The Student Room Group

Any UCL students here who have gone through a remark?

I just had one of my exams remarked and it came out as a pass (last time it was a fail). The question I have is, how long does it take to update the grade on Portico and and how long does it take to get withdrawn from the resit exam which is in August/September?
Reply 1
Any UCL students out there?
Reply 2
Still no update on my Portico.
Hi,

I am in the same uni in the same situation. As far as I'm aware, it must first go to the examination board for remark acceptance before any grades are modified on portico, though I'm not entirely sure this is the case for all faculties
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
it must first go to the examination board for remark acceptance before any grades are modified on portico

How long would this take do you think? When did you get your remark done? How long have you been waiting for it to be updated on Portico?
How long would this take do you think? When did you get your remark done? How long have you been waiting for it to be updated on Portico?

It's still unconfirmed for me. It's a bit tricky because if it is a remark you mean (and not simply a retake), UCL's regulations usually are against this.

If you appeal you should hear back within 7 days, but it has been past this for me and it is not exactly an appeal. How long was the time between your result and remark may I ask?
Reply 6
UCL's regulations usually are against this.

Why? I got a remark for it because a question (worth a huge chunk of the marks) was missed out by the marker. In fact, my mark almost doubled after the remark. UCL should consider this.
How long was the time between your result and remark may I ask?

Results came out on 6th July (as you may know), remark completed on 12th July. That's only 6 days.
Why? I got a remark for it because a question (worth a huge chunk of the marks) was missed out by the marker. In fact, my mark almost doubled after the remark. UCL should consider this.

Results came out on 6th July (as you may know), remark completed on 12th July. That's only 6 days.

Unless for a legitimate reason as stated above. Did you receive informal or formal confirmation of remark? It's probably best having a supporting statement in draft given the worst case scenario you do not hear back.

Initial request for an Appeal 7. A student wishing to appeal must submit a request in writing, providing full name, programme and year of study, student number, details of the decision for which an appeal is being requested and the grounds for the request. The request should reach the Academic Registrar within 28 calendar days of the notification of the result to the student.

All the best
Reply 8
Unless for a legitimate reason as stated above. Did you receive informal or formal confirmation of remark? It's probably best having a supporting statement in draft given the worst case scenario you do not hear back.

Initial request for an Appeal 7. A student wishing to appeal must submit a request in writing, providing full name, programme and year of study, student number, details of the decision for which an appeal is being requested and the grounds for the request. The request should reach the Academic Registrar within 28 calendar days of the notification of the result to the student.

All the best

I didn't go through that procedure for remark. I skipped all of that and directly emailed an important member of the department. He remarked it and this is what he said:
I wil request for the grade to be updated on Portico and your name to be withdrawn for the resit exam. I think that is an informal confirmation of the remark.
I didn't go through that procedure for remark. I skipped all of that and directly emailed an important member of the department. He remarked it and this is what he said:
I think that is an informal confirmation of the remark.

Then what are you worried about, it should be noted when you get your progression results, and work harder, your lucky enough to be at UCL some peoples dream. Make it count.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Then what are you worried about, it should be noted when you get your progression results, and work harder, your lucky enough to be at UCL some peoples dream. Make it count.

I already have my progression results. What I'm worried about is the time it's taking. The board of examiners haven't notified me (through email) on this.
I already have my progression results. What I'm worried about is the time it's taking. The board of examiners haven't notified me (through email) on this.

They wouldn't they only meet once. The rest will be done by departments and notifications by student services. You think the entire board of examiners is going to meet over a resit? Of one student lmao.
Checked my Portico today, they have withdrawn me from the resit but my old grade (F) is still up.
x

Have you tried calling Student Records? My grade updated on Portico but only on the 'Results and awards' tab. On the 'Module Registration' tab it has 0.5 a credit missing on the 'Total number of credits gained to date' row. I am planning to call them to fix this.
My grade has been updated properly but the timetable for the resit is still displayed on Portico for some reason. The timetable automatic?
This is now changed to Condoned Pass, I don't think it is final until the Board of Examiners finalise all grades.
This is now changed to Condoned Pass, I don't think it is final until the Board of Examiners finalise all grades.

You would have been better off doing it the way I did: contact the corresponding department for the exam you want to remark, a professor or staff member will remark it and if the mark changes they send the request to Student Records (instead of you) to update the grade on Portico and Examinations withdraw you from the LSA resit.
You would have been better off doing it the way I did: contact the corresponding department for the exam you want to remark, a professor or staff member will remark it and if the mark changes they send the request to Student Records (instead of you) to update the grade on Portico and Examinations withdraw you from the LSA resit.

That is what happened, I did not go through a formal process, I had the examiner remark it straight away.

Quick Reply

Latest