The Student Room Group

if you drive for a job, is it hard to not crash for i dunno, at least 5 years?

i crashed a work vehicle within in a week :frown:
Reply 1
Depends on driver experience and the routes. If you're constantly going to unfamiliar places chances are it'll probably happen at some point. Driver skill and experience will mitigate this greatly. My dad travels up and down the country as part of his job, covering 100k+ miles in 2 years. The car is a long estate, so not the easiest to park but the car has zero kerbing on the wheels, and perhaps one or two very minor scrapes that may or may not have even been his fault. He's been doing this for over 5 years now without issues to his car but some of his colleagues have crashed their brand new company cars within a week of getting it (that guy was genuinely an unskilled driver).

Personally, I have the mentality of not even marking a single wheel let alone letting anything else major happen. Eventually you learn to anticipate, avoid tricky situations altogether and generally just lower the risk in everything you do. If you struggle with parking, then take some time to brush up on your skills and spacial awareness. If you're crashing at speed, then work on your anticipatory driving.
Original post by NX172
Depends on driver experience and the routes. If you're constantly going to unfamiliar places chances are it'll probably happen at some point. Driver skill and experience will mitigate this greatly. My dad travels up and down the country as part of his job, covering 100k+ miles in 2 years. The car is a long estate, so not the easiest to park but the car has zero kerbing on the wheels, and perhaps one or two very minor scrapes that may or may not have even been his fault. He's been doing this for over 5 years now without issues to his car but some of his colleagues have crashed their brand new company cars within a week of getting it (that guy was genuinely an unskilled driver).

Personally, I have the mentality of not even marking a single wheel let alone letting anything else major happen. Eventually you learn to anticipate, avoid tricky situations altogether and generally just lower the risk in everything you do. If you struggle with parking, then take some time to brush up on your skills and spacial awareness. If you're crashing at speed, then work on your anticipatory driving.
the vehicle i was driving had a dashcam screen over the rear screen mirror and I didn't know I could adjust it, so it was in the wrong position and I couldn't see very well out of it anyway, then I didn't check the side mirror because I didn't realise there was a car behind. driver side was totalled. job didn't last long lol.
One of the last cohort of apprentices chose Airport Logistics as his full time area. 2nd week he dropped a pallet from the back of his tug because he didn't put the stops up and broke really hard. Not so much a crash but it happened because of negligence (he got sacked the following week for failing a mandatory crash D&D) - as long as you pay attention you won't crash.
Hard to say. But the fact of the matter is that the more time you spend on the road, the more likely you are to be involved in an accident. I mean, if you're not on the road, you're going to have a hard time getting involved in a car accident.
Reply 5
I drive about 1200 miles a week with my work, i havent had a crash to date, ive been driving for over 10 years
Reply 6
It's all about remaining consciously competent. I recommend looking it up, it's a good L&D piece to learn about.
I suspect it really comes down to whether someone is naturally clumsy or doesn't really concentrate.

Some folk break and lose their phones every few weeks, lose their wallet, keys ect......some folk just don't do that sort of stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest