The Student Room Group

Can I release myself into clearing even if I meet the grades for my firm?

After going to many offer holder days i'm not really happy with the course I picked.So my firm (ucl) want AAA on results judging on how my exams went I feel like i've achieved it but i'm not sure if I managed higher. If I did then I would just go through adjustment on results days if not can I withdraw from UCL and go through clearing on my own accord.
Also will withdrawing from ucl affect my chances of applying to other courses at ucl as I still want to go to ucl but maybe for a different course in the future.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
After going to many offer holder days i'm not really happy with the course I picked.So my firm (ucl) want AAA on results judging on how my exams went I feel like i've achieved it but i'm not sure if I managed higher. If I did then I would just go through adjustment on results days if not can I withdraw from UCL and go through clearing on my own accord.
Also will withdrawing from ucl affect my chances of applying to other courses at ucl as I still want to go to ucl but maybe for a different course in the future.

Wouldn’t it come under adjustment?
Why on earth is this in the "Health" forum?
Original post by Anonymous

Heya, I've moved this to Applications, Clearing and UCAS for you as you'll get a response here.

It is possible to be released into Clearing - you will need to ring UCL and explain to them that you want to go in to Clearing. DO NOT ask them to withdraw you as this will completely withdraw your application which is not what you want to happen! To avoid confusion you need to explain to the uni what you want to happen - that you want to go into Clearing :smile: If you want to study another course at UCL ring them up and ask them about whether that would be possible.

There are other people here who know a lot more about the UCAS process than I do who will be able to confirm/clarify this.

Bear in mind it's big change so if you feel like this is what you want to do I would start researching potential universities now so you're ready when the time comes. Also bear in mind it's a risk as you might not be able to find a course you like through Clearing.
Original post by black tea
Why on earth is this in the "Health" forum?

loooooooooooooooool I wanted to be anonymous
Original post by ohdearstudying
Wouldn’t it come under adjustment?

NO because adjustment is when you've exceed your course requirements and i'm not sure i've exceeded AAA
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Heya, I've moved this to Applications, Clearing and UCAS for you as you'll get a response here.

It is possible to be released into Clearing - you will need to ring UCL and explain to them that you want to go in to Clearing. DO NOT ask them to withdraw you as this will completely withdraw your application which is not what you want to happen! To avoid confusion you need to explain to the uni what you want to happen - that you want to go into Clearing :smile: If you want to study another course at UCL ring them up and ask them about whether that would be possible.

There are other people here who know a lot more about the UCAS process than I do who will be able to confirm/clarify this.

Bear in mind it's big change so if you feel like this is what you want to do I would start researching potential universities now so you're ready when the time comes. Also bear in mind it's a risk as you might not be able to find a course you like through Clearing.

Should I ring ucl on results day? I'm not sure if they'll be willing to release me into clearing as i've potentially cost them a place on one of their competitive courses.So just to clarify if I withdraw from ucl I won't be released into clearing.I'm pretty sure I want to go to UCL and not any other uni so I might just have to take a gap year
Original post by alevelssss
Should I ring ucl on results day? I'm not sure if they'll be willing to release me into clearing as i've potentially cost them a place on one of their competitive courses.So just to clarify if I withdraw from ucl I won't be released into clearing.I'm pretty sure I want to go to UCL and not any other uni so I might just have to take a gap year

I'm slightly confused. If you want to go to UCL, why are you wanting to go into Clearing...?

If you tell UCL you want to go into clearing then universities are usually good at making this happen, but it might take some time and once you're in Clearing you might not be able to get a place on a course you want elsewhere.

If you want to swap to a different course at UCL I would ring them up and see if they are able to help you do this.

If you ask to be withdrawn your whole application will be completely withdrawn which is not what you want to happen as you won't be able to go through Clearing (can someone confirm I've got this right? :s-smilie: @SarcAndSpark @PQ)

Basically, it would be a good idea to get in touch with UCL as a first step and talk through what you want to happen with them and see what they say :smile:

If you want to switch courses at UCL, going into clearing probably isn't the best route- you should talk to the uni directly about a swap and if they will arrange this for you. If they have no spaces on the course you want or don't think you're suitable, they don't have to agree to a swap.

They can arrange the swap without you going into clearing and it's easier for both you and the uni this way. Call them up and have a chat about the course you want to switch to- before results day might be better as the uni is going to be less busy.

If you do decide you want to be in clearing, I agree it's best to avoid language like withdrawn and released- just ask for the outcome you want i.e. "to end up in clearing on results day". But this isn't what you want if you want a different course at the same uni. You also don't want adjustment either.

I'm slightly confused. If you want to go to UCL, why are you wanting to go into Clearing...?

If you tell UCL you want to go into clearing then universities are usually good at making this happen, but it might take some time and once you're in Clearing you might not be able to get a place on a course you want elsewhere.

If you want to swap to a different course at UCL I would ring them up and see if they are able to help you do this.

If you ask to be withdrawn your whole application will be completely withdrawn which is not what you want to happen as you won't be able to go through Clearing (can someone confirm I've got this right? :s-smilie: @SarcAndSpark @PQ)

Basically, it would be a good idea to get in touch with UCL as a first step and talk through what you want to happen with them and see what they say :smile:

I think you're right, but I'll let @PQ confirm.
NO because adjustment is when you've exceed your course requirements and i'm not sure i've exceeded AAA

lmao i found the answer but you're rude af response means you aren't getting it

Just ring them today and ask whether it’s possible to be considered for the other course if you do well or whether they recommend a gap year instead.

Oh okay this whole system makes sense now thank you!! I don't want to contact them before results days in case i've missed my grades which although i doubt can still happen and will be very embarrassing lmao.So I guess like you said my best bet would be to ring up UCL on results day and try to switch courses, I know they allow this with similar courses but the course i'm going for although still sciencey is very different (engineering to another scientific discipline) but i'll call and see what they can do. I guess i shouldn't withdraw my application.I only wanted to go into clearing so I can maybe have another chance at another course at UCL but clearly this is better done internally.Also one last question what number do I call on results day?
Thank you again for all the help!!
Original post by SarcAndSpark
If you want to switch courses at UCL, going into clearing probably isn't the best route- you should talk to the uni directly about a swap and if they will arrange this for you. If they have no spaces on the course you want or don't think you're suitable, they don't have to agree to a swap.

They can arrange the swap without you going into clearing and it's easier for both you and the uni this way. Call them up and have a chat about the course you want to switch to- before results day might be better as the uni is going to be less busy.

If you do decide you want to be in clearing, I agree it's best to avoid language like withdrawn and released- just ask for the outcome you want i.e. "to end up in clearing on results day". But this isn't what you want if you want a different course at the same uni. You also don't want adjustment either.

I think you're right, but I'll let @PQ confirm.

Yeah my bad I thought it would be easier to go into clearing than do an internal transfer but clearly that's not the case. I definitely don't want to be in clearing on results day if that's how it is going to be. I'll definitely give them a call on results day. (Not before as I don't want to risk the embarrassment of missing my grades after asking for a transfer) Thank you so much for the great explanation!:smile:
Original post by PQ
Just ring them today and ask whether it’s possible to be considered for the other course if you do well or whether they recommend a gap year instead.

Who do I ring? the admission office for my course or general admissions and where do I find their numbers please??
Reply 14
Oh okay this whole system makes sense now thank you!! I don't want to contact them before results days in case i've missed my grades which although i doubt can still happen and will be very embarrassing lmao.So I guess like you said my best bet would be to ring up UCL on results day and try to switch courses, I know they allow this with similar courses but the course i'm going for although still sciencey is very different (engineering to another scientific discipline) but i'll call and see what they can do. I guess i shouldn't withdraw my application.I only wanted to go into clearing so I can maybe have another chance at another course at UCL but clearly this is better done internally.Also one last question what number do I call on results day?
Thank you again for all the help!!

I would really advise calling before results day. Yes, you might not end up making the grades, but it's worth risking a chance of a little embarrassment for something so important. It just doesn't make any sense to wait. UCL are going to be bombarded with calls on results day and I think you'll have far more hassle, and more importantly lower changes of success, if you wait til then to call.

Maybe you could at least contact them now and say that you're potentially considering changing courses, so they have a slight warning - and if it's an outright no to changing courses internally it's better to find out earlier so you have less chaos on results day and can go straight to looking for clearing places.

You can probably find the number on UCL's website, or just email them
Original post by ohdearstudying
lmao i found the answer but you're rude af response means you aren't getting it

Loooool you're so sensitive the no was accidentally capitalised and my response was no where near rude but okay. Dw I've already found the answer and tbh I don't expect much help from someone who doesn't even know what adjustment is lmaooo.:biggrin:
Original post by Oxblood
I would really advise calling before results day. Yes, you might not end up making the grades, but it's worth risking a chance of a little embarrassment for something so important. It just doesn't make any sense to wait. UCL are going to be bombarded with calls on results day and I think you'll have far more hassle, and more importantly lower changes of success, if you wait til then to call.

Maybe you could at least contact them now and say that you're potentially considering changing courses, so they have a slight warning - and if it's an outright no to changing courses internally it's better to find out earlier so you have less chaos on results day and can go straight to looking for clearing places.

You can probably find the number on UCL's website, or just email them

Ahhh yes that seems very logical, I guess i'll brave it and call them first them Monday morning. Who do I call though, the admission department for my course?Yeah i guess its better to know before results day whether or not I have the luxury of switching courses or will be released into clearing. If I do end up being denied a transfer and I withdraw, can I apply next year without prejudice to my application?
(edited 5 years ago)
Loooool you're so sensitive the no was accidentally capitalised and my response was no where near rude but okay. Dw I've already found the answer and tbh I don't expect much help from someone who doesn't even know what adjustment is lmaooo.:biggrin:

lmao I fired off an email to an admissions officer I know and got the answer within the hour. Lmao bye
Reply 18
Ahhh yes that seems very logical, I guess i'll brave it and call them first them Monday morning. Who do I call though, the admission department for my course?Yeah i guess its better to know before results day whether or not I have the luxury of switching courses or will be released into clearing. If I do end up being denied a transfer and I withdraw, can I apply next year without prejudice to my application?

The admissions department for your course seems like the logical place to start, and I'm sure if they don't know they can direct you to someone who does :smile:

I highly doubt it would prejudice your application next year. You'll be applying to a different admissions team since it's a different course, right? And even if not, they get so many applications they probably wouldn't remember yours tbh. And even if they did, they won't take it as an insult to UCL or anything - people sometimes realise they made the wrong course choice, it's quite common and reasonable
Reply 19
Dw I've already found the answer

Well done on taking the plunge! Do you mind if I ask what the answer was, just out of curiosity?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending