get your GCSE English and maths. It's not like you need to take a year off work or anything and nobody enjoys doing exams but they are still necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmelorde1)
    You are very, very unlikely to be in that job for the rest of your life. And you will literally postpone learning new things at work for a few hours if you go and sit your GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    You definitely need to do GCSEs, you will physically not be qualified enough for even a very low skilled job. Which will lead to a very big disadvantage in the future if this shop closes- which it no doubt will as it sounds like a small local shop. Do yourself a favour and do the exams so you at least have English and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    This is an absolute ridiculous question. Screams naivety. Don't be stupid and not do GCSES.

Honestly, it's not even a question that should asked. Harsh but it's true .

ReputationRep:
    YES you need to do your GCSEs. Good luck earning a decent wage without them, I've heard florists are amongst the highest earners in the UK...(!)

ReputationRep:
    I really suggest you do at least English and Maths. Having at least these two makes life a lot easier later on.

I was home educated for my GCSEs, and I did about 30 to 45 minutes per subject a day for most of the year. Even without taking time of work, you should be able to find an hour a day to study.

In terms of cost, most exam centres which take private candidates charge per exam. If you chose specifications which have fewer exams (and no course work or practical assessment because they are really pricey), then the cost is bit lower.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    I was also homeschooled and did GCSE's. I have now finished my first year of A-levels. However I have homeschooled friends who didn't sit GCSE's but chose to continue working or do apprenticeships and they're doing well now. I think if that's something you enjoy and it's working for you now you should absolutely continue doing it.

I think being homeschooled you do learn to be more open minded and flexible. If you ever want to do GCSE's they can be sat at any point when you feel you want to do them. Don't feel pressured to do them now just because everyone else does them at 16.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.