Turn on thread page Beta

Scarlett Johansson drops out of trans film drama after ciswashing backlash watch

The trans community found it offensive that a cis-gender would play a transgendered person.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...rama-1.4746389

If a cis can't play a trans, can a trans play a cis?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah wtf, you've got these lefties crying about how women should be able to play men's roles, and how black people should be able to play white people's roles, but OH NO A STRAIGHT PERSON CANT PLAY A TRANS ROLE OMG.

There'd probably be a similar backlash if a white person was to play a black person role, or if a man played a woman role.

Hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine, let a worse actress/actor fill in the role instead. I can't believe how idiotic people have become, wouldn't a high profile actress like Scarlett Johansson bring more attention to the issues transgender people love to scream about?

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous.

Cultural Marxists strike again.

Does this not bring more awareness for their community? You can’t have your bloody cake and eat it.

ReputationRep:
    I don’t understand, they couldn’t find a transgender person to play a transgender role? There are lots of really good trans actors.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Rainfall)
    I don’t understand, they couldn’t find a transgender person to play a transgender role? There are lots of really good trans actors.
    Considering the role shows the before and after I don't see the difference. And there aren't any trans actors with her visibility.

ReputationRep:
    You mean to tell us an actor is playing the part of something they are not? How outrageous!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    compared to oscar nominee Eddie Redmayne? :-(

my guess is she didn't pull out as much as she got sacked. producers probably found an actual trans person for the role and changed their minds. i feel bad for her.

ReputationRep:

This stuff needs to stop.

ReputationRep:
    She was playing a trans man. They should have got a man to play it, not a woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)

This stuff needs to stop.
    You know how I feel about this.

ReputationRep:
    So when some complain about there being black characters in BBC school documentaries and HISTORICAL shows it is "racism" yet when the left does it, it is totally valid.

The word "cis" also disgusts me, it is almost as if being normal is an insult to a large proportion of the left

ReputationRep:
    Eddie Redmayne a cis-straight man plays person born a man who identified as a woman... nobody panics.

Scarlett Johansen a cis-straight woman plays a person born a woman who identifed as a man and everyone just loses their minds.

ReputationRep:
    Some people have far too much time on their hands if they are worrying about utter tripe like this.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like the tumblr hordes have been released again. 2nd time she's been accused of "washing" in a movie, this is quite frankly ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    For such a tiny minority of people they do seem to be disproportionately shrill..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AngeryPenguin)
    The trans community found it offensive that a cis-gender would play a transgendered person.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...rama-1.4746389

If a cis can't play a trans, can a trans play a cis?
    I can understand why they would have an issue, but think back to the movie Lone Ranger. They chose a white man (Johnny Depp) to play a native American man and people questioned that. They chose Johnny because he is an excellent actor who could do the job well and create an excellent and enjoyable character. There are simply not many native American or transgender A list celebrity actors available to create a movie that could lead to great profits. Maybe in future, that lack of availability will become a thing of the past as we're becoming more and more accepting, but right now, it's just not possible or the logical answer for movie producers.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't acting portraying something you aren't, though? I thought the job of an actor was, you know, to pretend to be someone else, somebody different to themselves. No?

ReputationRep:
    sweet christ.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    It's not so much that people are saying it's 'offensive' for her to play a trans role, more so that there are so few opportunities for trans actors that at this stage it doesn't seem right for it to go to someone cis.

In the OP you give the example of can a trans person play someone cis, but that's rarely a chance they are given.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.