The Student Room Group

i'm sick of my life

I keep telling myself that I'm happy and content with where I am right now in life; now I'm starting to realize how much of a lie that is.

I hate everyone around me. We don't share any of the same interests, everyone is a social climber, snake, and out to get each other academically and socially. People laugh at me for being interested in politics, obscure house music, or even soccer (football haha, I'm a dumb American). I seriously couldn't give a damn about *****y pop music, taking selfies, or whatever shallow thing my classmates are talking about. I sound like a pretentious ******* right now.

Every day, I just lock myself up in my house, surf the internet, or go to my internship, play piano, practice basketball, study for the SAT, whatever. I feel like if I don't have friends or a relationship, I'd rather spend that time studying and improving my extracurriculars. The only reason I do anything is out of spite and for my future career. I do everything out of obligation, not passion. Always so...apathetic.

I've never had a boyfriend. People call me pretty but at the end of the day, guys just see me as either one of them or not worth their time. But then again, I've never actually liked a guy before. I've only fancied people online or whatever. I want a relationship but at the same time, I'm scared of getting distracted from school.

I'm just so sick of being depressed, thinking I'm better than everyone around me, not relating to anyone, and being alone. I hate the way I sound when I say all of this. I don't even know how to elaborate on any of this without sounding pretentious, redundant, or just boring. I just want to grow up and get the hell out of my city, my state, maybe even my country. What do I do? Do I just wait it out?
If you're in a state that voted Republican, don't worry, trump got your back.
Otherwise, you can only really seize the opportunities in front of you, to improve whatever skills you have to offer. Care not about where you're from, if you got it you got it :wink:
Well. I'm similar in some aspects. I couldn't care less about socializing, and other bad things happened during school, and outside school causing me to just stay inside all the time in my room watching TV and going on the net.
I also did a lot of extracurricular activities but only for my uni application.
But I realised something...you should do something your are passionate about. Everything that you are doing such as playing the piano and playing basketball will help you as it will improve your health, your mind etc.
All these things are making you a more interesting and better person.
It doesn't matter if you don't socialize with your school friends as long as you make at least one or two meaningful relationships
By the time you go to university, you will be able to meet many more people who share similar interests.
You don't need a boyfriend right now. Focus on studies and making yourself a better person, and soon enough, the right person will come for you.
Once you get to uni, you will only still talk to about 5-10 people from high school max. As you get older, you will meet new people who you may like more
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I keep telling myself that I'm happy and content with where I am right now in life; now I'm starting to realize how much of a lie that is.

I hate everyone around me. We don't share any of the same interests, everyone is a social climber, snake, and out to get each other academically and socially. People laugh at me for being interested in politics, obscure house music, or even soccer (football haha, I'm a dumb American). I seriously couldn't give a damn about *****y pop music, taking selfies, or whatever shallow thing my classmates are talking about. I sound like a pretentious ******* right now.

Every day, I just lock myself up in my house, surf the internet, or go to my internship, play piano, practice basketball, study for the SAT, whatever. I feel like if I don't have friends or a relationship, I'd rather spend that time studying and improving my extracurriculars. The only reason I do anything is out of spite and for my future career. I do everything out of obligation, not passion. Always so...apathetic.

I've never had a boyfriend. People call me pretty but at the end of the day, guys just see me as either one of them or not worth their time. But then again, I've never actually liked a guy before. I've only fancied people online or whatever. I want a relationship but at the same time, I'm scared of getting distracted from school.

I'm just so sick of being depressed, thinking I'm better than everyone around me, not relating to anyone, and being alone. I hate the way I sound when I say all of this. I don't even know how to elaborate on any of this without sounding pretentious, redundant, or just boring. I just want to grow up and get the hell out of my city, my state, maybe even my country. What do I do? Do I just wait it out?

