The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by halsx11
Woah! So your kinda a fully qualified doc? So how are the years different from eachother? Do you get paid for working in the hospital as workexperience like you did the last 2 years?

Nearly 😂 first 2 years are pre-clinical so it’s mostly more in depth science learning about body systems, with a smattering of communications skills, learning examinations, and spending half a day a week in hospital/GP practicing talking to patients. Then 3 years of clinical where you’re spending 7 weeks in different specialities and the majority of that in on the wards/in theatre/clinics where you’re learning by being there and practicing practical skills like taking blood. The exact amount of time and how it’s structured will depend on the medical school, so it’s important to look at how places do things differently in order to choose what suits you best. You don’t get paid because you’re not doing a job
Oh okay i just wanted to see how it worked out cuz others do it differently!
Original post by ax12
Nearly 😂 first 2 years are pre-clinical so it’s mostly more in depth science learning about body systems, with a smattering of communications skills, learning examinations, and spending half a day a week in hospital/GP practicing talking to patients. Then 3 years of clinical where you’re spending 7 weeks in different specialities and the majority of that in on the wards/in theatre/clinics where you’re learning by being there and practicing practical skills like taking blood. The exact amount of time and how it’s structured will depend on the medical school, so it’s important to look at how places do things differently in order to choose what suits you best. You don’t get paid because you’re not doing a job

Oh okay so it's literally learning from med-school and applying it to real life situations in hospitals. Sounds cool! But when your qualified and get a job as a junior doc you get the money so don't worry all this work/ learning will be paid off at the end! And you've not got long left! Your going to be graduating soon then?!
Reply 103
Original post by halsx11
Oh okay so it's literally learning from med-school and applying it to real life situations in hospitals. Sounds cool! But when your qualified and get a job as a junior doc you get the money so don't worry all this work/ learning will be paid off at the end! And you've not got long left! Your going to be graduating soon then?!

Yeah exactly, I learn far better in hospital so it’s been great for me. I graduate in July then everyone starts their first F1 job in August
Original post by ax12
Yeah exactly, I learn far better in hospital so it’s been great for me. I graduate in July then everyone starts their first F1 job in August

That's great bet your so glad! When i graduate i'm literally going to make it BIG that's what i would do call all your friends and relatives over and just Chill out until ur first F1 job! You better tell me all about it cuz i'll be starting my A-Levels Next September! Lol i'm so happy for you eventhough you've put all the hard work in but that's going to be me in a few years time as well! :smile:
I'm back here.... again... loads of good info in various threads.

I'm wanting to do Medicine in 2020, preferably in Newcastle or Sunderland.
Unlike many, I'm 26 and haven't been to uni before, so I'm classed as a mature student.

I've been in contact with the various unis and were discussing if I need to gain more A levels, specifically Biology and Chemistry (as I did neither at college) so waiting on an update about that.
Either way, I'm currently self teaching both through books and online information, plus my local college (the one I attended) gave me access to their online student portal to get all the guides and teacher inputs.
If I'm stuck on certain parts, I'll get a tutor for a bit.

I'm currently a Medical Administrator supporting all 19 community services, 3 local hospitals and out of area hospitals too. Alongside that role, I also work in Bed Bureau, admitting patients into hospital and arranging ambulances.
That's what laid a strong foundation down to drive me into want to study Medicine.
Then within the last few months I had a medical emergency. Saw my GP within 40mins of calling the GP surgery and he did an emergency ambulance admission with a diagnosis of sepsis with the likely cause as an ear infection as it was pouring with blood (temp 40.2 and heart rate 148).
I got to hospital and within 15 minutes I was on IV meds... the response was amazing and even when I was in so much pain and really light headed, I still remember saying to a friend "this is why I want to work in Medicine".
(edited 5 years ago)
Not really questions as such. I'm speaking with members of faculty in several universities as being class as a mature student = different entry requirements and also different possibilities. But because I currently work for the NHS and know that I absolutely want to study medicine as aposed to another medical course for example Health Assistants courses, it helps to strengthen my application.

I'm confident of 2 A' s in the A levels Biology and Chemistry as I've sat 2 tests x3 exams in each and got solid B's, with the knowledge I have at present, without studying.
But that's why I'm talking to faculty too.

UKCAT will be taken this year.

Yeah either the 5yr Medicine course or 6yr Foundation / Access to Medicine course. That's what I'm planning for but right now, I'm getting guidance from faculty and still studying A level Biology and Chemistry.

