The Student Room Group

What are your top interview tips?

Interviews are certainly a challenging prospect for a lot of us, but one that with practise can become easier. Practise, and making use of tips and advice, that is.

So what are your top interview tips? And is there any commonly shared advice that you disagree with?

Scroll to see replies

Appear confident, be early and prepared, make sure you have any documents you need/think you will need, look smart and neat, not too much make-up.

Be friendly and interested. Laugh, smile, extend the conversation so it shows you’re enthusiastic and it will make you seem more confident :smile:
Now tips to remember when you go for interview are :-1) Be prepared
Research the company thoroughly prior to the job interview. we may have said this before. But we make no apologies because this is the single most important piece of advice we can give you.Read through the company website to gain a thorough understanding of what it does, its values, clients or audience and any technologies it usesYou should also Google the company and read any press releases, forums or internet chatter.Interview questions
All this prep work will go a long way to helping you prepare answers to questions you might be asked during the interview. As well as swotting up on the standard questions,You also need to come up with relevant questions to ask the interviewer about the company and your role. You may well be able to come up with questions based on the interview content itself, but it’s worthwhile having a few stock questions prepared just to ensure you're not floundering like a beached whale when the tables are turned.3)Dress the partWhile many companies will still expect you to turn up in a suit and tie, or formal office wear, this may not always be the case particularly if you are interviewing for a website or new media company. And turning up overly smart for an interview at the latest dotcom could actually work against you.Speak to your recruitment consultant or the HR department of the company that’s interviewing you about the appropriate attire. If in doubt, go with the smart option, but don’t overdo it. Don't use any heavy aftershave or perfume and be careful to consider the amount of make-up and/or jewellery you wear.4)After the interviewIf you're unsuccessful, use it as an opportunity to improve. Ask for feedback from the interviewer. You're entitled to it! If you were skills or competency tested, ask for the results. This shows initiative and keenness on your part, as well as boosting your future interview success chances; the interviewer might consider you for future vacancies at the company based on this action alone.these are some tips for job interview I hope you will be successful. Find more on interview tips click here
Well following are Dos and Don'ts to follow in interviews :

DOs
1. Handshake
At the time of entering the interview room it is very crucial to give a prompt handshake to the interviewer. To show the confidence level of the candidate it is very important to give a firm handshake.
2. Have a good outfit
Although it is said you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, still first impression counts and therefore wear clean and well groomed clothes.
3. Hold Eye Contact
You will be more appealing and appear as if you are interested if you hold a good eye contact and you will connect with them and respond well at the interview.
Don’t’s
1. Turn Up Late
Don’t be late to the interview as it will create a bad impression and you will be considered unreliable and hap-hazardous candidate. It is always advised to be early by 10-15 minutes and also calculate about the journeying time from your home town to here.
2. Bad-mouth
Do not tell bad about your ex employees or colleagues irrespective of the type of interview, even an informal one as it will create an image that you are untrustworthy and troublesome employee.
3. Don’t take it casually
Don’t be unorganized or forgetful by appearing to the interview without CV copy, work experience letter etc. Most of the time you will be revealed whether to bring the documents or not.
Some really good tips already! Thank you to everyone who’s replied :biggrin:
There are a lot of tips to search for a job. Interview skills come from experience and there is no second impression. you have to figure it out the right way to land a right job for you. There are a lot of ways :

1. Preparation: Do your homework? Research can be the best option before landing on any job. Research about the company, culture, and industry.

2. Social Media:- Nowadays, social media can become the enigma for the various company. One of the best platforms is LinkedIn to attract and engage thousands of job seekers. LinkedIn is the best platform for employer and Job seekers to share their details with each other and find a job very quickly.

3. Job Portal:- Nowadays, there is a lot of job portal to find the job and they are giving a lot of benefits like you can create and make CV with the help of professionals in this industry.

4. Referral:- you can take help from family, friends, and consultant to find a job. In my point of view, these are few people who can guide you throughout your career.

5. Take your chances :- if this is not enough, you can call company Hr upfront and ask whether there is any job available or not. Visit their website, here you can find all the information about the company.
1) Like what @sandeshbukate I think that handshakes are so so important, a person with a good handshake will always impress the interviewer but make sure you're hands are clean and not sweaty and that your nails are neat.

2) Be natural and appear confident (even though you may be a nervous wreck inside😂) don't slouch and sit properly.

3) When answering questions be honest and true to yourself, if they ask you basic questions give them answers which are out of the box and special (but nothing weird)

4) Always always always say thank you at the end, thank the interviewer for their time and go in for another handshake.
Do your preparation for the day before.

Forget all the judgemental alpha male stuff about a smart hair cut, firm handshake and staring people in the eye to psych them out and all that stuff. Whatever you do will probably be fine. However much people go on about being 'confident' it's not that simple, just forget about stuff like that.

