Physics exams (University) Watch

Jozefina
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi, I am a physics student at Lancaster Uni. I was shocked when I found out that we have almost all exams (11) in 2 weeks period and I want to know if it is like that in other unis in UK. Basically, we had 4 exams in January (we had lectures and exams on the same day, also 2 exams in one day) and we had 11 exams immediately after the summer term finished - no time for revision. Most of those exams were separate, but the last 5 of them were in one day. I think if the exams were separated and we had them after each term it would have been much better. Could you tell me if the situation with the physics exams is the same in all unis in the UK or it's just Lancaster? Thanks
chocochan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Jozefina)
Hi, I am a physics student at Lancaster Uni. I was shocked when I found out that we have almost all exams (11) in 2 weeks period and I want to know if it is like that in other unis in UK. Basically, we had 4 exams in January (we had lectures and exams on the same day, also 2 exams in one day) and we had 11 exams immediately after the summer term finished - no time for revision. Most of those exams were separate, but the last 5 of them were in one day. I think if the exams were separated and we had them after each term it would have been much better. Could you tell me if the situation with the physics exams is the same in all unis in the UK or it's just Lancaster? Thanks
5 in a day? :gasp:
At Southampton I had 4 in January and 4 in May, those were in dedicated exam periods in which the whole uni had exams, and there were no classes at all. The 4 exams were spread over 2 weeks each time. How on earth did they possibly fit 5 exams in a day?
Jozefina
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by chocochan)
5 in a day? :gasp:
At Southampton I had 4 in January and 4 in May, those were in dedicated exam periods in which the whole uni had exams, and there were no classes at all. The 4 exams were spread over 2 weeks each time. How on earth did they possibly fit 5 exams in a day?
I don't know whose idea was that. Its really difficult to pass them as you don't have time to study. Can I ask you how many modules did you have through the academic year? Cuz if you had 4 exams in May I guess some of the modules were combined for the exams. We had 15 modules as a whole.
Ljg2015
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
That's mad! I had two in January (Newtonian & Relativistic Mechanics (3hrs) and Maths I Part I (1.5hrs) which was week 1 of term, no other lectures apart from an introductory thing to spring term. Then in May I had four (Quantum and Thermal Physics (3hrs), Electromagntism, Waves and Optics (3hrs), Maths 1 Part 2 (1.5hrs) and Astronomy (1.5hrs)) I go to York btw
Jozefina
Rep:
?
Do you study optics, waves, circuits?
Jozefina
Rep:
?
Oh, yes you said you study optics
chocochan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I don't know whose idea was that. Its really difficult to pass them as you don't have time to study. Can I ask you how many modules did you have through the academic year? Cuz if you had 4 exams in May I guess some of the modules were combined for the exams. We had 15 modules as a whole.
Our modules were all separated into semester 1 and semester 2 modules and we had 5 in each (sem 1: maths 1a, electricity and magnetism, motion and relativity, labs 1a, and programming, sem 2: maths 1b, astro, labs 1b, energy and matter, and waves light and quanta)
so 10 modules in total.
Ljg2015
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Do you study optics, waves, circuits?
Yeah we do optics and waves. Circuits are done half in labs and half in electromagnetism. Although the circuits section of EM is fairly small compared to the rest of the module we do Kirchoffs Laws and the usual DC stuff, capacitance, inductance, LC circuits and LCR circuits.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (70)
15.91%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (82)
18.64%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
13.86%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (48)
10.91%
How can I be the best version of myself? (135)
30.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed