The Student Room Group

Help! Foundation diplomas vs. A-levels

Hello,
I live in a small state with only three schools offering A-Level courses. My previous school was a start-up and I was the only student doing my IGCSEs. The school and was able to carry me through them [I tooks Maths(B), English (A), English Literature(A*), Combined Science(A*) and Art and Design(A*)] and they promised to see me through until university. A day before AS ended, the school decided to cancel the A-Level programme for malicious reasons and since I wasn't taking a staged route for my A-Levels, I haven't taken my AS exams as yet. I had to find a new school but they didn't offer the subjects I was previously doing (English Literature, Art and Design and Maths) and thus I had to start all over (I've taken English, Psychology and History - subjects I have no interest in whatsoever). Having wasted a year, I wanted to look for more options because I have come to realise I am not interested in traditional schooling. I want to pursue art in the future and I found UAL's Foundation Diploma Art programme which requires only one GCE A-Level, three GCSEs and of course a portfolio. Do two AS courses (since they are worth half a credit each) equate to a single A-Level course? Or should I only one subject and stake my chances on that?
Original post by Discombobulate_
Hello,
I live in a small state with only three schools offering A-Level courses. My previous school was a start-up and I was the only student doing my IGCSEs. The school and was able to carry me through them [I tooks Maths(B), English (A), English Literature(A*), Combined Science(A*) and Art and Design(A*)] and they promised to see me through until university. A day before AS ended, the school decided to cancel the A-Level programme for malicious reasons and since I wasn't taking a staged route for my A-Levels, I haven't taken my AS exams as yet. I had to find a new school but they didn't offer the subjects I was previously doing (English Literature, Art and Design and Maths) and thus I had to start all over (I've taken English, Psychology and History - subjects I have no interest in whatsoever). Having wasted a year, I wanted to look for more options because I have come to realise I am not interested in traditional schooling. I want to pursue art in the future and I found UAL's Foundation Diploma Art programme which requires only one GCE A-Level, three GCSEs and of course a portfolio. Do two AS courses (since they are worth half a credit each) equate to a single A-Level course? Or should I only one subject and stake my chances on that?

What course is it you wish to do?

It would have been silly to do A levels you werent interested in.
I think I would have taken the AS and then self taught myself the A2, although the art and design would have been prolematic as it requires assessment.

You should ask UAL whether they will cosnider 2x AS, but normally all the unis I have seen dont n normally allow that. They might allow you to add the points up.
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator

The portfolio will be the most important.
Your best bet is to ask them.

Having looked at the page I would do one A level in Art and Design. You may have difficulty with that because of the assessment element.

http://www.arts.ac.uk/csm/courses/foundation/foundation-diploma-in-art-and-design/

You should also take note of the international fee.
Original post by 999tigger
What course is it you wish to do?

It would have been silly to do A levels you werent interested in.
I think I would have taken the AS and then self taught myself the A2, although the art and design would have been prolematic as it requires assessment.

You should ask UAL whether they will cosnider 2x AS, but normally all the unis I have seen dont n normally allow that. They might allow you to add the points up.
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator

The portfolio will be the most important.
Your best bet is to ask them.

Having looked at the page I would do one A level in Art and Design. You may have difficulty with that because of the assessment element.

http://www.arts.ac.uk/csm/courses/foundation/foundation-diploma-in-art-and-design/

You should also take note of the international fee.

Thank you for replying!

I sent an enquiry form to UAL and got a response from CCW:
You really need one full A Level as we need to be sure that you can study a subject in depth.
It will really help if it is art though as you will need a good portfolio of artwork to get onto the foundation course.

I think it makes sense to only take Art and Design. The problem with my school is that the no one out of the current batch of A-Level students opted to take it, however, next years batch has. My options are to either convince the school to allow me to independently study the course (as I have completed some of the coursework in my previous school), or I sit in the corner of the IGCSE classes, or even just take a class like English and push through it to get the one A-Level.
Original post by Discombobulate_
Thank you for replying!

I sent an enquiry form to UAL and got a response from CCW:
You really need one full A Level as we need to be sure that you can study a subject in depth.
It will really help if it is art though as you will need a good portfolio of artwork to get onto the foundation course.

I think it makes sense to only take Art and Design. The problem with my school is that the no one out of the current batch of A-Level students opted to take it, however, next years batch has. My options are to either convince the school to allow me to independently study the course (as I have completed some of the coursework in my previous school), or I sit in the corner of the IGCSE classes, or even just take a class like English and push through it to get the one A-Level.

That is just what ist says on the entrance criteria.
Cant you find another school which does it? the problem with art and design is that it needs assessing.

http://www.cambridgeinternational.org/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-international-as-and-a-level-art-and-design-9704/
http://www.cambridgeinternational.org/i-want-to/find-a-cambridge-school/

You could ofc do another A level, but art and design would be ideal as you could use some of that work for your portfolio. the choice is yours.

I cant vouch for it at all but there are some online A levels.

Maybe you could get the teacher at your school if they wont agree to run it, but if the teacher is in place they may agree to assess the work if you pay them?

Quick Reply

Latest