Listen intently to the interviewer and base your responses on really listening. too much of the focus on interview advice is on you (see above).

Be yourself. Take the day off. Meditation/breathing the hour before the interview. Don't arrive too early. Afterwards no past match analysis, go to the cinema or a bike ride or meal out.

Be friendly - a smile can go a long way!

Use previous experience, including volunteering experience, to back up what you say.

Provide plenty of detail, e.g don't just say "I have good communication skills", expand on this such as "My communication skills include excellent verbal and written skills, but most importantly listening skills. I believe active listening to others is essential in team work and for customers to help them feel appreciated and valued" - obviously this is a bit vague still as it's a blanket type phrase, but personalise it to the job.

Be honest if you don't know, but also back it up with where you could find out, e.g senior colleagues, journals etc.

Do some research about the place, to show you want to work there in particular and what they have to offer you too!

Have some questions prepared too - for example what supervision they offer, training opportunities etc. You need to make sure you like them and want to work there as well as them liking you!

Active listening isn't a vague phrase, it is just relatively rare in the workplace.
Agreed, as the interview(s) will be different people for different jobs, there is no set way of doing a 'perfect' interview. Sometimes you have to read whether they are more informal or want a more formal approach :smile:
N.B. This was originally written some months ago with university interviews in mind

- Act comfortable not confident. Trying to appear confident risks looking cocky. Behave as though you are enjoying being in the environment and that the idea of a one-to-one is something you would like and be suited to. So relax and feel as though you fit naturally into that academic environment.
- THINK ALOUD. This is the big one. Listen to the question, think about the answer, communicate these thoughts to the interviewer. Don't feel that you have to deliver a succinct answer quickly: this is a discussion, not a quiz. The interviewers wish to see your thought pattern, they wish to see the logic you are following in order to reach your point of conclusion (i.e. your definitive answer). Don't rush that. Don't be afraid of silence either, but if you are thinking seriously about the question then do it out loud.

- Stop and evaluate yourself as you go. Don't feel like you need to stick rigidly to everything you've said. I found myself partly disagreeing with my first sentence in my response after I'd thought about it (aloud) for a couple of minutes. Don't be afraid to stop and say "well actually, when I first said that... it might actually be ..." This doesn't show indecision, it shows you're open to other ideas and it means you're making your answer stronger. The interviewers will try to throw problems at the answers you give anyway, so anticipate what those might be as you're delivering your response and answer them before they're asked.
Original post by shadowdweller
Interviews are certainly a challenging prospect for a lot of us, but one that with practise can become easier. Practise, and making use of tips and advice, that is.

So what are your top interview tips? And is there any commonly shared advice that you disagree with?

1) Always answer the interviewer(s)' questions in more detail. Remember, they need to know more about you as a person and your personality and overall building a meaningful conversation - so try and avoid just answering 'yes' and or 'no.'

2) Try and use recent examples of past work and or personal experiences when interviewer(s) ask competency-based type questions.

3) Always ask questions at the interview - however obviously avoid questions such as salary and benefits. The interviewer(s) want to know your genuine interest in the company and how they can help benefit your career!
Some really good tips already! Thank you to everyone who’s replied :biggrin:

is there a thread about what to wear for interviews (i feel the need for a new suit as I feel mine is jinxed) :lol:
Original post by quasa
is there a thread about what to wear for interviews (i feel the need for a new suit as I feel mine is jinxed) :lol:

I don't believe there is, although I will confirm this soon - I can make one if you think it would be useful? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you have a lady interviewer, don't get caught staring at her bags of fun as it's considered rude.
I don't believe there is, although I will confirm this soon - I can make one if you think it would be useful? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

sounds like a good idea as it something people have asked me regarding interview tips for jobs at top hospitals (personally I hate wearing ties and suit jackets and am kinda hoping there is a way to weasel out of them at interviews :lol:)
Original post by quasa
sounds like a good idea as it something people have asked me regarding interview tips for jobs at top hospitals (personally I hate wearing ties and suit jackets and am kinda hoping there is a way to weasel out of them at interviews :lol:)

I’ll make a note about this and make a thread for it soon - thank you :biggrin:
I’ll make a note about this and make a thread for it soon - thank you :biggrin:

I found this thread yesterday on tsr for interview attire for men.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/life/fashion-beauty/interview-attire-for-men

Considering there isnt a thread for women attire for interviews, I reckon creatinga new thread for that topic could be interesting (considering Im not into fashion, I have no idea about female interview attire)
(edited 5 years ago)
Interview tips:
- Give examples
- Print out the person spec beforehand and highlight the key words and skills. Use these in interview
- Be impressive right at the start. A well-researched passionate answer to the opening question can go a long way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending