The Student Room Group

Should people with Down Syndrome reproduce?

On one side people think that they are free to do what they want but others say that they shouldn't as they're deliberately creating disabled people.

I think they should adopt instead but it's a hard question.
Original post by TheYearNiner
On one side people think that they are free to do what they want but others say that they shouldn't as they're deliberately creating disabled people.

Actually, that's rubbish, as the vast majority of cases of DS aren't hereditary. So even a baby with two DS parents only has a 1% chance of the condition.

However, questions need to be asked as to whether they would be capable of looking after a child - and just like social services would check on all parents who look like they're struggling, assessments would have to be made.

It should never be a "x group of people can/can't reproduce" situation. It depends on how severe their own condition is, and how much family support they have.

Some people with DS would be perfectly capable of looking after a child, and others with more severe physical aspects of the condition probably wouldn't even be able to physically cope with pregnancy and labour. There can never be one rule.
Correction: they aren't deliberately creating disabled children. Children born to a parent with Downs syndrome don't necessarily inherit the syndrome, it's just the risk is increased.
They should be able to have kids imo.
Reply 4
Original post by TheYearNiner

Should only 0.0000001% of men reproduce? (You need the women otherwise numbers will fall too low.)
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
So even a baby with two DS parents only has a 1% chance of the condition

Taking this evidence, and the following from the NHS:

Apparently any woman over:

20 years of age has a 1 in 1,500 chance

30 years of age has a 1 in 800 chance

35 years of age has 1 in 270 chance

40 years of age has a 1 in 100 chance

45 years of age has a 1 in 50 or greater chance

So, OP, therefore by this logic should we ban women over 40 from reproducing?
Reply 6
Yes.

As harsh as that sounds, for the good of society we should be discouraging undesirable traits. We also have a surplus of adoptable children.
Original post by Rakas21
Yes.

As harsh as that sounds, for the good of society we should be discouraging undesirable traits. We also have a surplus of adoptable children.

See thats what I mean
Original post by Rakas21
Yes.

Which specific traits do you consider undesirable and how should we discourage them?
Reply 9
Original post by rockrunride
Taking this evidence, and the following from the NHS:

Apparently any woman over:

20 years of age has a 1 in 1,500 chance

30 years of age has a 1 in 800 chance

35 years of age has 1 in 270 chance

40 years of age has a 1 in 100 chance

45 years of age has a 1 in 50 or greater chance

So, OP, therefore by this logic should we ban women over 40 from reproducing?

If these are the true statistics, I am surprised you don't see more people with Down's Syndrome.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Actually, that's rubbish, as the vast majority of cases of DS aren't hereditary. So even a baby with two DS parents only has a 1% chance of the condition.

That doesn't sound right, i think the 1% relates to the number of cases, people with down syndrome don't tend to have children.

"There's around a 1 in 2 chance of a child having Down's syndrome if one of his or her parents has the condition."

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/downs-syndrome/causes/
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by tsr54321
If these are the true statistics, I am surprised you don't see more people with Down's Syndrome.

Most are aborted.
Original post by the beer
Most are aborted.

This, unfortunately.

Though I am a libertarian and cannot vouch for anything but almost complete freedom of choice to abort, I do feel it is a thin veil for the practice of eugenics.
Original post by the beer
That doesn't sound right, i think the 1% relates to the number of cases, people with down syndrome don't tend to have children.

"There's around a 1 in 2 chance of a child having Down's syndrome if one of his or her parents has the condition."

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/downs-syndrome/causes/

That's confused me then, as I read different stats elsewhere. I stand corrected if mine were inaccurate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending