The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stuntmanhy
No, if you have your uni place already, there is no benefit in improving your A-Level grades.

The only reason I can think of is to receive a better scholarship?
You have attained your grades to get into med school. That's the only purpose they really serve. Redoing your biology is just extra work for you. Once you graduate, they look at your performance during your degree not your A levels.
The algorithm wasn’t necessarily correct but we now have way too many people having the grades. Is anyone else worried about how in effect this just shifts the competition from 18 to when you qualify as I am not sure how they will create all the extra jobs at every level of the training for the future which in many ways is quite concerning
Original post by DGeorge13
The algorithm wasn’t necessarily correct but we now have way too many people having the grades. Is anyone else worried about how in effect this just shifts the competition from 18 to when you qualify as I am not sure how they will create all the extra jobs at every level of the training for the future which in many ways is quite concerning

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about this as well. I guess for now we can only speculate what will happen. Let's see if med schools actually do take on extra students this year and if so, how many extra.

More doctors can only be a good thing, but like you say, there needs to be the jobs/training posts to accommodate them.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by stuntmanhy
Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about this as well. I guess for now we can only speculate what will happen. Let's see if med schools actually do take on extra students this year and if so, how many extra.

More doctors can only be a good thing, but like you say, there needs to be the jobs/training posts to accommodate them.

The speculating is the hardest as I kind of just wanted to move on but I guess now more waiting.

I totally agree we need more doctors but it has to be done completely properly otherwise I don’t really see how it benefits anyone
I recieved A*A*A grades and was rejected post interview by my medicine choices. I then went with my fifth choice to study optometry which required ABB. I’m unsure if I should just stick with optom or apply for medicine next year knowing that it will be very competitive. Help needed
Also when your applying for a job do they look at your a levels?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Han8765
I recieved A*A*A grades and was rejected post interview by my medicine choices. I then went with my fifth choice to study optometry which required ABB. I’m unsure if I should just stick with optom or apply for medicine next year knowing that it will be very competitive. Help needed
Also when your applying for a job do they look at your a levels?

If you want to do medicine, I would take the risk and reapply. You have the grades and know you can get to interview so it would just be a case of doing well enough in the admissions tests to make it to interview again and then stepping up your interview preparation, which I'm sure you can get lots of advice for on TSR.

You have to think will you regret choosing optometry and not reapplying to medicine, knowing you had the grades to get in? If you did go ahead with optometry and still wanted to study medicine afterward, you'd be looking at either GEM (probably far more competitive than what it will be for undergrad, even with raised competition due to the exams fiasco) OR you'd be looking at applying to standard undergrad medicine again and having to fund all your tuition yourself after finishing optometry. If your ambition is to be a doctor, I would stick with reapplying to medicine.
I potential agree about the fact we may have a more European system. Do you think any information will be provided in the short term or do you think it will take a while for the policy to be worked out
Original post by Keels25
If you want to do medicine, I would take the risk and reapply. You have the grades and know you can get to interview so it would just be a case of doing well enough in the admissions tests to make it to interview again and then stepping up your interview preparation, which I'm sure you can get lots of advice for on TSR.

You have to think will you regret choosing optometry and not reapplying to medicine, knowing you had the grades to get in? If you did go ahead with optometry and still wanted to study medicine afterward, you'd be looking at either GEM (probably far more competitive than what it will be for undergrad, even with raised competition due to the exams fiasco) OR you'd be looking at applying to standard undergrad medicine again and having to fund all your tuition yourself after finishing optometry. If your ambition is to be a doctor, I would stick with reapplying to medicine.

Thank you 😊
Hi

On results day my calculated grades were ABB which my meant I was rejected by my firm, KCL (which req. A*AA), and my offer was put on hold by my insurance Leicester.

After my results were revised to CAGs I now have AAA which is still not enough for KCL but meets the offer conditions for Leicester. I rang KCL and they told me they would not roll my offer over to next year even if I got the A* in the autumn sit.

I asked Leicester if I now had a place for 2020 or 2021 entry and they have said they will defer any applicant to 2021 who now meets the requirements as long as they firmed Leicester. (Which I didn’t).

So basically even though my grades meet the offer I’ve been denied a place not only this year but also for next year.

I don’t really know what to do now, it seems all I can do is retake the ucat and reapply with achieved grades.

I’d be grateful for any advice, is there any way I can convince Leicester to defer my offer for next year or is reapplying the only option?
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/action-agreed-to-support-students-into-preferred-universities

Looks like the they are increasing the number of med/dentistry and veterinary places
Thank you for breaking it down, yeah it does seem to be detrimental and have a knock on effect if they did increase student numbers, however as you’ve said, maybe they will fail more people to even it out further down the line
Original post by anonymous_mouse7
Thank you for breaking it down, yeah it does seem to be detrimental and have a knock on effect if they did increase student numbers, however as you’ve said, maybe they will fail more people to even it out further down the line

They can make uni exams harder to cut some ppl out of course, but also what are the factors which will limit med intake this year now the cap is gone?
Original post by Mayomikun123
What do you recommend I purchase for uni notes and things. I'm stuck between the 13 inch MacBook pro or getting the iPad pro (11 inch or 12.9 inch) and getting a keyboard extension?
I am leaning more towards the MacBook because of the course load but I have heard that the iPad is easier to use so I am not sure.

I got both, and haven’t looked back. The iPad Pro doubles up as a second screen and I use it for handwritten notes, but I still need my laptop and I personally think whilst they can act as replacements of each other, they have seperate things they’re better at and seperate uses for me
Original post by TheGraduateMedic
I got both, and haven’t looked back. The iPad Pro doubles up as a second screen and I use it for handwritten notes, but I still need my laptop and I personally think whilst they can act as replacements of each other, they have seperate things they’re better at and seperate uses for me

Thank you for the help! I actually got the macbook pro on Sunday already but I think I will have to wait and save up before I can afford to get the ipad too. Starting uni is so expensive! 😂
Original post by Mayomikun123
Thank you for the help! I actually got the macbook pro on Sunday already but I think I will have to wait and save up before I can afford to get the ipad too. Starting uni is so expensive! 😂

If it's just for note taking, there's somewhat diminishing returns with an iPad pro as it's 300 or 400 pounds more than an iPad air and only slightly more powerful.
Original post by Ibbz124
They can make uni exams harder to cut some ppl out of course, but also what are the factors which will limit med intake this year now the cap is gone?

Size of lecture theatres, number of anatomy stations, number of clinical skills labs but probably most importantly, number of hospital and GP placements available for clinical work. As well as accommodation....
i got AAB after CAGS i got an offer from manchester do u think its likely theyll let me in
manchesters already the biggest med school in the UK tho 397 places
coz ik they let someone in w AAB on results day
but im unsure
they said theyll let everyone know monday
otherwise i hve to sit the exams in october :frown:
Do you guys think dissections are still going to happen this year?
I have an offer for this year but im considering deffering because I can't do clinical placements this year. But I am worried thag the situation with covid might be the same next year and I will end up wasting a year. I was also thinking of doing retakes cuz my firm choice guaranteed me an offer as long as I got the grades in the retakes. I have currently been accepted into my insurance choice. I also haven't learnt to drive yet I don't know what to do

Latest

Trending

Trending