Either it pays off and I get on the Medicine course (5 or 6 yr) or I still work the job I work now and also train to be a Phlebotomist as I've been asked to do this by the hospital lead just a few days ago.
Hi I’d like some advice on apply to medicine x
Original post by SaarahSakur
Hi I’d like some advice on apply to medicine x

can you be a bit specific?
Hi yeh sorry, it’s about what makes you stand out from the rest of the applications, like what kind of volunteering and also tips how to ace the interview and UCAT
Original post by SaarahSakur
Hi yeh sorry, it’s about what makes you stand out from the rest of the applications, like what kind of volunteering and also tips how to ace the interview and UCAT

have you looked at themedicportal?
Original post by Groovy Labtec
Not really questions as such. I'm speaking with members of faculty in several universities as being class as a mature student = different entry requirements and also different possibilities. But because I currently work for the NHS and know that I absolutely want to study medicine as aposed to another medical course for example Health Assistants courses, it helps to strengthen my application.

I'm confident of 2 A' s in the A levels Biology and Chemistry as I've sat 2 tests x3 exams in each and got solid B's, with the knowledge I have at present, without studying.
But that's why I'm talking to faculty too.

UKCAT will be taken this year.

Yeah either the 5yr Medicine course or 6yr Foundation / Access to Medicine course. That's what I'm planning for but right now, I'm getting guidance from faculty and still studying A level Biology and Chemistry.

Either it pays off and I get on the Medicine course (5 or 6 yr) or I still work the job I work now and also train to be a Phlebotomist as I've been asked to do this by the hospital lead just a few days ago.

Have you considered an Access to Medicine course? I'm a mature student as well and that's the route I'll be taking. From what I understand A-levels will open up a lot more universities to you but it's quite difficult and expensive to take science a-levels as a mature student (not at all impossible though).
Hello everyone, for some reason TSR declined my previous reply containing a link to a Government and Parliament petition so I am asking you to please Google

"Petition: Allow second-degree medical students access to a SLC tuition fee loan."

and sign the petition, please, for all the graduate students wanting to study medicine as a second UG degree (and for all of the unlucky ones who did not get a place in a graduate programme), who are not entitled to a tuition fee loan and that may not be able to fulfil their dreams if they are not wealthy enough to cover tuition fee costs.

Thank you so much in advance and best of luck with your application :heart:
Original post by stuntmanhy
Have you considered an Access to Medicine course? I'm a mature student as well and that's the route I'll be taking. From what I understand A-levels will open up a lot more universities to you but it's quite difficult and expensive to take science a-levels as a mature student (not at all impossible though).

Yeah I'm in discussion with faculty in various universities about Foundation / Access to Medicine courses.
It's definitely an option for me so the faculty are giving me advise on how to better my application.

I'm working right now and I don't have an awful lot of expenses so the course fees are fine for me, along with some possible tutoring. The college's are also quite helpful in terms of online student portal information and even emailing exam boards, often they give really good advise in terms of text books and material.

I didn't want to rush into uni as soon as I left college so I worked and gained experiences and then had enough time to be 100% clear in what I want to do as a career.
Original post by Groovy Labtec
Yeah I'm in discussion with faculty in various universities about Foundation / Access to Medicine courses.
It's definitely an option for me so the faculty are giving me advise on how to better my application.

I'm working right now and I don't have an awful lot of expenses so the course fees are fine for me, along with some possible tutoring. The college's are also quite helpful in terms of online student portal information and even emailing exam boards, often they give really good advise in terms of text books and material.

I didn't want to rush into uni as soon as I left college so I worked and gained experiences and then had enough time to be 100% clear in what I want to do as a career.

Fair enough! I think if A-levels are a viable option for you then that could be the way to go. Like I said, it should open up your university options. Pretty sure Sunderland don't accept the access course.
Original post by stuntmanhy
Fair enough! I think if A-levels are a viable option for you then that could be the way to go. Like I said, it should open up your university options. Pretty sure Sunderland don't accept the access course.

It's a puzzle because several Doctors I work with, told me they recently attended a lecture in North Tees hospital, the lecturer was from Sunderland uni and they were talking about their unis Foundation Medicine course and how it needs to be more readily available in the North East .... so I'm waiting on a response from Sunderland unis faculty of Medicine about that and the Dr's I know, have emailed the lecturer.

I'll post an update when I know
Hey, does anyone know about entry into medicine for disabled students? I’m very worried that my disability may limit me being able to study medicine now.
Original post by Icykitten
Hey, does anyone know about entry into medicine for disabled students? I’m very worried that my disability may limit me being able to study medicine now.

Oh I think it will be the same idk but there are some graduates here in medicine that are trained so they know better than me!
Original post by halsx11
Oh I think it will be the same idk but there are some graduates here in medicine that are trained so they know better than me!

I meant in terms of support offered or would you recommend it since it’s a tough course and I’m not physically able in some aspects, so I was just wondering if I should give up on the hope of studying medicine
Original post by Icykitten

If you don’t mind me asking; what disability do you have?

Latest

Trending

Trending