The Student Room Group

Why do Atheists get triggered when you say you believe in God?

Honest question. It is like they have to enforce their views on us. Quite sad....

Scroll to see replies

Why do religious people get triggered when you say there's no God?
C66FA676-90AA-40DB-B422-3A19A7D3F669.jpg.jpeg
you use the word "triggered" but I don't think you know what it means
Original post by DEͥSTͣIͫNY
Why do religious people get triggered when you say there's no God?

I don't really see that much. Most religious people know that if you are an atheist then you would of course tell them that. Religious people don't get why you must enforce your idea upon them.
Reply 5
Quite the contrary, religious people are usually the ones "enforcing" their views onto us. The majority of us do not care what you believe in, however many of you feel obliged to force your views onto us.
Original post by Dragon5555
I don't really see that much. Most religious people know that if you are an atheist then you would of course tell them that. Religious people don't get why you must enforce your idea upon them.

From the Atheists that I have seen, religious people are trying to enforce their views, and Atheists are just defending with logical points e.g. Richard Dawkins
P.S. I'm not religious, but I believe in God
Original post by Haunt
Quite the contrary, religious people are usually the ones "enforcing" their views onto us. The majority of us do not care what you believe in, however many of you feel obliged to force your views onto us.

What?!?!?! The way I see it some people want to believe in a God but Atheists are too intrusive to not let them be and must mock them for what they believe or enforce the idea that a religious person is wasting their time/life.
Reply 8
i don't know any atheists tbh. but maybe a few agnostics.

the agnostics i speak to don't get triggered, so maybe it's your approach? do these atheists think you're preaching to them? maybe don't do that.
Not all atheists, just the fanatical intolerants.

My father is a prime example of a militant atheist, people don't even need to say anything to set him off- the sight of anything connected to religion is guaranteed to set off his shouting about religion being an evil cult to rob/control the stupid.
My mother knew better than to try sneaking me out of the house on a sunday when he was around.

Honest question. It is like they have to enforce their views on us. Quite sad....
What?!?!?! The way I see it some people want to believe in a God but Atheists are too intrusive to not let them be and must mock them for what they believe or enforce the idea that a religious person is wasting their time/life.

Many religions have grown so much out of people enforcing their views on others. How do you think christianity and islam got so large?
Original post by HarrisonAF
Many religions have grown so much out of people enforcing their views on others. How do you think christianity and islam got so large?

So you think most people believe in God because they have been forced to? You don't think you need to mind your business a little lol.
Lmao. If you don't understand something it does not mean you give up on it altogether. Surely your parents or someone taught you that...

I don't want to get involved with a troll thread, but you do realise no one is going to take you seriously if you start with "The way I see it" and then insist on the truth of a sweeping statement to generalise entire groups of people you extrapolated after the fact.
So you think most people believe in God because they have been forced to? You don't think you need to mind your business a little lol.

Did your parent's enforce religion on you? i.e. Take you to a religious place when you were young, teach you about a specific religion etc?

No. Most people believe in a God because they are indoctrinated from birth. Most people never change between religions or sects, but many exposed to alternate narratives and cultures, can and do lapse from adherence and become agnostic if not adopting outright rejection.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
I wouldn't say I get "triggered", but ludicrous, completely unsubstantiated beliefs do tend to grate on me. People are free to believe whatever they want, but I'm also free to advocate atheism.

In the past, yes, it is the main aim of a religion: to spread. This thread seems like you’re just trying to stir some atheists/agnostics. I’ve seen religious people try to enforce their views upon others much more than atheists.

Also, referring back to your question (which was not what I was suggesting) a lot of families give their children no choice in their religious beliefs, and force them into whatever religion the parents follow.
I do think that most "internet atheists" may get annoyed when someone mentions God but most human being in the Western World probably won't bat an eye. I assume they're younger than you and most on The Student Room so we should be careful not to insult them but to be respectful even if they don't respect your own values. This can be applied to theists too.

We should be careful to distinguish between a group's online persona compared to their actual standpoint. It's safe to assume that most atheists just don't care about religion or have made a decision but are incredibly tolerable about it. This is just an example of a loud minority.
Original post by math42
I wouldn't say I get "triggered", but ludicrous, completely unsubstantiated beliefs do tend to grate on me. People are free to believe whatever they want, but I'm also free to advocate atheism.

Sure be an advocate of atheism but you should know how to mind your business. As you might dislike someone enforcing religious view upon you.... I am sure you understand why religious people may not want the same with your views.

Quick Reply

Latest