Should I be masculine and Clean Cut?

Watch
Anthony16
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
A couple of things before I ask my question:
When I say “clean cut” I don’t just mean hair I mean the type of person, you know short hair, neat appearance, usually pretty casual clothes like collared shirts and all that.
Okay, let’s get started.

So I’m kinda the edgy goth kid in my school, I’m 16, I have long curly brown hair (I straighten it), I wear all black, and I’m pretty thin and androgynous.
Recently though I have had this sudden urge to just change my self completely, I really want to get a haircut, I have a sudden interest in sports like football (American football), an urge to stand up straight, and started tucking my shirts in and exercising to build more muscle, overall even though I’m still goth and edgy and all that I have a much neater and masculine appearance, i even want to do better in school (to the point in which in studying hard in summer, something I rarely do at all) and have completely grown distaste with the idea of dropping out or not going to college.
I have no idea what happened, it’s probably something to do with puberty but I’m just wondering if I should give in and just be this new person or keep being who I’ve been and just blocking out these wants.
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anthony16)
A couple of things before I ask my question:
When I say “clean cut” I don’t just mean hair I mean the type of person, you know short hair, neat appearance, usually pretty casual clothes like collared shirts and all that.
Okay, let’s get started.

So I’m kinda the edgy goth kid in my school, I’m 16, I have long curly brown hair (I straighten it), I wear all black, and I’m pretty thin and androgynous.
Recently though I have had this sudden urge to just change my self completely, I really want to get a haircut, I have a sudden interest in sports like football (American football), an urge to stand up straight, and started tucking my shirts in and exercising to build more muscle, overall even though I’m still goth and edgy and all that I have a much neater and masculine appearance, i even want to do better in school (to the point in which in studying hard in summer, something I rarely do at all) and have completely grown distaste with the idea of dropping out or not going to college.
I have no idea what happened, it’s probably something to do with puberty but I’m just wondering if I should give in and just be this new person or keep being who I’ve been and just blocking out these wants.
can't hurt to give it a try
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
Well I’ll give you my opinion, I think this goth thing you say you are was just a phase, as a teenager we can be rebellious and it seems like you indulged in that a bit more then most. I think you should completely become what your mind is telling you to become, a man, you have the sudden urge to dress smart, act well, get a haircut, love sports, do good in school and be masculine because you are becoming a man, my advice would be get a cool short haircut (like a high fade or something), get some nicer less “edgy” clothes, and try out for football or something in your next school year, i bet 100% you’ll be happier
Daniel_M17
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, I would say completely that you should be masculine and clean cut, you are a guy, not a girl, you are finally coming out of your rebellious teenager phase and starting to truly become a man!
Anthony16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Daniel_M17)
Yes, I would say completely that you should be masculine and clean cut, you are a guy, not a girl, you are finally coming out of your rebellious teenager phase and starting to truly become a man!
What do you mean?
Anthony16
Rep:
?
(Original post by 02042000)
can't hurt to give it a try
I guess so, I’m gonna ask my cousin to drive me up (perks of being 16 and still no drivers license 😕) to sports clips so I can get a haircut next week anyway so I guess trying this different lifestyle out would really be that bad of a thing to try
username2400323
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Grow out a dench beard? 😂
inthedark1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Longer hair looks more masculine on most men, just past the ears but no longer than chin/shoulder length. Theres something about clean longer hair that gives a man more appeal/status. Short hair loks unhealthier reminds me a baldness.
Daniel_M17
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by inthedark1)
Longer hair looks more masculine on most men, just past the ears but no longer than chin/shoulder length. Theres something about clean longer hair that gives a man more appeal/status. Short hair loks unhealthier reminds me a baldness.
(Original post by inthedark1)
I completely disagree, I think in media (movies, books) Long hair on men has been shown as girly or if they have been like not able to cut their hair in 20 years, short hair is better for athletics and work in general, I think having a good short cut is way more masculine then long hair
inthedark1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Daniel_M17)
I completely disagree, I think in media (movies, books) Long hair on men has been shown as girly or if they have been like not able to cut their hair in 20 years, short hair is better for athletics and work in general, I think having a good short cut is way more masculine then long hair
Im the opposite ive always thought longer hair either gives off an image of intelligence (ie academics) or a more rugged/masculine look. Extremely short hair might be more convenient for a guy but just turns me off tbh it can look thuggish or as though a guy is covering up baldness. It does of course depend on the guy i guess too.
Anthony16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dragon5555)
Grow out a dench beard? 😂
What?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
57.17%
I don't have everything I need (191)
42.83%

Watched Threads