unilies
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I have been working for one of the biggest Engineering consultancies in the world for 2 years now. I'm currently on £28k and work outside of London.

Brother is 21 and works as a trainee maintenance engineer, i.e. did an apprenticeship and works with tools, and he is on £26k excluding overtime and perks like having a company van. Dad is a builder and is self employed and currently earns more than £60k a year, that's more than my manager whom is a charted engineer and highly respected in their field. My dad cant even read and write!

When I get secondment I find operators are on £50k a year.

Uni was a lie and waste of time. All the dept and time wasted not earning. You rack up dept and at the end some one swapping out a motor earns twice as much as the person who designs it.

Please consider other options before applying to university.

Don't say you need to love your job and that uni is for learning and development! You go to uni to get a better paying job and I have learnt more in 2 years while working that in 4 years of an Meng accredited degree.
spidle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Engineer is not a protected title in the UK so even though your brother didn't go to university to get an engineering degree, he can still be called an engineer. This could be part of the reason. Anyway, you have way more earning potential than your brother as you can progress and become a chartered engineer to earn more money- as for your dad, being a self employed builder is hard work. You will have to advertise yourself, find work yourself, buy all the equipment and tools, do your own taxes etc..
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by unilies)
So I have been working for one of the biggest Engineering consultancies in the world for 2 years now. I'm currently on £28k and work outside of London.

Brother is 21 and works as a trainee maintenance engineer, i.e. did an apprenticeship and works with tools, and he is on £26k excluding overtime and perks like having a company van. Dad is a builder and is self employed and currently earns more than £60k a year, that's more than my manager whom is a charted engineer and highly respected in their field. My dad cant even read and write!

When I get secondment I find operators are on £50k a year.

Uni was a lie and waste of time. All the dept and time wasted not earning. You rack up dept and at the end some one swapping out a motor earns twice as much as the person who designs it.

Please consider other options before applying to university.

Don't say you need to love your job and that uni is for learning and development! You go to uni to get a better paying job and I have learnt more in 2 years while working that in 4 years of an Meng accredited degree.
I think it's just a matter of knowing your worth and also not being afraid to make demands when you need to. I'll give you 2 examples:

Example 1:

One of my close friends graduated with a BEng but had experience during his placement year with 6 or 7 different automotive companies like McLaren, JLR, Peugeot (just to name a few). He got offered a graduate role (graduate power-train engineer) through LinkedIn for £23k and he demanded higher pay given his extensive experience. The company ended up offering him £27k and he took the job.

2 days later he got another job offer for £32k and rejected it.

Example 2:

Two of my other friends did MEng's in Electrical Eng and Civil Eng respectively. First one ended up getting £28k (and had no relevant experience) and the other £27.5k (with about 3 summer internships done for that company).

Of course you'll get paid more abroad but in the UK high salaries are possible but you've got to be able to negotiate and fight for your worth. If you have the skills/experience + qualifications you will have negotiating power.
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's just not valued as much as it is in some other countries and the market is oversaturated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (46)
27.06%
No (124)
72.94%

Watched Threads