NotSoVisualBasic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I found out the raf website has a practice AST (https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/h...apply/ast/test), if anyone has done the actual AST is this anywhere near the real AST, and can anyone tell me how good my scores are.
I got 35/46 and took 19:42 overall.
Verbal Reasoning: 11/12, 07:53
Numerical Reasoning Part 1: 5/5, 00:52
Numerical Reasoning Part 2: 9/9, 04:11
Work Rate: 2/4, 01:32
Spatial Reasoning Part 1: 2/2, 00:52
Spatial Reasoning Part 2: 1/2, 01:42
Electrical Comprehension: 2/4, 01:02
Mechanical Comprehension: 2/4, 01:23
Memory Part 1: 0/2
Memory Part 2: 1/2
(I really need to work on memory)

Is there anything I can use to prepare for the real upcoming CBAT (23/07/2018).
I'm applying for Pilot,Air Ops Controller, WSO.
EchoBravo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, I have done both the AST and the CBAT so if you want some help give me a message and I can help you out! (If you are going for officer/aircrew, you will be doing the CBAT not the AST)
NotSoVisualBasic
Rep:
?
(Original post by EchoBravo)
Hey, I have done both the AST and the CBAT so if you want some help give me a message and I can help you out! (If you are going for officer/aircrew, you will be doing the CBAT not the AST)
I was looking at the RAF pilot requirements on the RAF website and it says pass the AST, but I'm more woried about the CBAT since thats in 11 days. How was the CBAT? I don't know if I should be revising since it's to measure your aptitude.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Those applying for commissioned roles in an aptitude-based branch can be asked to do the AST; if there are a lot of failures at CBAT it's an easy step to add to filter people in or out before all the rigmarole of Cranwell.

That website is a good reflection of the type of questions you will get on the AST. Firstly, however, there's no telling how you will do on the day as people react differently to being under test conditions and the time pressure of having more questions to complete. Secondly, the scores required can change and are not published for applicants to see. Therefore it's no good people saying 'you need 15 out of 20 in Verbal Reasoning' for example. Finally, the figures used to assess you are computer-generated by the recruitment staff, so again it's meaningless for people to start quoting 'a VR of 4 is needed'.

Just keep practising and do your best on the day. You won't have time to think about the details. Good luck!
NotSoVisualBasic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Surnia)
Those applying for commissioned roles in an aptitude-based branch can be asked to do the AST; if there are a lot of failures at CBAT it's an easy step to add to filter people in or out before all the rigmarole of Cranwell.

That website is a good reflection of the type of questions you will get on the AST. Firstly, however, there's no telling how you will do on the day as people react differently to being under test conditions and the time pressure of having more questions to complete. Secondly, the scores required can change and are not published for applicants to see. Therefore it's no good people saying 'you need 15 out of 20 in Verbal Reasoning' for example. Finally, the figures used to assess you are computer-generated by the recruitment staff, so again it's meaningless for people to start quoting 'a VR of 4 is needed'.

Just keep practising and do your best on the day. You won't have time to think about the details. Good luck!
Thanks for the info, I'm not really sure how i should prepare for the CBAT.
NobleWizard
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you do a google search for RAF CBAT you should find a document that explains all the type of questions in the CBAT as well as how to prepare for it.

I hope that helps.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NotSoVisualBasic)
Thanks for the info, I'm not really sure how i should prepare for the CBAT.
(Original post by NobleWizard)
If you do a google search for RAF CBAT you should find a document that explains all the type of questions in the CBAT as well as how to prepare for it.
It's only in recent years that it's been called the CBAT, if you also search "RAF aptitude tests" you'll get good info. Some of it might be older, but it's the same stuff.

Do not pay for anything - there are no resources out the that are worth money / no resources that you can't find for free.
SFASPIRANT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did the AST last week - and believe me - the real thing is much, MUCH different. A lot harder.
randy8
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by EchoBravo)
Hi,
Would you please help me. I have done AST twice and failed for my trade ICT Technician.
My email address: radpterhotmail.com
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (187)
14.07%
I'm not sure (59)
4.44%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (390)
29.35%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.78%
I'm not a current university student (656)
49.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise