The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by TCL
Cut off was 2490 last year, 2590 year before. So yes, it looks good for you as scores looking like 2018 this year.

Hi, any insights into why the cut off for St George went down?
Original post by Mom2
Hi, any insights into why the cut off for St George went down?

New medical schools meaning far more places and drop in UKCAT deciles last year. It will probably go up a bit this year as people will apply with UCATs just a bit above this, whereas previously <635 would put people off. A cut off is the score of the lowest person with an interview, even if they were the only one at that score and everybody else was 30 points higher! (not that I think this is likely to have happened, but I suspect the UKCAT scores had a fairly heavy Rt skew to them)
Reply 982
Hi, thanks so much. St George released the entire distribution of interviewees by UCAT score, via and FOI, indicating who was succesful or not. There were quite a few people at 635. I have read that the entry requirement was A*AA last year, could that be true and an explanation for why they had a hard time filling spaces?
Hi, are the ucat percentiles out this morning? Should I be looking for 2020, there appears to be a calculator for 2019 is that last years? @GANFYD@Mom2
Thanks
Reply 984
Original post by mamamedic2020
Hi, are the ucat percentiles out this morning? Should I be looking for 2020, there appears to be a calculator for 2019 is that last years? @GANFYD@Mom2
Thanks

Yes there should be a calculator. Website says stats will be released by 5pm today
Hey guys!
So a bit of a long shot but do you think a daily commute from Hull to either Manchester or Nottingham is achievable?
I can only afford to stay living locally in Hull having bought a house here with the boyf.

Hoping to apply to HYMS, Sheff, Notts, Manchester.
Or should I just keep it simple and only apply to HYMS/Sheff which I know are realistic commutes?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by covalicious
Hey guys!
So a bit of a long shot but do you think a daily commute from Hull to either Manchester or Nottingham is achievable?
I can only afford to stay living locally in Hull having bought a house here with the boyf.

Hoping to apply to HYMS, Sheff, Notts, Manchester.
Or should I just keep it simple and only apply to HYMS/Sheff which I know are realistic commutes?

They are both 2 hour plus commutes from Hull on a good day so not my idea of fun.

Getting into Manchester in a morning is a nightmare from anywhere. Also the M62 in winter can be a slow journey.
Hi, one final question. My son got 2610 UCAT and is in the 70th centile. Is Sheffield too risky? Was their cut off 2630 last year? @GANFYD@Mom2

Thanks
Hi, one final question. My son got 2610 UCAT and is in the 70th centile. Is Sheffield too risky? Was their cut off 2630 last year? @GANFYD@Mom2

Thanks

i'd check their past cut offs. Last year it was 2630 and the years before I don't really remember but it's been an average of 660-670! They say their cut off for interview usually lies between the 70th to 73rd percentile so there could be a chance!
Deciles are out, they seem a bit lower. Will that have any effect at all or will the requirements be similar to last year’s?
Original post by Anna191817
Deciles are out, they seem a bit lower. Will that have any effect at all or will the requirements be similar to last year’s?

The decile scores often remain fairly stable unless there are huge swings or unis change policy
Reply 992

Thanks

Hi, I would not count it as a safe school, but as one in a package with 2 other safe schools I would include it if it is the school your son wants. It's really hard finding schools to apply around that UCAT, even though it is a good UCAT. We struggled forever. What schools are you considering?
Original post by Mom2
Hi, I would not count it as a safe school, but as one in a package with 2 other safe schools I would include it if it is the school your son wants. It's really hard finding schools to apply around that UCAT, even though it is a good UCAT. We struggled forever. What schools are you considering?

We are going for QUB, Manchester, St Andrews and (Sheffield, Southampton or UEA). My son is very much guided by uni satisfaction scores so he waivering ALOT 🙄! He got a band 1 but I don’t think that matters for where is is interested in? What about you, where are you applying? Thanks
We are going for QUB, Manchester, St Andrews and (Sheffield, Southampton or UEA). My son is very much guided by uni satisfaction scores so he waivering ALOT 🙄! He got a band 1 but I don’t think that matters for where is is interested in? What about you, where are you applying? Thanks

Uea have a virtual mmi station as do Sheffield but is only a couple of points.
Reply 995

We decided not to risk St Andrews, with the UCAT of 2630 PLUS being band 3. We are going for Aberdeen, Dundee, Cardiff and Leeds. Cardiff is a risk for us as they may want A* for GCSE equivalent and we are not sure how they will rate As from an American school. Aberdeen and Dundee are also risky.

I think band 1 helps for some unis like Edinburgh and on the MMIs of St Andrews.

I found a great alternate source of info on student satisfaction, UNISTATS. Lots of detail, in case you have not seen it, and some times gives a different picture from the Guardian or University guide.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Mom2
We decided not to risk St Andrews, with the UCAT of 2630 PLUS being band 3. We are going for Aberdeen, Dundee, Cardiff and Leeds. Cardiff is a risk for us as they may want A* for GCSE equivalent and we are not sure how they will rate As from an American school. Aberdeen and Dundee are also risky.

I think band 1 helps for some unis like Edinburgh and on the MMIs of St Andrews.

Are you not worried about the low RUK places for Aberdeen and Dundee? My son is changing his mind every 2 minutes! I think Sheffield is too risky but he’s swayed by their high student satisfaction stats. I think he will probably go for UEA which is difficult to get to from Ireland as there is no direct route.
Are you not worried about the low RUK places for Aberdeen and Dundee? My son is changing his mind every 2 minutes! I think Sheffield is too risky but he’s swayed by their high student satisfaction stats. I think he will probably go for UEA which is difficult to get to from Ireland as there is no direct route.

UEA is hard to get to from where I live too even though I’m on a train near London. I don’t think it matters if there aren’t any problems though - does he not want to apply to QUB? as my choices are - London- 10 stops on the underground by myself - really long train
Or - Brighton- three bridges - Cambridge- Norwich

As someone that finds London terrifying I wonder which way I’d pick...
Original post by DGeorge13
UEA is hard to get to from where I live too even though I’m on a train near London. I don’t think it matters if there aren’t any problems though - does he not want to apply to QUB? as my choices are - London- 10 stops on the underground by myself - really long train
Or - Brighton- three bridges - Cambridge- Norwich

As someone that finds London terrifying I wonder which way I’d pick...

QUB and Manchester are definite choices. St Andrews is a bit risky and I think he is choosing between UEA or Southampton. Liverpool is very accessible and would be a great choice but he is put off by their student satisfaction scores.
Reply 999

My daughter is grouped with the Scottish applicants, being non-UK EU. Else I would not risk it. As it is, non-UK EU has only about half the chance of Scottish, based on offer rates. Those are our big risk ones.

I understand your son, it's really hard to decide. Sounds like he doesn't care whether the course is integrated or PBL? I have a friend whose daughter went to UEA and was happy. UNISTATS makes it easy to compare on student satisfaction.

Latest

Trending

Trending