The Student Room Group

Law Books

I start my Law Degree in October and I have a list of books to read but some of them are so incredibly expensive. Does anyone have any advice on where to buy cheaper books? Also whilst I’m here anymore book recommendations would be appreciated, thanks!
I got loads of mine from eBay! What books have you been recommended? :smile:
Reply 2
I’ve been recommended “Letters to a Law Student” “Legal Skills” “The Oxford Dictionary of Law” The “Lawcards” collection “The rule of Law” “Concentrate Law Guides” & “The New Oxford Companion to Law” I know it seems a crazy amount but I’ve been looking up a few to buy but all the newer volume of each book is crazy expensive! But I suppose it’s just one of them things, I’ll probably just suck it up and pay it for the most important ones 😩😂
Original post by Amylouwill
I start my Law Degree in October and I have a list of books to read but some of them are so incredibly expensive. Does anyone have any advice on where to buy cheaper books? Also whilst I’m here anymore book recommendations would be appreciated, thanks!

When you start university, the book shop there usually offer a subsidised rate for the previous years books, usually 50% of the RRP when they first come out.

Book recommendations are quite hard for Criminal, Contract and Legal Methods as these are all case law - so any modern book would suffice.

And in relation to your 4th module Constitutional/Administrative law i would recommend looking at some key authors - anything like Dicey (Very old but fundamental author), Mark Elliot (Very modern Cambridge Lecturer), Wade (Sort of in the middle). If your looking for a little bit of light reading before you start your course i recommend reading the cabinet manual online.

Having just got my 1st year law results back - I can say that the books aided me very little when it came to me getting my 2:1. Textbooks are only an aid in law school, it isn't too important what you have, as long as your doing the set reading when you start - in the form of academic commentary.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Your local library might be able to order them in for you if you ask, or let you know of another library in the area which could get them in. You could also try contacting some of the current students on the course if you know their details, as they might be willing to sell you their first year books for a lower price.
Reply 5
Internet best place to get them cheaper
(edited 5 years ago)
All mine from Amazon. Some of them you can do with an edition out, but others you might be better off paying the 30 quid for the latest book.

I certainly know the pain buying an out of edition (by 1 edition!) and spending a lot of time trying to get my head around why one topic was really weird and at odds with my lectures to realise there had been CofA and SC judgments which changed the law. Saving that 20 quid isn't always the wisest thing.

Quick Reply

Latest