The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Wow, all your results are bloody high!! I'm an intercalating medical student (5th year), I'm happy to try to give advice if it'd help:smile:
Def have questions! Where you studying?
Original post by Polkadot2018
A*A*A*
777999A*A*A*A*
UCAT 757 SJT2
Uni’s - Still unsure! Prob Newcastle, Bristol, Liverpool and Leeds or Nottingham. Still to do BMAT of course so need to see how that goes.

That’s an incredible ucat score!! Good luck with your application
Disappointed with SJT tbh. Was doing Ok in mocks with that so had hoped to get 1. So much to consider when deciding where to apply! My GCSE’s not bad at all but I’ve decided against applying to Birmingham because of them, and even possibly Nottingham and Leeds. Basically any GCSE heavy uni’s I’ve been advised against applying to. Fortunately my UCAT score puts me in good position for other medical schools but I need to factor in my less than ideal SJT score too now and avoid ones which use it as an MMI station. There’s always something! Good luck with your applications too!
Reply 404
Def have questions! Where you studying?

University of Liverpool Med School, currently at Homerton College, University of Cambridge for MPhil Therapeutic Sciences (my intercalation).
Disappointed with SJT tbh. Was doing Ok in mocks with that so had hoped to get 1. So much to consider when deciding where to apply! My GCSE’s not bad at all but I’ve decided against applying to Birmingham because of them, and even possibly Nottingham and Leeds. Basically any GCSE heavy uni’s I’ve been advised against applying to. Fortunately my UCAT score puts me in good position for other medical schools but I need to factor in my less than ideal SJT score too now and avoid ones which use it as an MMI station. There’s always something! Good luck with your applications too!

Your gcses are amazing tho! I put my stats into the Birmingham offer calculator and it said likely interview so I’m sure you could get an interview there too. Although they consider sjt as part of the mmi interview. You should be able to get a Bristol interview and I think last years cut off was 690. Although Leicester do 50:50 ucat / gcses, you would still have a high chance of getting an interview and I don’t think they consider sjt in interviews (although I’ll need to double check this)
Bio, Chem, Maths, Further Maths, EPQ A*A*A*A
GCSE 11 9s
UCAT on 19th August
Doing normal BMAT
Thinking Cambridge, Birmingham, Exeter, Leeds
Original post by egibbs_l13
GCSE 11 9s
UCAT on 19th August
Doing normal BMAT

Good luck with the ucat!!

Have you tried Birmingham's offer calculator? You will get a full 4 in UKCAT based on last year's deciles. Can you list your grades and subjects for GCSE and I can try working your score out of 10. Around 8.1, for a standard non-contextual candidate, should get you an interview.
Reply 409
Original post by egibbs_l13
GCSE 11 9s
UCAT on 19th August
Doing normal BMAT

Amazing! Hope the interviews go well, get lots of difficult practice, that'll be the final hurdle!
Original post by Chickenhead11
Good luck with the ucat!!

Thanks, very stressed right now haha UCAT is definitely not my strong point!!
A*’s and 9’s in physics, chemistry, biology, maths, history, geography and R.S, and 7’s in German, English Lang and English Lit. Birmingham count both English GCSE’s in their scoring so I luck out there. Applying to Birmingham therefore a risk for my stats compared to applying for UCAT heavy uni’s.
A*’s and 9’s in physics, chemistry, biology, maths, history, geography and R.S, and 7’s in German, English Lang and English Lit. Birmingham count both English GCSE’s in their scoring so I luck out there. Applying to Birmingham therefore a risk for my stats compared to applying for UCAT heavy uni’s.

Based on that you should score 20/24, which will be scaled down to 5. And your UCAT based on last years deciles will give you 4/4.

That's an exellent 9/10 - pretty much guaranteed interview as far as I can see. I understand last year's cut-off was around 8.1. Link to how they work it out below unless they have changed it recently.

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/medical-school/applying-to-medicine/selection-for-interview.aspx
(edited 4 years ago)
How did you prep for ur UCAT? Ur score is amazing well done!
Original post by HCB97
Wow, all your results are bloody high!! I'm an intercalating medical student (5th year), I'm happy to try to give advice if it'd help:smile:

Hi,
Any advice you would like to give for international students regarding the UCAT? I am currently doing Biomedical science and would like to get into medicine after this. I've started my prep for the UCAT. So any advice you can give me? :smile:

Thanks in advance
Reply 415
Original post by vinitha kumaran
Hi,
Any advice you would like to give for international students regarding the UCAT? I am currently doing Biomedical science and would like to get into medicine after this. I've started my prep for the UCAT. So any advice you can give me? :smile:

Thanks in advance

If you're doing biomed then you should definitely apply for graduate entry medicine rather than undergrad (shorter course and funding is much easier). So the GAMSAT will be the biggest test, but UCAT will probably need to be done too -- it's changed a lot in the 6 years since I sat it, so I'm not the best person to ask for specific advice. The other people on this chat who have recently sat the UCAT and done well would be best to give advice:smile:
There is a ucat thread with plenty of tips on, although some quick tips are to:
- do plenty of practise. this Is especially important for AR and QR
- if a question takes a long time to do guess, flag and move on
- make sure you’ve done all the ucat official resources questions as although they don’t represent the difficulty of the test, they are quite representative of the type of questions you would get
Hello everyone,

really need advice here if you don't mind me asking!

Just done my UCAT ( bit disappointed as I scored lower than the mock tests). These are the scores:
VR 540 DM 570 QR 670 AR 720 SJ band 1 TOT 2500.

Planning to apply to graduate medicine entry but no idea which uni yet, have you got any advice?

Also, is that score likely to get me an interview or shall I just try next year again?

Many thanks
Original post by HCB97
If you're doing biomed then you should definitely apply for graduate entry medicine rather than undergrad (shorter course and funding is much easier). So the GAMSAT will be the biggest test, but UCAT will probably need to be done too -- it's changed a lot in the 6 years since I sat it, so I'm not the best person to ask for specific advice. The other people on this chat who have recently sat the UCAT and done well would be best to give advice:smile:

Hi,
Thank you very much for your reply... Yes, that's what I'm having in mind as well..the graduate entry medicine. I'm aiming for Warwick uni, and I read in the website that they require only UCAT score and no other. So right now.. I'm focussing only on UCAT and my biomedical degree.
Thank you very much your reply:smile:
Anyone applying to Cambridge for Medicine? We should have a separate thread...

Latest

Trending

Trending