You have similar interests to me. Friend? 🖒 Still, I ask that you call football by its name and not call it soccer lol.
You don't seem depressed. You seem perfectly fine. I know some people who are "social climbers and snakes". They can be really annoying, and I just found some friends who weren't. People like that exist, maybe you just need to find better friends.
I also am interested in politics! Certain people find that weird, and tell me that I'm weird (with the obligatory long hair flick and sneer) but, I don't care. I don't want to talk to them that much, and you shouldn't either. They act like they're so superior and so cool. When I'm nice to them they're like aww the cute lil child says hi. I'm the same age as them. Or else they say I'm a loser. Which I am, but I do well (better than them) at school and that's all I care about.
They are technically my friends, by the way. Not friend friends, but friends of a friend.
You sound like an awesome person, just ignore all the popular teenage clones.
I hate pop music and selfies too!!
Let's go and be pretentious together, with all the other teens that also hate that (a large proportion actually. Not everyone wants to be making silly faces and sticking their tongues out at their phones.)
You sound like you'll be successful, as you're studying. Also, I play the piano too (irrelevant, but who's your favourite composer and what style of music do you prefer playing?)
I don't like guys either, and I'm sure you're beautiful.
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
You don't seem depressed. You seem perfectly fine. I know some people who are "social climbers and snakes". They can be really annoying, and I just found some friends who weren't. People like that exist, maybe you just need to find better friends.
I also am interested in politics! Certain people find that weird, and tell me that I'm weird (with the obligatory long hair flick and sneer) but, I don't care. I don't want to talk to them that much, and you shouldn't either. They act like they're so superior and so cool. When I'm nice to them they're like aww the cute lil child says hi. I'm the same age as them. Or else they say I'm a loser. Which I am, but I do well (better than them) at school and that's all I care about.
They are technically my friends, by the way. Not friend friends, but friends of a friend.
You sound like an awesome person, just ignore all the popular teenage clones.
I hate pop music and selfies too!!
Let's go and be pretentious together, with all the other teens that also hate that (a large proportion actually. Not everyone wants to be making silly faces and sticking their tongues out at their phones.)
You sound like you'll be successful, as you're studying. Also, I play the piano too (irrelevant, but who's your favourite composer and what style of music do you prefer playing?)
I don't like guys either, and I'm sure you're beautiful.
Reply 6
Original post by hello_shawn
If you're in a state that voted Republican, don't worry, trump got your back.
Otherwise, you can only really seize the opportunities in front of you, to improve whatever skills you have to offer. Care not about where you're from, if you got it you got it :wink:

LOL just my luck, I live in the most southern, trump-supporting state possible :smile: Everyone around me is either close minded or doesn't care about politics/the well being of their own society. I saw videos of the Trump baby protest in London, I loved that!!
Reply 7
Original post by DEͥSTͣIͫNY
Well. I'm similar in some aspects. I couldn't care less about socializing, and other bad things happened during school, and outside school causing me to just stay inside all the time in my room watching TV and going on the net.
But I realised something...you should do something your are passionate about. Everything that you are doing such as playing the piano and playing basketball will help you as it will improve your health, your mind etc.
It doesn't matter if you don't socialize with your school friends as long as you make at least one or two meaningful relationships
By the time you go to university, you will be able to meet many more people who share similar interests.
You don't need a boyfriend right now. Focus on studies and making yourself a better person, and soon enough, the right person will come for you.
Once you get to uni, you will only still talk to about 5-10 people from high school max. As you get older, you will meet new people who you may like more

Thank you so much for the advice! You're so right. I'll focus on improving myself to the best of my abilities... Time will make everything better, I hope. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Dragon5555
You have similar interests to me. Friend? 🖒 Still, I ask that you call football by its name and not call it soccer lol.

Yes, friends now-I'll make the sacrifice to start calling soccer football and break away from my anonymity. (also I'm a PSG fan, but I'll let Barca grow on me XD)
Reply 9
Also, thank you to the Anon who last replied; that was really sweet :smile: My favorite composers are Saint-Saens and Erik Satie! I love that we share similar interests and feelings, we're in this togetherrrr
Original post by DEͥSTͣIͫNY

zz

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending